• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Danny Welbeck: Dan Out Ere

Status
Not open for further replies.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Its all about trajectory imo, Wenger has come down from his invincible days. Now that could be because of squad cost or any other reason, I'm not debating that(before trax comes after me with the hatchet), I'm just saying that Wenger's operating at a lower level than he was at the beginning of his career. Pochettino on the other hand has taken Sp**s above the level they used to be(again that could be because of discovering Kane or whatever). Until Poch tries and fails at a bigger club or even at Tottenham, the plaudits he's getting are deserved.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Its all about trajectory imo, Wenger has come down from his invincible days. Now that could be because of squad cost or any other reason, I'm not debating that(before trax comes after me with the hatchet), I'm just saying that Wenger's operating at a lower level than he was at the beginning of his career. Pochettino on the other hand has taken Sp**s above the level they used to be(again that could be because of discovering Kane or whatever). Until Poch tries and fails at a bigger club or even at Tottenham, the plaudits he's getting are deserved.
When Wenger chanced on a world class striker for next to nothing, he won some pretty impressive silverware and went a whole season unbeaten. Has Poch even won anything yet with his superstar?

When Wenger lost his star players and most of his cash due to the stadium build he still kept us top four, for over ten seasons. Let me ask you, do you think Poch will be able to do that when Kane goes?

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
People love to dismiss our last three FA Cups as success while Pochy is some hero in the modern game.
People are hypocrites. When Wenger said that getting 4th is like a trophy, everyone was laughing at him.
Now that he won 3 FA Cups in the last 4 years, but failed to get 4th for the first time in ages, it's a disaster.
However, they see Spuds getting 4th as an achievement that's bigger than winning a trophy.

progman07

Established Member
People are hypocrites. When Wenger said that getting 4th is like a trophy, everyone was laughing at him.
Now that he won 3 FA Cups in the last 4 years, but failed to get 4th for the first time in ages, it's a disaster.
However, they see Spuds getting 4th as an achievement that's bigger than winning a trophy.
Objectively, isn't that more about the dynamic of the two clubs? We are regressing slowly, while Sp**s are progressing. We have gone from competing for titles to not even competing for the top4, which looks worse than Sp**s reaching the top4 more often than before. When we used to celebrate top4, teams that had challenged us were Aston Villa, and Everton.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
When Wenger chanced on a world class striker for next to nothing, he won some pretty impressive silverware and went a whole season unbeaten. Has Poch even won anything yet with his superstar?

When Wenger lost his star players and most of his cash due to the stadium build he still kept us top four, for over ten seasons. Let me ask you, do you think Poch will be able to do that when Kane goes?
Who's to say what he will do and what he won't, I can't see the future. At this point of time he's doing great with his team and should be appreciated. If it turns out he isn't as good as everyone thinks he was, he'll face the music. And trust me, if he fails, the brickbats will be much worse than anything Wenger has had to deal with. You're suggesting that when Wenger won with the invincibles in 2004 people should've eased up on the praise because it could've been his last league victory.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

This.

They all mocked, what good is 4th place without a trophy. Now he's got more major domestic trophies than any other EPL team in the last 4 years. They're all saying what good are trophies if you can't even get in the top 4. :lol:

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Objectively, isn't that more about the dynamic of the two clubs? We are regressing slowly, while Sp**s are progressing. We have gone from competing for titles to not even competing for the top4, which looks worse than Sp**s reaching the top4 more often than before. When we used to celebrate top4, teams that had challenged us were Aston Villa, and Everton.
Exactly.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Who's to say what he will do and what he won't, I can't see the future. At this point of time he's doing great with his team and should be appreciated. If it turns out he isn't as good as everyone thinks he was, he'll face the music. And trust me, if he fails, the brickbats will be much worse than anything Wenger has had to deal with. You're suggesting that when Wenger won with the invincibles in 2004 people should've eased up on the praise because it could've been his last league victory.
No one can see the future bro. All we can do is speculate.

Poch is already failing, he hasn't won anything. As most of our fans have been keen to point out, top 4 isn't a trophy.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Objectively, isn't that more about the dynamic of the two clubs? We are regressing slowly, while Sp**s are progressing.
I'm not sure. They have been improving over the last 2 years while we fell a notch, but I think that's mostly due to Wenger being used to getting 4th towards the end of the league. He got complacent and Liverpool along with Spuds went ahead.
I think they'll regress back when the big boys start putting outrageous amounts of money on the table for Kane, Alli and Eriksen, to which Levy won't be able to say no.

This winter transfer market seems to indicate that we're cleaning house and will try to upgrade in the places we need so that we can compete again. Breaking the club record in 6 months on 2 strikers shows that we're trying to keep up with the crazy spending that's going on in football the best way we can.
However, Wenger's style of play and the lack of defensive organization can only take us so far. We seem to lack that final push that makes the difference between 4th and champions.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You say regressing, but Wenger got his average number of points last year . . 75. The last 4 years he's won more trophies than any other club.

If we drop to 5th or 6th then his league position has indeed slipped. But all other teams have cycled up and down, why not Wenger if he's rebuilding. He may get back into the top 4 next year in his final year if he finishes his rebuilding of the squad and buys a DM, CB and goalie. Also he might still might win another trophy this year.

Everybody taking the negative view.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Also he might still might win another trophy this year.
I'm all for optimism, but I just can't see us not conceding a lot against City.
When Wenger tries to be pragmatic against teams that press a lot and have firepower up front, it rarely works.
We beat them last year in the semis, but it's a different City now and I fear a horror show if he doesn't speed up the buildup, because their defense is still vulnerable, especially with how far up the pitch their back 4 goes when they attack.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I'm all for optimism, but I just can't see us not conceding a lot against City.
When Wenger tries to be pragmatic against teams that press a lot and have firepower up front, it rarely works.
We beat them last year in the semis, but it's a different City now and I fear a horror show if he doesn't speed up the buildup, because their defense is still vulnerable, especially with how far up the pitch their back 4 goes when they attack.
Your forgetting about VAR. Where will City be without offside goals and all that diving?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
No one can see the future bro. All we can do is speculate.

Poch is already failing, he hasn't won anything. As most of our fans have been keen to point out, top 4 isn't a trophy.
When have Sp**s ever won trophies. They never even made the CL regularly. They used to be sort of a whipping stick for the bigger PL clubs, but now they're regularly getting results against everyone in PL and CL. You cant see progress because it reflects negatively on Wenger.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

When have Sp**s ever won trophies. They never even made the CL regularly. They used to be sort of a whipping stick for the bigger PL clubs, but now they're regularly getting results against everyone in PL and CL. You cant see progress because it reflects negatively on Wenger.
I know they're playing above their spend for once, they done well with Kane and Alli.

But so what? Aren't they way overdue an upward cycle. The only relevance here is that this anomaly is being blown out of all proportion to thrash our manager.

progman07

Established Member
You say regressing, but Wenger got his average number of points last year . . 75. The last 4 years he's won more trophies than any other club.

If we drop to 5th or 6th then his league position has indeed slipped. But all other teams have cycled up and down, why not Wenger if he's rebuilding. He may get back into the top 4 next year in his final year if he finishes his rebuilding of the squad and buys a DM, CB and goalie. Also he might still might win another trophy this year.

Everybody taking the negative view.
I think about performances, not necessarily points. For example the Bayern defeats have been a really bad low point last year. Wenger is probably the only manager in the league who has chosen all of his players - why are we rebuilding? Also shouldn't we be rebuilding to compete for the title?

Fallout

unless your club is already at the very top of the game, all you want to see as a football fan is improvement.

for Sp**s, achieving top 4 on a regular basis is a significant improvement. for us, we've been a top 4 club for two decades. we've won premier league titles and been in a CL final.

i dont have strong feelings about poch, but you can't judge him using arsenal's criteria and conclude that he's failing. Sp**s have improved massively under his tenure, and they've overtaken our league position. he's been a success.

if, at any point, Sp**s appear to stagnate or go backward, then you can bet the knives will come out for poch as they have for wenger. until then, we have to accept that poch's recent body of work is worthy of the praise he's getting.

and, having overtaken us at a smaller club ... with less spending ... and doing so by developing young players ... he currently appears to be a better manager than wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom