• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Took the time to watch a few of his matches with Rwanda. Kid will get there, he’ll be an Arsenal great.

StefanB

Iwobi is incredibly talented. Problem is confidence and lack of conviction/urgency.

His ball control, dribbling ability, passing, pace and size is phenomonal. He just needs someone to keep working with him.

He can be a really really great player if the trainers work with him enough.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Laces ting doe. Bare lengin' and rassin' will set him free. We need a coach who's a nitty grime-lord leng man. Wenger isn't that.

Reactions: A_G

OSBK

Established Member
Could also be the inability of the manager to genuinely improve these players.

Look at Pep's work with Sterling.

Even pep cannot turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.

Sterling was 5 times the player iwobi is before pep, the quality was there. I just dont see that quality in this youth we have got. Compared to the top teams in the epl our players coming through seem to be a league behind them.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Sterling was 5 times the player iwobi is before pep, the quality was there.

I'm not a big fan of Iwobi myself, but I think the timeline might obscure things a bit. Sterling did look the slightly brighter talent at the point of his breakthrough, but not exatly 5x times. Iwobi looked an astonishing talent when he played his first games. Thing is, he hasn't added anything to his game since then - and that's exactly what coaches are for. So I don't think it's just down to the players' talent alone.

If you compare their third or fourth seasons, that's where the difference is. When he went to City, Sterling was probably 5 times the player Iwobi is now after roughly the same time in the league. But that just means it wasn't just until pep that Sterling got better, but already 'pools coaches had developed him further than Arsenal's staff did with Iwobi. And that's alarming.

On the other hand, maybe there's something off with the guys determination and motivation. I wouldn't put that too far beyond, with all the stuff about him always being late, etc.

OSBK

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of Iwobi myself, but I think the timeline might obscure things a bit. Sterling did look the slightly brighter talent at the point of his breakthrough, but not exatly 5x times. Iwobi looked an astonishing talent when he played his first games. Thing is, he hasn't added anything to his game since then - and that's exactly what coaches are for. So I don't think it's just down to the players' talent alone.

If you compare their third or fourth seasons, that's where the difference is. When he went to City, Sterling was probably 5 times the player Iwobi is now after roughly the same time in the league. But that just means it wasn't just until pep that Sterling got better, but already 'pools coaches had developed him further than Arsenal's staff did with Iwobi. And that's alarming.

On the other hand, maybe there's something off with the guys determination and motivation. I wouldn't put that too far beyond, with all the stuff about him always being late, etc.

have to agree about attitude. like most of the younger players we have they all look like they are all so laid back its unreal. sure iwobi is young and his quality will dip up and down but his work ethic is disgusting, watch rashford who puts 150% every minute he plays then iwobi who just doesn't. a manager cannot install attitude and commitment, that comes from the player and there is something very wrong with our current breed.

as for the sterling comparison, i get your point but at every stage of when both players came onto the scene sterling has always looked a much much better player. the season with suarez he was fantastic but the season after his form dropped but the attitude and commitment was there and just don't see that with iwobi.

Change of manager, someone who can not just give fresh ideas but will force change upon players is what we need. Get the weak out and bring in the winners

Eduardo_da_Silva

He lacks end product and needs a good loan to polish his talent. Send him to spain to put them in on a regular basis, will do wonders for his confidence and when he comes back we will have a player.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
There is a reason why City paid £50m for sterling. When at Liverpool he was one of Europe's hottest young prospects.

Iwobi isn't even the best prospect at arsenal. There's a wide gulf between the two.

Iwobi has shown potential in the early days, however he hasn't improved much beyond that. Which is rubbish considering he's been in the team for almost two seasons now.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I'm not really sure of Iwobi's potential. I think that people see a young guy getting regular games for a big side and automatically think he's a solid prospect. In reality when you dissect his game, I'm struggling to see how he becomes a big player out wide or central. Most of his best play is when he's dribbling directly at opposition and finding space but sadly for him that's not really the Arsenal way. Even with that though I don't see him ever becoming at the required level in creating or goalscoring. He has a weird way of striking the ball.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Could also be the inability of the manager to genuinely improve these players.

Look at Pep's work with Sterling.

What about his work with Sterling ? Sterling was a heck of a player under Rodgers , had a down season as kids do . Sure he has improved at City but there's a reason they paid 50 mill for him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Laces ting doe. Bare lengin' and rassin' will set him free. We need a coach who's a nitty grime-lord leng man. Wenger isn't that.

:lol: I actually think that made it worse it's just not him . He's best when he's smooth , he's got to keep drilling at the training ground .

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Even pep cannot turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.

Sterling was 5 times the player iwobi is before pep, the quality was there. I just dont see that quality in this youth we have got. Compared to the top teams in the epl our players coming through seem to be a league behind them.

Absolutely agree with your point. Point which I was making is..even if Iwobi has some hidden talent then Wenger is not the right person to nurture it out of him.

Iwobi will be the death of Nelson at Arsenal.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
What about his work with Sterling ? Sterling was a heck of a player under Rodgers , had a down season as kids do . Sure he has improved at City but there's a reason they paid 50 mill for him.

Agreed but Pep has specifically worked with Sterling to improve his numbers. I read somewhere that Pep made Sterling run on straight lines during training to improve on his dribbling.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/guardiola-sterling-145615

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
:lol: I actually think that made it worse it's just not him . He's best when he's smooth , he's got to keep drilling at the training ground .
I don’t think he can hit it with his laces tbh. He probably thinks his ankle will explode as his instep hits the ball! As a kid I used to think water would drown my brain through my ears. He might need counselling.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think he can hit it with his laces tbh. He probably thinks his ankle will explode as his instep hits the ball! As a kid I used to think water would drown my brain through my ears. He might need counselling.
:lol: this might be true. Must have some kind of mental barrier.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
He's not a winger mind you. He should be playing more centraly as an understudy to Özil.

It's obvious his confidence is gone, he really needs a loan to a lower PL team. Bournemouth would be perfect.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
His end product and composure near goal are nowhere near good enough for a forward.
However he does have a powerful burst of speed for someone quite tall, he has quick feet and when he does come back and defend he actually does it pretty well, he's strong and he protects the ball well.

Similar to when Dembele was at Fulham, he was a number ten who excelled at carrying the ball and had really good feet but ended up with barely any goals or assists because he was terrible infront of goal.
I'd try him further back, we lack height and power in midfield and in theory strength and quick feet are a big help when you're being pressed.
Only thing would be is he could do with being more aggressive, I'm not sure if that is something you can improve upon as opposed to just the way you are.
He's not a winger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom