• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,155,516

Rashford recently said he feels like he develops most in training (as opposed to in matches), so that could be true.

Yeah if you followed me on here you would see I'm always doubtfoul about loans. Of course you can find a player a great loan where he can get competitive experience but more often I feel like players who we send on loan somehow go backwards. I always thing just being promoted to first team and train with few of best players in the world can do as much for you.

The only successful loan I can remember is Wilshere at Bolton and AMN maybe at Ipswich?

But sometimes it is also very hard to say no to loan player. Like take Gnabry for example. Premier league team wants him on loan, you can't say no. But that ended terrible and in the end we lost him. So maybe you can't blame for us trying to send players on loan? Maybe it is also a lot up to the players, I always tend to forget they also have to prove them selves. But like I say many times I sometime feels when they go on loan they are not in the best environment to prove themselves.

Finished 3-1

An excellent result for us

It put us in 2nd place with 35 points and Leicester with 36 points but we have one game on them.

I don't know if the setup for u23 was changed for this season but I think we were in 2nd division last season and got promoted last season. Or the season before. Not quite sure. But if we manage to win the u23 premier league that is one hell of a job.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It put us in 2nd place with 35 points and Leicester with 36 points but we have one game on them.

I don't know if the setup for u23 was changed for this season but I think we were in 2nd division last season and got promoted last season. Or the season before. Not quite sure. But if we manage to win the u23 premier league that is one hell of a job.
Think if Nketiah, Nelson and Willock are available for the remaining games, it should be a lock - although one of our games is against Liverpool and they're just behind us with all to play for themselves. And they're a strong team too - they had beaten us earlier in the season.

We're looking strong though - probably one of the strongest attacking teams with Nketiah, Nelson, Dragomir and John-Jules all capable of hurting teams in the forward line. Amaechi too, although he's still somewhat finding his feet at U23 level.

Think if Nketiah, Nelson and Willock are available for the remaining games, it should be a lock - although one of our games is against Liverpool and they're just behind us with all to play for themselves. And they're a strong team too - they had beaten us earlier in the season.

We're looking strong though - probably one of the strongest attacking teams with Nketiah, Nelson, Dragomir and John-Jules all capable of hurting teams in the forward line. Amaechi too, although he's still somewhat finding his feet at U23 level.

Where do we put John-Jules. He just feels like not getting any attention but when you watch him play you just can't help it but like him and want him to make it here.

I haven't seen much of him so maybe you want to tell me about his playstyle. I always imagine he scores goals but when I read about the games it always feel his all around ability is a lot to be desired.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Where do we put John-Jules. He just feels like not getting any attention but when you watch him play you just can't help it but like him and want him to make it here.

I haven't seen much of him so maybe you want to tell me about his playstyle. I always imagine he scores goals but when I read about the games it always feel his all around ability is a lot to be desired.
That's kinda funny. His all-round ability is probably his biggest strength. No real weakness - good height and physique, reasonably quick, technical, can dribble to a good standard for a CF, can play as a #10 or winger if needed. Think he has all the makings of a modern #9, probably even more than Nketiah - the latter just has a ruthlessness to his game that far enhances his strengths, while the younger John-Jules is probably a tad impetuous at this stage of his development, his red v LCFC a good example.

What's good is that John-Jules is already scoring goals at this level and acquitting himself well. The trouble really is sustaining the impact on games - something a lot of the players here have struggled with. DaSilva is one of the few who seems to play to a consistent level throughout a 90 minute game, but others - even Nelson - have lull periods in games. John-Jules isn't really any different, but his performances for the U18s show that he has an aptitude to play a multitude of forward roles, and as a CF, it means that he can be a threat in any given game.

His development definitely interests me, as it's difficult for strikers but of the last few CFs we have produced/acquired at that level (Akpom, Mavididi, Nketiah, Malen etc), John-Jules is arguably the most well-rounded of them in ability and aptitude (at this stage) bar maybe Mavididi. A lot can be done with a player like John-Jules, and given he's already impressed in his maiden appearances at U23 level and scored a bunch of goals, there's a chance he could mirror Nketiah's output next season, which would really see him become a contender. Keep an eye on him.

the latter just has a ruthlessness to his game that far enhances his strengths,

First just to be clear I liked the post, I read it all!

I just wanted to ask about the quote I have. Did John-Jules get some time with Henry? Because when Nketiah scored in Carling Cup, it was so much Henry influenced celebration. So much Nketiah create a slightly ruthlessness character. He just wanted to show he didn't give **** about anything but scoring a goals!

If John-Jules managed to get some time with Henry. It would be interesting. Because Henry had that thing which made him so great, he was above all and if John-Jules trained with him it is maybe something Henry tried to implement in them because he feels it is important for Arsenal strike to have.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
First just to be clear I liked the post, I read it all!

I just wanted to ask about the quote I have. Did John-Jules get some time with Henry? Because when Nketiah scored in Carling Cup, it was so much Henry influenced celebration. So much Nketiah create a slightly ruthlessness character. He just wanted to show he didn't give **** about anything but scoring a goals!

If John-Jules managed to get some time with Henry. It would be interesting. Because Henry had that thing which made him so great, he was above all and if John-Jules trained with him it is maybe something Henry tried to implement in them because he feels it is important for Arsenal strike to have.
He actually did train with Henry, mentioned it when he signed his pro deal in an interview for the dot com. Talked about attacking space if I recall. It's definitely no coincidence that Henry's time at the club influenced the strikers that were under his somewhat brief tutelage. They all improved as players and goalscorers. Nketiah, Mavididi, Malen and now John-Jules.

Checked out some of John-Jules stats on Transfermarket. He has 1o goals in 14 games: 6 in 8 for U18s and 4 in 6 for the U23s. This is a very respectable return.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I had nothing to do today so I made my first compilation video. It's of Xavier Amaechi this season. Check it out. This took a little while to make as I had to record the matches from my desktop screen :lol:.

I also made the music in the background myself.
Lovely stuff mate :)

If you don't mind the constructive criticism, I liked that you showed more in plays than just the contribution Amaechi made but that made it tough to follow which player Amaechi was at times. So if you could make some indication on who the player is that we're looking at, it'd go some way in making the vid more effective. The quality is also not super crisp, but I don't mind it too much.

Again though, it's generally good, thanks for making it!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Lovely stuff mate :)

If you don't mind the constructive criticism, I liked that you showed more in plays than just the contribution Amaechi made but that made it tough to follow which player Amaechi was at times. So if you could make some indication on who the player is that we're looking at, it'd go some way in making the vid more effecgtive. The quality is also not super crisp, but I don't mind it too much.

Again though, it's generally good, thanks for making it!
Cheers man, quality was a difficult part as my mac isn't running on the most powerful specs at the moment, needs a tune up. I'm still kinda getting the hang of Premiere Pro too so it's all good stuff you're suggesting!

Funny though, I decided on Amaechi because of the quality of his finishes but of the matches I recorded, Smith-Rowe looked like a complete monster. I think I'm gonna have to do him next, then possibly Saka and John-Jules.

Crocrodile

@MutableEarth @hydrofluoric acid or anyone else...

I feel as though our youth teams are built sort of vertically, as in players that don't succeed in forward positions get moved to other positions less attacking positions and midfielders move to defense, just my general observation. We are top-heavy and have been for years.

I 've been reading up on our prospects as I feel the youth academy is probably the most rewarding thing in modern football and I have a few questions for all of you:

1. Could anyone of you here tell me something about our defensive prospects? I think they often get left out of most talk on here, I 'd love to hear about guys who take pride in defending and are looking natural at it ( that 's something couple posters said about Sheaf).

2. Piggybacking on that point, how do you feel they play positionally and are there any guys who look that they have a good natural feeling for that part of the game?

3. With Per coming in to lead the academy, how do you feel he 'll do and what changes do you foresee with him coming in?

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
All this talk about Willock, but we have Kelechi Nwakali coming back this Summer too and Ben Sheaf.

It will be interesting to see how we can integrate these youngsters into the first team. Da Silva looks very good too...who's gonna come out on top?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth @hydrofluoric acid or anyone else...

I feel as though our youth teams are built sort of vertically, as in players that don't succeed in forward positions get moved to other positions less attacking positions and midfielders move to defense, just my general observation. We are top-heavy and have been for years.

I 've been reading up on our prospects as I feel the youth academy is probably the most rewarding thing in modern football and I have a few questions for all of you:

1. Could anyone of you here tell me something about our defensive prospects? I think they often get left out of most talk on here, I 'd love to hear about guys who take pride in defending and are looking natural at it ( that 's something couple posters said about Sheaf).

2. Piggybacking on that point, how do you feel they play positionally and are there any guys who look that they have a good natural feeling for that part of the game?

3. With Per coming in to lead the academy, how do you feel he 'll do and what changes do you foresee with him coming in?

Yeah, we've been incredibly top heavy since the Youth Cup win in 2009 and even before that. We produce midfielders and attackers more than defenders.

1. In terms of defensive prospects, the ones that have come to attention lately has been Jordi Osei-Tutu at RB and Daniel Ballard at CB. Zech Medley has also done pretty well and is already appearing at U23. He's a Chelsea product who used to be a winger but is converted as a CB. He's very solid in possession but occasionally makes mistakes, however he's very tall and good in the air. Ballard is the one I like though - real no-nonsense style player, aggressive defensively and good on the ball. Was nearly released but got his scholarship at the last minute and hasn't looked back. Osei-Tutu has been the most consistent defender at youth level though, and another right back - Vontae Daley-Campbell - has also been consistently impressive for the U18s. The latter looks like a very big talent. The left back Dominic Thompson is also one to look out for.

2. Ballard is the one who looks strong defensively from CB. Looks like he enjoys it, and he's often in good positions to turnover the ball. Again, the best defenders in the whole setup seem to be the right backs. They've gone from strength to strength both offensively and defensively and both are excellent 1v1 defenders.

3. Per is probably not going to do too much hands-on coaching, but I imagine/speculate there will be some emphasis on defensive organization - something much needed at youth level for us. We have an excellent attack presently and defensively we have improved but it would still be a welcome addition.

All this talk about Willock, but we have Kelechi Nwakali coming back this Summer too and Ben Sheaf.

It will be interesting to see how we can integrate these youngsters into the first team. Da Silva looks very good too...who's gonna come out on top?

Willock and Dasilva look like the front-runners at the moment. Nwakali is interesting because of how technical he looks as a player and quite imaginative too for a CM. Would like to see him stay at Arsenal next season hopefully. And Sheaf may likely go back to being a CB when he returns - I know that others like him in midfield. But Willock and Dasilva tick all the right boxes in their development. Both are powerful, athletic and technically secure.

Willock is the one most likely simply because he's the one who has had the most to prove and still held his own - starting in EL ties away from home in Belgrade of all places. He looks to have the right mentality.

You're absolutely right - it will be interesting.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Arsenal need to find a feeder club in some other league.

Manchester City have Girona in La Liga, Chelsea have Vitesse in Eredivisie and Liverpool have Southampton :lol:

We need to get into some kind of loan understanding with a mid table Serie A or Portuguese Club.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Schoolboy Bukayo Saka. One of the best performers at U18 level for us this season, will be a 1st year scholar this Summer. Very good all-round talent - powerful runner, strong dribbler and a very decent finisher. Has a final ball too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Youth Cup semi-final 1st leg v Blackpool kicks off in half an hour. As usual, not being shown anywhere - including arsenal.com so will have to follow the text and wait for highlights.

Interesting selection. Big game for Olayinka who's been in and out of the XI for U18s. Starts in defensive midfield. Ampadu is going for power and athleticism in this game. Saka drops to the bench and John-Jules starts at #10, with Coyle out-wide. Amaechi and Balogun will cause problems IMO.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Youth Cup semi-final 1st leg v Blackpool kicks off in half an hour. As usual, not being shown anywhere - including arsenal.com so will have to follow the text and wait for highlights.

Interesting selection. Big game for Olayinka who's been in and out of the XI for U18s. Starts in defensive midfield. Ampadu is going for power and athleticism in this game. Saka drops to the bench and John-Jules starts at #10, with Coyle out-wide. Amaechi and Balogun will cause problems IMO.
1-1 at HT. John-Jules with the goal. 11 in 15.

Aevi

Hale End FC

The "-"s and lack thereof made that lineup quite confusing to read :lol:

Top Bottom