• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger Stadium

Should Arsenal rename the Emirates Stadium after Arsène Wenger?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided/Not Sure/No opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

BBF

Yeah, I'd take that. Just giving him a stand would feel like a waste.

IslingtonBornandbred

Yeah, I'd take that. Just giving him a stand would feel like a waste.

I personally wouldn't at this stage. I think it's a bit much to be honest. It's quite unprecedented. I don't know. Ronaldo is Real's all time goalscorer and Messi with Barca. I think even when Messi retires, even if he retires at Barca it would be a bit much to rename the stadium Camp Messi or Estadio Messi.

To be fair, Ken Friar has his own bridge, but a statue, a walk way or something and maybe a large picture of Wenger on one of the stadium walls like they have of Henry and co would be good which I can see happening sooner rather than later but I reckon any talk of something major like the stadium would be decades away especially if he's going to continue managing.

BBF

I personally wouldn't at this stage. I think it's a bit much to be honest. It's quite unprecedented. I don't know. Ronaldo is Real's all time goalscorer and Messi with Barca. I think even when Messi retires, even if he retires at Barca it would be a bit much to rename the stadium Camp Messi or Estadio Messi.

To be fair, Ken Friar has his own bridge, but a statue, a walk way or something and maybe a large picture of Wenger on one of the stadium walls like they have of Henry and co would be good which I can see happening sooner rather than later but I reckon any talk of something major like the stadium would be decades away especially if he's going to continue managing.

He practically kept us competitive for a number of years when we really struggled financially moving into the stadium so I'm all for it. You could argue he practically made the move possible.

Messi runs Barcelona in the 21st century, it's mad to think he even eclipsed Ronaldinho's version of the club. There's no doubt he deserves the stadium named after him.

IslingtonBornandbred

He practically kept us competitive for a number of years when we really struggled financially moving into the stadium so I'm all for it. You could argue he practically made the move possible.

Messi runs Barcelona in the 21st century, it's mad to think he even eclipsed Ronaldinho's version of the club. There's no doubt he deserves the stadium named after him.

I agree with the sentiment but just not with the naming of the stadium for Wenger, Messi, Ronaldo or anyone else really. Just a personal preference of mine really. United have got the Sir Alex stand and Sir Bobby stand, but the Sir Alex Ferguson stadium doesn't sit right with me either.

Now something like the "Arsène Wenger Training Centre" is good with me but the actual stadium name wouldn't be something that I would particularly agree with, not because it's Wenger but because of my personal preference but bump this thread in 25 years and we'll talk :lol:

IslingtonBornandbred

I'm not sure you could deny this....

Hate to go all Trax on everybody but a 2.79 average finish with a net spend of -€33M is remarkable.

Well, I don't know all the details, but playing devil's advocate it's debatable. Wenger's success and the players he sold on contributed to it and fitted in perfectly but Danny Fiszman invested 50 million in the 90's and he, Ken Friar and David Dein were on the lookout and had plans for a new stadium since the mid 90's.

Wenger definitely played a massive role and the board and ownership at the time decided to finance the stadium in a certain way which meant very limited finances which did include some self-imposed restrictions but Wenger himself didn't just rock up and build a stadium, the likes of Fiszman, Dein and Friar all played massive roles themselves, Wenger's role was to hit his baseline targets which he did with limited funds available.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Danny Fiszman invested 50 million in the 90's and he, Ken Friar and David Dein were on the lookout and had plans for a new stadium since the mid 90's.
...., Wenger's role was to hit his baseline targets which he did with limited funds available.
But that is just it. Had we opted for a stadium move during the Graham years we may have been relegated. Wenger gave us stability during a time when the club could not back him financially in the market. That was the key... Finding a man who could over achieve in spite of limited funding... Wenger was that man.

The legacy was made somewhat vague by the expectations all of this created and the lack of living up to those new expectations.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Is this really a serious question? We are marginally behind most of our competitors with a stadium sponsor. People actually want to remove that and make us worse off. The greatest respect we can pay to Wenger is to make the club better off not worse off. A stand or a statue unless he is willing to pay to sponsor it himself.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom