• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mate, let's all laugh at Tottenham!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Nah, I'm butthurt because I wrote a tongue in cheek comment about Kane and I received a condescending post from the Batman talking about educating myself because I used the word feminist. Apparently making a comment that "vegan feminists" are whining that Kane being bullied is cringeworthy but altering the lyrics to an Adele song isn't.

I'm all for freedom of speech and people to post whatever they like. In London, if you are a little bit sensitive or something, it can just be a bit of banter to refer to that person as a vegan, feminist, pescatarian or whatever other weird descriptive word you want to use. I don't expect to be quoted by the Batman himself talking about educating myself so I don't appear super ignorant or refering to my post as cringeworthy when this forum is full of sexist remarks, drug use remarks, ****, and all sorts of comments, some from "trusted" members.
I know. I was just stirring the pot, mate.

Love how you refer to him as THE Batman.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
DbifjkpWAAA4P1d.jpg

cringeworthy stuff:lol:

It's exactly **** like this where media overhype the English NT so much so that when they fail, the pitchforks are well and truly up.

I remember back in 2006 and the "Golden Generation", there were big headlines as the team were boarding the plane to Germany: "Champions, see you in 4 weeks !"

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Nah, I'm butthurt because I wrote a tongue in cheek comment about Kane and I received a condescending post from the Batman talking about educating myself because I used the word feminist. Apparently making a comment that "vegan feminists" are whining that Kane being bullied is cringeworthy but altering the lyrics to an Adele song isn't.

I'm all for freedom of speech and people to post whatever they like. In London, if you are a little bit sensitive or something, it can just be a bit of banter to refer to that person as a vegan, feminist, pescatarian or whatever other weird descriptive word you want to use. I don't expect to be quoted by the Batman himself talking about educating myself so I don't appear super ignorant or refering to my post as cringeworthy when this forum is full of sexist remarks, drug use remarks, ****, and all sorts of comments, some from "trusted" members.

You might have meant it as a joke or whatever but the underlying point is that non of that is funny.

Calling someone who whines a lot a feminist is equating their struggle with pointless whining... It's not about being sensitive at all, it's about not furthering a narrative. You might not be sexist et al but making such jokes or statements isn't helping that cause.

Same with the drug/****/race jokes. They are not funny and should never be intended as such. Just because a trusted member said it, does not make it excusable. They should be called out as well.

IslingtonBornandbred

You might have meant it as a joke or whatever but the underlying point is that non of that is funny.

Calling someone who whines a lot a feminist is equating their struggle with pointless whining... It's not about being sensitive at all, it's about not furthering a narrative. You might not be sexist et al but making such jokes or statements isn't helping that cause.

Same with the drug/****/race jokes. They are not funny and should never be intended as such. Just because a trusted member said it, does not make it excusable. They should be called out as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's exactly **** like this where media overhype the English NT so much so that when they fail, the pitchforks are well and truly up.

I remember back in 2006 and the "Golden Generation", there were big headlines as the team were boarding the plane to Germany: "Champions, see you in 4 weeks !"
I really don't understand why people seem to get rattled by the English media getting excited or even 'overhyping' the NT. In 2006 it was almost justified. But since then, we've gone into competitions as recognised no-hopers by our media. Harry Kane is being talked up as our great hope, which is normal, because he quite simply is!

There is currently no expectations of the team in Russia. When we get a great player or a clutch of them, though, the media will have something to say about it because it's their job to whip the public up into a frenzy. It's not like they're shouting "We're the bestest forever!" or anything.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

So sensitive :lol:

If Kane and Tottenham had ignored it, people would have joked for a few days/weeks and moved on, their reaction just adds to the fuel..

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

So sensitive :lol:

If Kane and Tottenham had ignored it, people would have joked for a few days/weeks and moved on, their reaction just adds to the fuel..

Awwwh the tender little princess. Was the pea under his mattress disturbing his sleep?

The special Snowflake melts if you breath on him. HOLD YOUR BREATH, EVERYONE.

Reactions: A_G

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

It's a bit like the evolution of the word "gay" or even "faggot" in Germany. Its use as a derogatory label for unmanly men clearly stems from the dated conception of homosexual men as feminine and unmanly. About two decades ago, the word clearly indicated and attacked homsexuality, whereas by now, in most social circles, it has become removed from its homophobic roots, being a (still derogatory) term for someone whiny and unadventurous, interestingly transcending genders, even beiung used on objects, in this case taking on the meaning of cheesy or tasteless, while other terms have taken over its place as slurs for (male) homosexuality.

That doesn't mean we should use terms like "vegan" or "feminist" in a derogatory manner, 'cause the act of adhering to these ideas isn't something one should be dismissive about. Meaning if society was a bit more composed, tolerant and self assured, we wouldn't condescend to using terms denoting contrary stances on life/society/faith/etc. in an offensive manner.

Still, it's an intersting phenomenon regarding language and its use by society. The increased and/or continued use of these terms as slurs in popular speech tells us very interesting things concerning a) the e.g. vegan and feminist community, or better: their most visible representatives and b) those who initiate and perpetuate the use of these terms in a derogatory way and c) eventually their relationship.

So, basically, I can follow both your lines of thinking and think the most interesting/telling thing here is language/public speech and how it mingles with society. In the end it tells both groups something abouth themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom