• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
The case to why Arsenal will struggle post-Wenger was published a day later on the same website

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...ccessor-a-huge-do-list-and-it-could-be-brutal

IMO it's somewhere in the middle as it usually is with these things

This is a pretty sober assessment. We tend to see all things Arsenal with some rose tinted glasses but the reality, as least as far as the current squad is concerned, if pretty sobering. we do have great infrastructures but the personnel needs a major overhaul and there is a lot of work ahead.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If worse come to worse & they appoint a clown we can just sack them off next summer & bring Wenger back in as DOF.

Stan could not give a **** & probably has another son to parachute in.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
We don't want Benitez, Ancelloti, LVG types that have been to dozens of clubs, like second hand cars that have got arse dents in the seats.

We're Arsenal, the class club of the Prem. The one who brought in 'Arséne who?' and founded a dynasty.

Let's get some young hungry buck with something to prove like Arteta, Vieira.
It’s Arteta for me.

Keplaz

https://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20150325/-my-dream-was-to-play-for-arsenal-

Read that interview and tell me he's not basically been a coach his whole career. This is from 4 years ago and he's talking much more like a coach than a player.

All he has to do is coach the team and put on a good suit at the weekend, Sven & Raul will take care of the rest.

Wow. If he gets an interview and says anything like this, then the job is his. He might not be experienced but I think he can do a job here. He certainly talks a good game.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Well, I gained some faith this season when they hired Mislintat and Sanllehi. It was obvious they finally had a plan and were laying some groundwork for the eventual change. Those guys have a track record.
In fairness he had to hire them. It was too much for even Wenger at the end. The massive role Dein played should have been filled much sooner tbh. I'm more about judging him on our commercial deals which have a direct impact on player acquisition. This imo was the easy/easier part.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
One last plug for Arteta before I change my mind in the morning: he could do wonders for Xhaka. When Arteta was playing really well at the base of our midfield, keeping play ticking along, that was exactly what Xhaka is trying to be. So who better to mentor Xhaka than someone who understands exactly what it takes to perform that role?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
he's shown that he can be ruthless when the situation calls for it

not a nice characteristic, but a necessary one - and tbf he must have been exasperated at times dealing with Wenger
I don't mind ruthlessness. My doubts concern his ability on commercial deals and more lately on manager acquisition. I'd like him to be ruthless and tear up our Puma deal early for example. This is where he comes up short.

Longy

If only we knew.

The club knows who is coming.
The incoming manager knows.
The suspense is killing me.

1 more month to all is revealed.

The off field team is looking quite solid and refreshing.....

Ivan > Sanelhi > Sven > burgess > new manager/coach

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't mind ruthlessness. My doubts concern his ability on commercial deals and more lately on manager acquisition. I'd like him to be ruthless and tear up our Puma deal early for example. This is where he comes up short.

I'm not so sure. Gazidis isn't really an Arsenal man, he's just a money man, but he has made efforts to embody the values of the club. Tearing up deals before they've expired to sign one with someone else isn't something that Arsenal do, because they know that it devalues their reputation. For better or worse Arsenal try to be a trustworthy club, I think that's to be commended.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not so sure. Gazidis isn't really an Arsenal man, he's just a money man, but he has made efforts to embody the values of the club. Tearing up deals before they've expired to sign one with someone else isn't something that Arsenal do, because they know that it devalues their reputation. For better or worse Arsenal try to be a trustworthy club, I think that's to be commended.
I take your point but there are ways of doing things. I just don't like or trust the man. It's sort of irrational of me :confused:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
One last plug for Arteta before I change my mind in the morning: he could do wonders for Xhaka. When Arteta was playing really well at the base of our midfield, keeping play ticking along, that was exactly what Xhaka is trying to be. So who better to mentor Xhaka than someone who understands exactly what it takes to perform that role?

Does it not bother you that 9 of the players scheduled to be under contract next season are Arteta's former Arsenal teammates (just two years ago)? Being a manager is an entirely different relationship than being a teammate. You can get away with being something of a friend as an assistant coach, but you have to have a different relationship as a manager. How can they separate that? I think it would be very difficult.

While I've always thought Arteta seemed like a guy who had the qualities to be a good manager someday, we can't be sure. He's never managed a game at any level. And you want him to follow a living legend? That's a difficult task even for an experienced manager. There's a reason Ryan Giggs didn't get the Manchester United job, even with four games as interim manager and three seasons on the coaching staff.

I'd be thrilled if Arteta came back and joined the coaching staff, but with such a thin resume as a coach and no managerial experience, I think it would be an enormous gamble to appoint him manager. I suspect a lot of people are letting their fondness for Arteta get in the way of reason here.

pacstud

Whoever we get better have enough jaw to get the pennies wiggled out of Stan's f*cking coin purse or it won't matter.

A younger tactician with no balls to walk upstairs and start breaking things....no thanks.

ChefMan21

Does it not bother you that 9 of the players scheduled to be under contract next season are Arteta's former Arsenal teammates (just two years ago)? Being a manager is an entirely different relationship than being a teammate. You can get away with being something of a friend as an assistant coach, but you have to have a different relationship as a manager. How can they separate that? I think it would be very difficult.

While I've always thought Arteta seemed like a guy who had the qualities to be a good manager someday, we can't be sure. He's never managed a game at any level. And you want him to follow a living legend? That's a difficult task even for an experienced manager. There's a reason Ryan Giggs didn't get the Manchester United job, even with four games as interim manager and three seasons on the coaching staff.

I'd be thrilled if Arteta came back and joined the coaching staff, but with such a thin resume as a coach and no managerial experience, I think it would be an enormous gamble to appoint him manager. I suspect a lot of people are letting their fondness for Arteta get in the way of reason here.
I agree with this.

To get him into the team as manager, I think the only way would be to appoint an experienced head (like Jardim, Allegri, Ancelotti, etc) and have him as an assistant manager, on the understanding that if the experienced head left, then he would be given first crack at the job.

Alternatively, and it's a bit left-field, a joint Vieira/Arteta managerial team could be an (unusual) option, although it would have to be pretty clearly defined in terms of who does what. I'd need to be convinced because I've seen it in other sports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom