• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Loved Keown as a player but think he’s an awful pundit.

Frequently comes out with the most ridiculous rubbish - Gabriel being our best CB, Welbeck having the chance to make the CF position his own against Lacazette / Aubameyang etc.

Thought his Özil rant was frankly bizarre. Jenas looked confused as **** as well.

I personally don't mind him and the examples you listed don't do much to change that. Gabriel is a supremely talented CB but was yet another defender poorly managed by Wenger, who was prevented from playing his natural game and saw his confidence suffer as a result.

Is it really a coincidence that the only defender on our books who has show progression in the last 24 months is a kid who spent a season out on loan learning from a defensive minded manager?

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Not the reaction I'd hope for, regardless of whether Mourinho was right to say what he did. And I'm not surprised.

I've been wanting to bring that Mourinho situation up for so long every time I hear someone say he'd do well next to Ronaldo or under a better manager, but I just hate Jose that much that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

While I do agree that Mourinho has a point, his track record with any player with any attacking player in recent years is woeful.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Özil at Man City wouldn't get away with not working. Pep wouldn't touch him.

Hmm I get that argument and see your point, but I think Pep would work out a way to get the most from him. He'd no doubt work harder than he does now, but it's more with that ball that you'd start to see him thriving in the right spaces where as the moment it's a circus for us.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Frequently comes out with the most ridiculous rubbish - Gabriel being our best CB, Welbeck having the chance to make the CF position his own against Lacazette / Aubameyang etc.

Thought his Özil rant was frankly bizarre. Jenas looked confused as **** as well.
He was 1000% right about Özil. Jenas is a loser who probably looked confused hearing what a winning mentality sounded like.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah I couldn't understand it considering Özil did track back . My only criticism of Mesut this game is he should have been more aggressive in offense meaning take players on , shoot etc .

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...rid-jonathan-liew-europa-league-a8335701.html

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Cringeworthy. It’s always others players fault. When will this soon to be 30 year old koala bear of a man ever take responsibility for himself? All we have heard since he’s been here are excuses after excuses. We have tried all sorts of formations, tried different players, now we have another bunch of new personnel (Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan etc) but Özil and his fan girls are still blaming everything else but Özil.. The man is not a 24 year old that still got a lot of time left to impress. He is turning 30 years old and people are still deluding themselves about “He will come good”. Özil is 30 years old next season. Smh

Relax, don't start throwing insults. Part of my complaint was I wish Özil got goals all he ever does is pass it and that's not good enough for a player that plays so far forward. Plus Özil is never gonna be a dynamic player, we should never of made him our talisman.

progman07

Established Member
Yeah I couldn't understand it considering Özil did track back . My only criticism of Mesut this game is he should have been more aggressive in offense meaning take players on , shoot etc .

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...rid-jonathan-liew-europa-league-a8335701.html
Agreed. Özil's defensive weaknesses are usually over-exaggerated, however his attacking contribution is taken for granted. E.g. from the article:

Even a player as great as Özil, after all, is only as good as the movement around him. And with Danny Welbeck running into dead ends, Ramsey preferring to come short and take the simple pass, and Alexandre Lacazette swaddled in a blanket of Atletico shirts, Özil was too often forced to create something out of nothing.

I used to think that's a valid point, but I'm not sure about that anymore. Someone like Cesc made Adebayor and Hleb look like world-class attackers, while also scoring 20 goals a season himself.

If, as a part of the front three, he cannot score 20+ goals a season, he either should not play there, or should compensate with dominating every game, constantly asking for the ball and dictating the play, because right now we lose goalscoring potential with too many non-scoring players in the team.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
My only criticism of Mesut this game is he should have been more aggressive in offense meaning take players on , shoot etc .

That's the whole problem though isn't it? You could excuse him for what he does off the ball if whenever he got it, he was electric. He can't shoot, he can't take a player on and he can't control a game and at 30 years old, what you see is what you get to be honest.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
It wasn’t Özil’s work rate that was the issue on Thursday. For me it felt like he shied away from making the difficult pass or trying to make things happen. This more often than not tends to happen in big games. That’s not to say he doesn’t perform at all in big games but he tends to turn up when he wants (sometimes literally when we have a ****ty away fixture). With the wages he’s now on you expect much more than that.

As for Keown, I think he’s a bumbling arsehole. It’s always the players fault with Wenger rarely blamed. I think his biggest critique of Arsène has been that he’s too nice to his players. I’d be a bit more receptive to his punditry if he was more evenhanded.

Fallout

i hope the next manager removes him from the wing and brings him back to the cesc role.

Özil's only good season for the club came from that position and it's the only way we can dream about justifying 350k p/w.

buy a DM and put said DM behind Özil and next to xhaka. buy a real winger. sell ramsey who spends half the game goal chasing and will just get in the way of Özil.

otherwise just sell him for as much as possible and move on.

Jojoba

i hope the next manager removes him from the wing and brings him back to the cesc role.

Özil's only good season for the club came from that position and it's the only way we can dream about justifying 350k p/w.

buy a DM and put said DM behind Özil and next to xhaka. buy a real winger. sell ramsey who spends half the game goal chasing and will just get in the way of Özil.

otherwise just sell him for as much as possible and move on.
Sorry, but to me Özil has had his time of overhype. He has not earned that respect since he has been here. He is 30 years old and people are still talking about him like they are talking about a promising 24 year old prodigy, ““Give him this and that. Cut the grass to this length. Give him 7 mini breaks per season. Keep telling him how much we all love and adore him. Tell the fans to keep singing his name. Tell the media to only throw praises towards him. Give him the No10 shirt, that should help. Sign Ronaldo, Messi, Figo, Zidane, Henry and play Özil behind them (assists galore..) etc.”” Lol.. Can’t be having this same old stuff next season with a new manger.
I say, let the new manager get in and get us back to playing that energetic / buzzing style of football. The Özil style is so lukewarm and lethargic. Let’s start afresh and make each and every player fight for his place next season. This favouritism has got us nowhere but outside the top 4 for 2 straight seasons.
Make each and every player play for their Arsenal future during pre-season and next season..
Lets go back to being a serious manly club. We have become a club of cuties. I can’t stand it..

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Özil at Man City wouldn't get away with not working. Pep wouldn't touch him.
Pep would touch him, but Pep would get him working.

You think he’s gotten this far in his career by ignoring his manager’s instructions?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Pep would touch him, but Pep would get him working.

You think he’s gotten this far in his career by ignoring his manager’s instructions?
“You want the ball to your feet, you have to move!

"I want you to play as well as you can. I want you to go into tackles like a man. Do you know what it looks like when you tackle? No? Let me show you (mimes a flimsy tackle).

"That’s how you tackle. Ooh, I mustn’t get hurt. And absolutely mustn’t get dirty.

"You think two beautiful passes are enough. You're too fine for going into fights. You think you're so good that fifty percent is enough.

"Oh, are you giving up now? You’re such a coward. What do you want? To creep under the beautiful, warm shower? Shampoo your hair? To be alone? Or do you want to prove to your fellow players, the fans out there, and me, what you can do."

"If you are expecting Özil to be super aggressive and running miles and miles side to side and to show great enthusiasm and aggressivity - this is not Mesut ."

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

“You want the ball to your feet, you have to move!

"I want you to play as well as you can. I want you to go into tackles like a man. Do you know what it looks like when you tackle? No? Let me show you (mimes a flimsy tackle).

"That’s how you tackle. Ooh, I mustn’t get hurt. And absolutely mustn’t get dirty.

"You think two beautiful passes are enough. You're too fine for going into fights. You think you're so good that fifty percent is enough.

"Oh, are you giving up now? You’re such a coward. What do you want? To creep under the beautiful, warm shower? Shampoo your hair? To be alone? Or do you want to prove to your fellow players, the fans out there, and me, what you can do."

"If you are expecting Özil to be super aggressive and running miles and miles side to side and to show great enthusiasm and aggressivity - this is not Mesut ."
Comments from the same Mourinho he became the best no10 in the world under?

Sorry but you’re making it sound like the guys at City are absolute workhorses, they follow Pep’s instructions but he’s not asking them to run 20km a game at full intensity. Check the Man City thread, the city attackers job is to immediately press after losing the ball and foul if necessary. Any football player has the fitness to do that.

Also you can’t just say he wouldn’t work under Pep, it’s all theoretical.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Comments from the same Mourinho he became the best no10 in the world under?

Sorry but you’re making it sound like the guys at City are absolute workhorses, they follow Pep’s instructions but he’s not asking them to run 20km a game at full intensity. Check the Man City thread, the city attackers job is to immediately press after losing the ball and foul if necessary. Any football player has the fitness to do that.
I know what City do. Its the same thing Barcelona do and it erks the **** out of me. Deliberate fouls and no cards. Ridiculous.

Pep benched Aguero and got rid of a multi league winner in Joe Hart because they didn't do what he expects his players to do. Aguero eventually came around. There is a reason why when our two superstars were "available" Pep was interested in one and not the other. Özil hasn't shown in his career he is capable of playing that way. A manager who is one of the most organised in world football a manager who loves him as a number ten said it this is not Mesut.

Mourinho said stop going in at 50% slagged of his tackling. 7 or so years later we are saying exactly the same thing. Why that would suddenly change under Pep when it didn't under Mourinho ,Wenger or Lowe is an absurd suggestion. We have a career worth of evidence saying this is it you take the perfection with the imperfection.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think Özil is a problem to be honest. He is the only player we have who creates chances. In order for him to be effective we need to surround him with the right blend defensively and offensively. He needs players that can tackle and cover ground. He needs runners, but he also needs a dribbler in the team.

We don't have anyone in the team that can attract two men to them apart from Özil. Atletico put one man on Welbeck, and crowded out Özil with two or three. The could afford to do that as Welbeck can't dribble and Lacazette doesn't have the pace to run in behind. We don't help ourselves to be honest.

OSBK

Established Member
He was 1000% right about Özil. Jenas is a loser who probably looked confused hearing what a winning mentality sounded like.

If thats the case then why is keown not a manager or in arsenal sorting this dribble out. Keown jumps on Özil becuase all he sees is bergkamp, he is stuck in the mindset that arsenal should have a bergkamp but the reality is those players play for bigger clubs. He is another tony adams, he couldnt hack management. His rant if you watch the whole thing he mentions at the start he is glad to see wenger go, after the Özil rant he says he is sad to see wenger go and wants him to go upstairs. The guy is worst that paul merson for some of the tripe that comes out of his mouth. Football has moved on and clown pundits like shearer/souness/keown have not, the best pundit is maybe neville and the reason is he is current and doesnt refer back 15 years every time he on the telly.

What has puzzled me is that we all know ath madrid are a strong team, could be top 5 in europe maybe. They have a world class defence, look at their home record this season its ridiculous. Özil created in the game and he worked hard but we were beaten by a world class defence and keeper and we have to accept it. Everyone is jumping around like ath madrid are some pub team that Özil should be tearing apart by himself, have these people seen the state of this team and seen where we are in the league this season.

Fallout

Sorry, but to me Özil has had his time of overhype. He has not earned that respect since he has been here. He is 30 years old and people are still talking about him like they are talking about a promising 24 year old prodigy, ““Give him this and that. Cut the grass to this length. Give him 7 mini breaks per season. Keep telling him how much we all love and adore him. Tell the fans to keep singing his name. Tell the media to only throw praises towards him. Give him the No10 shirt, that should help. Sign Ronaldo, Messi, Figo, Zidane, Henry and play Özil behind them (assists galore..) etc.”” Lol.. Can’t be having this same old stuff next season with a new manger.
I say, let the new manager get in and get us back to playing that energetic / buzzing style of football. The Özil style is so lukewarm and lethargic. Let’s start afresh and make each and every player fight for his place next season. This favouritism has got us nowhere but outside the top 4 for 2 straight seasons.
Make each and every player play for their Arsenal future during pre-season and next season..
Lets go back to being a serious manly club. We have become a club of cuties. I can’t stand it..
you misunderstood the spirit of my post. i'm not an Özil apologist. i'm saying he's a limited player who will only perform in a certain role. unfortunately we let his contract run down and gave him an insane wage. the practical reality is we need to either get the best out of him or just sell him. i honestly dont see a middle ground being beneficial for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom