• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Santi Cazorla: My Friend, Is Adios, No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
It's a myth that cazorla wasn't suited to the role alongside a DM. Not only was he not afraid to get stuck in but the majority of his defending was done in his head as he was one step ahead of alot of his opponents. His speed of thought allowed him to nip in and pinch/take control of the ball before it became a problem.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I'm not going to enter any discussions about how good Santi was - but it does seem to me our 2016/7 never recovered from his loss

King Eboue

It's a kinda gutting to have paid him for 2 years while he was in the midst of a serious injury and had all the help of the medical staff for him to leave the club as soon as he's fit again.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Goodbye Santi! I absolutely adore you, as a footballer and a person. Always with that big smile on your face, great character for the team. Hope you can get healthy and play, still have enough talent to show the world but it shouldn’t be with us. This is not charity FC anymore. We hope anyway.

SteelArsenal

Anyone else notice the capitulation of the second half of 15/16 when the title was between us and Leicester, followed by the collapse of 16/17, and non starter of 17/18, has all coincided with Santi being injured.

I'm not saying that it's the only reason but it is a pattern.

razörist

Good if he is of the books

Nice fella, great technique .

But severly overrated on these boards, people who rated him So highly have a naive and romanticized view of the game

He would never have started for any top team, not as cm atleast

This is a time to be ruthless

Should never have been given an extension
Stick to hockey mate.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Anyone else notice the capitulation of the second half of 15/16 when the title was between us and Leicester, followed by the collapse of 16/17, and non starter of 17/18, has all coincided with Santi being injured.

I'm not saying that it's the only reason but it is a pattern.

Yeah, the winter months of that 15/16 season. Our main players were dropping like flies if I remember correctly. Cazorla has been a big, big miss.

What will go down as his last game, can anyone remember?

SteelArsenal

IslingtonBornandbred

It's a kinda gutting to have paid him for 2 years while he was in the midst of a serious injury and had all the help of the medical staff for him to leave the club as soon as he's fit again.

Club had the responsibility to get him fit again full stop. He hasn't played for 18 months if not longer he's entitled to move on and get a fresh start in a slower league back home. He would never be able to return to the intensity of the EPL with his injury imo.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
According to Soccerbase, it was the 6-0 win against Ludogorets in October 2016. We were winning most games up until then.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=39658&season_id=149
I remember I was furious for his having been played in that game in the first place though the injury would have still happened sooner or later.

I can't see him playing consistently at a high level anymore, the money spent is gone but it couldn't have been avoided. Hope he does well whatever and wherever.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I really wish Santi was fully fit. Such a mentally sharp and agile player. Him fully fit and providing an outlet for Xhaka with Özil to create and Ramsey to make runs would potentially have added so much more to our MF and attack in the coming season. Tge signing of a ball winning MF just moves us forward even faster with him. I thought Wilshere might be able to pkay Santi lite but no. We can't take the risk given the last two years so good luck to him at Villareal. Twelve years ago Pires went there so I'll have an eye on them again. Gracias Santi.

IslingtonBornandbred

Yeah, the winter months of that 15/16 season. Our main players were dropping like flies if I remember correctly. Cazorla has been a big, big miss.

What will go down as his last game, can anyone remember?

If you look at the away record as well, missing a player like him who can beat the press and get a grip of the game has been missing.

Last game was Ludogrets. A dead rubber game with Xhaka suspended in the league and Cazorla playing regularly. He needed a rest but played and that was the last time we saw him I believe.

HappyChap

Good if he is of the books

Nice fella, great technique .

But severly overrated on these boards, people who rated him So highly have a naive and romanticized view of the game

He would never have started for any top team, not as cm atleast

This is a time to be ruthless

Should never have been given an extension
Well, I hope you've enjoyed last 2 years without Santi and getting outplayed by bottom half teams.
Arsenal is already ruthless, it killed every technical aspect of our football to accommodate players like Ramsey, Xhaka and Elneny. From Fabregas, Rosicky and Hleb midfield we went to this current lot that can't make 3 forward passes in a row and fails under pressure of bottom half teams.

It will take years to repair our midfield ,get rid of all these limited players and at the same time we have similar problems in defence.

Santi at his peak was unplayable, same quality as Silva and Modric but more fun to watch due to his dribbling skills. I just don't understand why he spent so much time on wings throughout his career when it was clear his best position was always behind striker and more central.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Glad to see we aren't making decisions based on emotion. He is old and off the back of a career ending injury.

Great player but right call to let him leave.

razörist

I remember I was furious for his having been played in that game in the first place though the injury would have still happened sooner or later.

I can't see him playing consistently at a high level anymore, the money spent is gone but it couldn't have been avoided. Hope he does well whatever and wherever.
One of the reasons why its good that Arsène left. Xhaka was suspended in the league, Cazorla known to have injury issues. Made absolutely no sense to play Santi. Damn still angry when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom