• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Indian Football

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
hi...lots of indians and south asians here ...and we are seeing football have some sort of revival in these parts. Lets discuss what its like for indian fans of football.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Indian football will never prosper until the corrupt politicians there stop eating up the funds FIFA gives to the country to promote soccer.

Also, it doesn’t help that a billion people are obsessed with one sport and one sport only. Sadly, that one sport happens to be slow paced and tedious (the complete opposite of soccer)

GDeep™

League is very weak
Indian football will never prosper until the corrupt politicians there stop eating up the funds FIFA gives to the country to promote soccer.

Also, it doesn’t help that a billion people are obsessed with one sport and one sport only. Sadly, that one sport happens to be slow paced and tedious (the complete opposite of soccer)
They’re big into T20 which is fast paced and exciting.

Brown Gooner

They’re big into T20 which is fast paced and exciting.
Still takes 3.5 hours doesn’t it?

My point still stands. The obsession of a billion people to just one sport alone means that soccer will have a very very difficult time finding a large/good enough talent pool.

And yes then there is the omnipresent issue of Corruption and the FIFA funds never reaching where they should be going (to promote footy in India)

Brown Gooner

India had a distance runner who won gold at the Olympics in 70’s or something. I watch Tennis and they’ve had top doubles players over the years, produce top hockey players etc.

Cricketers are athletes.
I don’t think any Indian has ever won an individual gold medal at the Olympics in an athletic sport.

Yes cricketers are athletes in the strict meaning of the word but compared to Cristiano, Phelps and Lebron, the likes of Tendulkar, Inzamam, Sehwag, Ponting could hardly be considered “athletes.”

Brown Gooner

Vikash Dhorasoo was of Indian descent, Luciano Narsingh has Indian roots.
I think the questions was Indians/Pakistanis born there and raised there as South Asians.

If we are rationalizing to “roots” and “bloodline” then IMO that’s just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Yeah sorry, ment straight outta' Kolkata.

Not a knock on the countries by the way, just wondering if they produce top level athletes, I dont particularly want to go into genetics etc but they seem light on sports which require pure athletic attributes.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Has there ever been a world class Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi athlete?

(Not cricket, not entirely sure if they count as athletes)

Of the top of my head Sri lanka has produced a top class sprinter who has actually won a 200m silver medal at the olympics incredibly hard to do considering the competition . Amir khan was arguably World Class . Vikash Dhorasoo used to play for Ac Milan back when they used to win things .

Real fast bowler are athletes no doubt , Pakistan and the West Indies tend to produce the best .

Latest posts+

Top Bottom