• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
He has his flaws but I still see him as one of our best players. Emery is experienced anough to get the best out of him, I still think he needs to play further forward, he makes runs into the box that others dont, thats why he scores goals.

-------------Auba
Ramsey----Özil----Mhki

I know this leaves Laca, Iwobi, Welbeck out but I think its his best position.

HappyChap

A proper structure should be able to accommodate the space he leaves behind him when doing so.
Translated, that would mean Özil does not fit in that structure but at the same time he just signed a huge new contract.
It looks to me that there was/is no real plan how to organize this team.
It all started with Özil transfer where we needed to shift Cazorla (who was at the time one of the best players in the league) out wide to accommodate Özil and result of that was huge drop in form of Cazorla. Luckily for us (and I'm sure that was only luck and not plan), Cazorla was moved again deeper in midfield and it worked out for everyone. Today we have similar problem, but this time, it is much harder to keep Ramsey in his position with Özil on the pitch. Both of them fail to play under pressure and leave us exposed on counter attacks.
The only way this could maybe work is to stop playing Mkhitaryan wide and move him to his preferred central position to support Ramsey and Xhaka, and organize our game. He is currently the only person in this team that can keep the ball under pressure and does his defensive duties .
Downside of this is, Özil would be on the right wing and I would have to listen one more year of excuses that he plays like s**t just because he is not in his number 10 position.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
It all started with Özil transfer where we needed to shift Cazorla (who was at the time one of the best players in the league) out wide to accommodate Özil and result of that was huge drop in form of Cazorla.

Rosicky and Wilshere shifted Santi wide because he was crap at no. 10. Even scored more and made more assists on the wing.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Özil with Ramsey and another behind is the only way I see it working. No way you put him on the wing even in Emerys system

HappyChap

Rosicky and Wilshere shifted Santi wide because he was crap at no. 10. Even scored more and made more assists on the wing.
This is not Santi's thread but I will leave comment anyway. First of all, saying he was cr*p in number 10 role is cr*p. He was the only reason we were in top 4 and he was brilliant in that role. The first time that people started to say Cazorla is not good enough was when he was playing on the left wing to accommodate princes in his preferred number 10 role. Cazorla was unplayable as advanced playmaker, even though his stats were a bit better out wide, he couldn't control games like he did when deployed central. I still remember people saying he wasn't good enough for CM position also, but to really understand his importance to the team, you need to lose him and experience free fall in terms of quality of our game and table position. He was the guy who would have fun vs City, Liverpool or Chelsea team, something that Ramsey or Özil can only dream about. And to say he lost position to Wilshere is just brutal

blaze_of_glory

I just don't see why we should drop one of our top players in PEA, Laca, Mkhi and Özil to accomdate Ramsey into the team?
Ramsey plays CM. If Emery is really going to make him a foundational player, I doubt he'll move him from his preferred position. We've already seen that PEA can score for fun from a wide forward position, so if both Laca and him play at once I think he'll be out wide. Mikhi on the other side and then Özil ahead of Ramsey.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
And to say he lost position to Wilshere is brutal

The brutal truth, yes.

He was the only reason we were in top 4 and he was brilliant in that role

Now this is cr*p - especially when he only lasted in the role for half a season.

Cazorla was unplayable as advanced playmaker

:lol: no he wasn't. I remember games like Norwich away that season, he couldn't handle ****.

He got found quickly in that role as he basically only wanted the ball at his feet. Couldn't handle the physicality.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Today if I would line up a 4312

I would have

Mkith Xhaka Ramsey
I so wanted jack to be the third guy but alas he is done imo sadfaceemoji

Xhaka will do better with two guys next to him, more options for him to pass earlier,
Mkith is good in tagit spaces
Good stamina and just like we converted santi and Arteta...

Ramsey can still do his runs he is more covered now but still contributes defensivly because he is a decent ballwinner

R and M can drift wide

Laca and Auba to

We got kola and Bellerin who likes pushing up
It's a good idea but it requires discipline and commitment. Xhaka can't be isolated as he has been so many times. If we get Seri or Torreira, they will play in the middle 3 so Xhaka may be sacrificed. Miki's skill set makes him the least likely to be dropped. Ramsey us going to have to play in a really disciplined manner with a long term consistency not yet seen. Unless Emery moves him higher up the pitch..

TheArsenalis

I just don't see why we should drop one of our top players in PEA, Laca, Mkhi and Özil to accomdate Ramsey into the team?
The coach decides who the top player. Ima go out on a limb and say ramsey will be the least likely player to be dropped. In the current squad.

HappyChap

He got found quickly in that role as he basically only wanted the ball at his feet. Couldn't handle the physicality.
Going through debate with people who don't understand things and probably lack the capacity for understanding is pointless, but f*ck it, I'll give my best to make it as simple as possible for you .
1.) The guy was a playmaker, and playmaker wants ball at his feet. That one wasn't that hard I hope.
2.) Don't judge players on one or two away games, overall he was exceptional in that position (and others as well). Some of his best games were against top teams, unlike others at this club. He was able to dominate midfield against City and Chelsea so I'm sure Norwich game was just an exception.
3.) Yes, he couldn't handle physicality, that's why he used dribbling and technical skills to avoid contact. His ball protection was perfect, even when surrounded by 2-3 players. Just because he is small doesn't mean he can't handle big boys. Players like Santi, David Silva and Modric had no problems playing their game in PL. There is a ton of compilations where he made those big guys look like complete idiots.
4.) Wilshere was never in his career close to the level of Santi, when he was in a good form, he got injured and that happened every season. Tough luck and wasted talent, but that's the truth. Santi playing wide was a dumb mistake by Wenger and that didn't last for long, and his idea that he would be good wide just as he was central was maybe the reason why he brought Özil to the club. Santi did play wide sometimes in Villareal, but as he grew older that wasn't his ideal position anymore.

I'm sure you should be able to find videos of him from his first season, you should check them and maybe you will have better understanding of what we were missing for the last two seasons.
You say "He got found quickly in that role", but I would say we found out the hard way how reliant we were on him before.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Going through debate with people who don't understand things and probably lack the capacity for understanding is pointless, but f*ck it, I'll give my best to make it as simple as possible for you .
1.) The guy was a playmaker, and playmaker wants ball at his feet. That one wasn't that hard I hope.
2.) Don't judge players on one or two away games, overall he was exceptional in that position (and others as well). Some of his best games were against top teams, unlike others at this club. He was able to dominate midfield against City and Chelsea so I'm sure Norwich game was just an exception.
3.) Yes, he couldn't handle physicality, that's why he used dribbling and technical skills to avoid contact. His ball protection was perfect, even when surrounded by 2-3 players. Just because he is small doesn't mean he can't handle big boys. Players like Santi, David Silva and Modric had no problems playing their game in PL. There is a ton of compilations where he made those big guys look like complete idiots.
4.) Wilshere was never in his career close to the level of Santi, when he was in a good form, he got injured and that happened every season. Tough luck and wasted talent, but that's the truth. Santi playing wide was a dumb mistake by Wenger and that didn't last for long, and his idea that he would be good wide just as he was central was maybe the reason why he brought Özil to the club. Santi did play wide sometimes in Villareal, but as he grew older that wasn't his ideal position anymore.

I'm sure you should be able to find videos of him from his first season, you should check them and maybe you will have better understanding of what we were missing for the last two seasons.
You say "He got found quickly in that role", but I would say we found out the hard way how reliant we were on him before.

The Cazorla thread is just next door, have a little knock and they'll let you in.

Wilshere1010

Ramsey is very good at something a bit unique. If Emery intends to build around him, then I'm very excited to see the lengths at which he can utilize the weapon of his late runs. A proper structure should be able to accommodate the space he leaves behind him when doing so.
It would need to be in a 433 really. The last great player who excelled at making late runs was Lampard, and he was at his best with Makelele and Essien/Tiago in midfield with him.

If we go that route it would force Özil and Mkhi both wide, which could work if the full backs provide width. But again it would all feel like square pegs in round holes. Feel like something, or someone, has to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom