• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If it's up to you are you putting another experienced Sokratis-type CB in or a young prospect? I reckon that team could achieve something sooner than people think, so I'd go for an experienced ready-to-perform CB.

Still not sure about Leno, is he really any better than Butland? He's about 10m more expensive, but for some reason I'd find Butland in goal more reassuring than Leno.

Mate Butland is so poor, he’s got a howler or two in him every game.

If we were looking at an English keeper it should be Pope. He’s good technically, puts the ball round the post when he dives and is really solid in the air.

He should be starting for England but he doesn’t make the flashy camera saves Butland and Pickford do.

Also one of Pope and Heaton is surely going to be attainable this summer.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Mate Butland is so poor, he’s got a howler or two in him every game.

If we were looking at an English keeper it should be Pope. He’s good technically, puts the ball round the post when he dives and is really solid in the air.

He should be starting for England but he doesn’t make the flashy camera saves Butland and Pickford do.

Also one of Pope and Heaton is surely going to be attainable this summer.

I don't think Butland is that poor, many ex-goalies have said good things about him and his underlying stats are good. I think he's just had a difficult season or two. He's also young still. I'd be fine with Pope too fwiw.

My point is that unless the goalie coming in from Europe is markedly better i.e Oblak, Alisson etc, I don't see the point in buying someone from there when you can get someone of roughly similar quality from the PL. Butland or Pope would acclimatise much quicker.

Leno strikes me as a goalie who'll look spectacular one minute and be made a fool of the next. I'd just like a solid, reliable goalie for the next 5-10 years. I don't care about having the next avant-garde, 85% pass completion goalie.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don't think Butland is that poor, many ex-goalies have said good things about him and his underlying stats are good. I think he's just had a difficult season or two. He's also young still. I'd be fine with Pope too fwiw.

My point is that unless the goalie coming in from Europe is markedly better i.e Oblak, Alisson etc, I don't see the point in buying someone from there when you can get someone of roughly similar quality from the PL. Butland or Pope would acclimatise much quicker.

Leno strikes me as a goalie who'll look spectacular one minute and be made a fool of the next. I'd just like a solid, reliable goalie for the next 5-10 years. I don't care about having the next avant-garde, 85% pass completion goalie.

I just feel with Butland he’s going to be very similar to Joe Hart, top notch shot stopper but can cost you in close games with apalling errors.

I’ve not seen anything of Leno at all, but some of the posters on here don’t rate him that much either. We need someone solid at this point I agree, make good saves and hold onto the ball. Don’t want some flash show pony who’ll spill crosses or let them in near post.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I can’t see a lineup where Ramsey, Mkhitaryan and Özil all fit together, assuming we get a defensive midfielder. Xhaka is definitely a starter, whether people like it or not.
Agreed wheres the new kid going to play?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Why do people think Xhaka is a key player to us? I'd honestly love to know, someone please explain, in detail? @Xanth can start with you..

Xanth

I don’t necessarily think he’s a key player. I just don’t see him being relegated to a substitute or being sold next season.

BobP

Memri Fan
Why do people think Xhaka is a key player to us? I'd honestly love to know, someone please explain, in detail? @Xanth can start with you..

Who starts in his place?

Elneny?

Love posters who want to wish Xhaka away.

He's here to stay, get used to it.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Who starts in his place?

Elneny?

Love posters who want to wish Xhaka away.

He's here to stay, get used to it.

Well Ramsey, Torreira can be in our midfield, I just want to know what Xhaka offers that means he should keep his place in the squad?

BobP

Memri Fan
Well Ramsey, Torreira can be in our midfield, I just want to know what Xhaka offers that means he should keep his place in the squad?

Wenger spent the last years of his time here trying to shoehorn Ramsey into central midfield, to disappointing effect.

A central midfielder, Ramsey is not

Xhaka is a strategic point with an unparalleled passing range. He has his uses.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Wenger spent the last years of his time here trying to shoehorn Ramsey into central midfield, to disappointing effect.

His composure when under pressure is quite poor though and thats one of the most important factors being a DLP. A case could be made that he gets no support in midfield as Ramsey bombs forward and he has to sideways pass. I'll give him one more season under a hopefully tactical astute manager before I cast my judgement.

I think he's had a poor season. Someone seriously make a video to show how many times he has given the ball away in dangerous positions in our half. Because I think some people have forgotten. He improved second half of the season but he was just average nothing special at all

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Fake news.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its a lot to ask a 22 year old to change league, go from a midfield three to a two & partner not the most rounded players in Xhaka or Ramsey. Midfield three seems the way to go.

Torreira if we get him plays. Ramsey is by all reports a key player under Emery. Third position up for grabs & can be rotated for opposition.

The Fellaini talks make more sense if its with Ramsey & Torreira... Quite a rounded midfield.

BobP

Memri Fan
His composure when under pressure is quite poor though and thats one of the most important factors being a DLP. A case could be made that he gets no support in midfield as Ramsey bombs forward and he has to sideways pass. I'll give him one more season under a hopefully tactical astute manager before I cast my judgement.

I think he's had a poor season. Someone seriously make a video to show how many times he has given the ball away in dangerous positions in our half. Because I think some people have forgotten. He improved second half of the season but he was just average nothing special at all

He was the only guy holding our midfield together. The only constant presence.

Did he disappoint at times? Sure he did. Then again who didn't? We finished 6th with our lowest points tally in recent years, the entire team under-performed.

I'd rehash some of my views regarding Xhaka but I've said enough in his thread.

Xanth

A Xhaka-Torreira-Ramsey midfield sounds fine but then you have the issue of fitting three of two strikers and two attacking midfielders in the front three. It'll be interesting to see what Emery goes with.

He was the only guy holding our midfield together. The only constant presence.

Did he disappoint at times? Sure he did. Then again who didn't? We finished 6th with our lowest points tally in recent years, the entire team under-performed.

I'd rehash some of my views regarding Xhaka but I've said enough in his thread.

I remember one game, can't specifically recall against whom, where Xhaka wasn't playing and consequently, we were struggling to build attacking moves from deep and had to rely on long passes that were more often than not being intercepted.

BobP

Memri Fan
A Xhaka-Torreira-Ramsey midfield sounds fine but then you have the issue of fitting three of two strikers and two attacking midfielders in the front three. It'll be interesting to see what Emery goes with.

I remember one game, can't specifically recall against whom, where Xhaka wasn't playing and consequently, we were struggling to create attacking moves from the deep and had to rely on long passes that were more often than not being intercepted.

You're right. I can't remember the exact game but if I'm not mistaken it was towards the end of the season.

On the first point you make:

I think we should discard the notion of a fixed starting 11 with a specific formation set in stone. I expect Emery to rotate and change formation based on the specific opposition we are facing.

For example, if we're away at Old Trafford we could go for something like this:

Xhaka-Torreira
Mhki-Ramsey-Özil
Auba

By contrast, if we're facing say Huddersfield at home, we could go for something like this:

Xhaka/Torreira-Ramsey
Mhki-Laca-Özil
Auba

The lineups are purely hypothetical of course, as we have no idea who Emery will play and where but the overarching point, as stated above, remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom