• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
A little intrigued how Emre Can to Juve has gone from done to 'hopeful' & 'quite optimistic'. Wonder if Sven is making a late run. Juve should have had it signed by June blocking out the English clubs.

Can - Torreira - Ramsey ... Could work!

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Thought this might be interesting for people discussing our limited budget all the time. Apparently Barca's reported budget this summer is 80 mil euros. Puts our supposed 50-70mil budget in perspective, it's probably not so bad or as limited as we assume.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Thought this might be interesting for people discussing our limited budget all the time. Apparently Barca's reported budget this summer is 80 mil euros. Puts our supposed 50-70mil budget in perspective, it's probably not so bad or as limited as we assume.

Problem is that it's Barca.
Two advantages:
Firstly, basically any of these kids cannot withstand their pull and they can milk clubs by brainwashing those players.
Secondly, similarly to Madrid, they can sell every player for a nice fee. 60m for their second GK is just an example - not saying someone definetely pays that but I dont think it'll and up being to much less.

They sell 2-3 outcasts and it's close to 200m - that's the difference

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Two advantages:
Firstly, basically any of these kids cannot withstand their pull and they can milk clubs by brainwashing those players.
Secondly, similarly to Madrid, they can sell every player for a nice fee. 60m for their second GK is just an example - not saying someone definetely pays that but I dont think it'll and up being to much less.

Tbh Barca don't seem to be able to sell as well as other top teams, at least that's my impression of them. Excluding PSG going ham with Neymar.

Anyway while you are obviously right about Barca having a big advantage, the point still stands that our budgets are similar despite their massive commercial deals compared to us. So it'll just have to come down to selling the players we don't want for a good price. All our league rivals really excel at this, but it's something that until last window we had failed miserably at.

Overall even with our budget I'm hopeful that we'll go after one marquee signing this summer too.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Still think despite all the wrong goings of the last year, there was indeed a high chance for him to end up here.
Would've been a great last gift from Wenger to say the least..

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I like Luiz.

Don't even think it's such a bad bid - he is not favored at Chelsea anymore and has 31 years of age. Fair deal.
After the Giroud deal they could at least have some sportsmanship.

benjamin86

Established Member
Two advantages:

£60m for Cillessen?
That would be crazy i was thinking they'll do well to get £30m.

If you look outside of Barca's first 14 they're all £15 to 30m max.

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Still think despite all the wrong goings of the last year, there was indeed a high chance for him to end up here.
Would've been a great last gift from Wenger to say the least..
Wenger is Basically the most famous sport person in France i'm not surprised many french players want to play under him

Last edited:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Still got this slight feeling that once the WC is done we will drop a big number on a marquee signing..

Thinking the same. We did early, shrewd business to fill in the much needed gaps, but I feel like there's something to come.

I'm certain we're in for another CB, thinking it's someone like Pavard or Soyuncu. But Pavard has said he won't decide until after the WC. It will also hinge on looming Bayern interest, depending on whether Jerome Boateng will truly leave or not and if his WC performance will spark a bidding war.

Also believe the club is looking at attackers/wingers, but more of the Adli/Dembele at Rennes category, not the Guedes, Barca-Dembele, Martins aisle.

We haven't got any confirmed outgoings as of now, bar Cazorla and Mertesacker. Once Wilshere's gone his wages will be freed up. Fully expect Ospina, Martinez, Perez, Jenkinson and two of Holding/Chambers/Mustafi out, having a gut feeling right now it might be the two english boys.

I love the guy but it seems more and more obvious Wenga was living in the stone age in regards to transfer activities.

Have to agree. I think it was down to him being too loyal to what he's had at the club, too tight and oddly specific with money ("I'll give you 17m for the player" - "We want 18.5m." - Oh no, he's not worth that much!") and an abominable negotiation team seemingly absolutely unfit for modern football business. "Martial is not for sale." "OK, bye."

Bring in the Sahin links next.

:lol:

The guy's finished, wrote a lenghty post in another thread. Think either the WC thread or german football thread. Had a great career squeezed into 5 years and it's done him physically and mentally. There's even a documentary around now, "Being Mario Götze", like he's just ended his career :lol:
It's about how his career went to shreds after 2014 and his early success ****ed him. He won't ever be able to bounce back - lacks the hunger and desire to fight on, topped of with a serious illness. Role player at Dortmund and early career end incoming, will retreat into private life and become a talk show traveller, talking about his odd, specific career. I mean, it won't tarnish his reputation at all, he's still in football history books as the scorer of a WC winning goal, so, that's lifelong fame, interest and PR gigs every now and then secured.

Gotze is the Ramsey upgrade we need despite his injury problems the past couple of seasons.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
Awwwww poor Mario :p

I can't see him giving up his cushy number at Dortmund sadly. Should never have come back, stupid re-signing. The only coach who's ever got the best out of Mario is Jürgen Klopp. So unless he wants to take the risk, I can't see it being a good idea for anyone else. Yes, we are stuck with him.

But sadly, his health problem's can not be overlooked. He will never be the same again however well they say they can control his metabolic disorder. He always looks done after 10 minutes on the field.

benjamin86

Established Member
Thinking the same. We did early, shrewd business to fill in the much needed gaps, but I feel like there's something to come.

I'm certain we're in for another CB, thinking it's someone like Pavard or Soyuncu. But Pavard has said he won't decide until after the WC. It will also hinge on looming Bayern interest, depending on whether Jerome Boateng will truly leave or not and if his WC performance will spark a bidding war.

Also believe the club is looking at attackers/wingers, but more of the Adli/Dembele at Rennes category, not the Guedes, Barca-Dembele, Martins aisle.

We haven't got any confirmed outgoings as of now, bar Cazorla and Mertesacker. Once Wilshere's gone his wages will be freed up. Fully expect Ospina, Martinez, Perez, Jenkinson and two of Holding/Chambers/Mustafi out, having a gut feeling right now it might be the two english boys.

Have to agree. I think it was down to him being too loyal to what he's had at the club, too tight and oddly specific with money ("I'll give you 17m for the player" - "We want 18.5m." - Oh no, he's not worth that much!") and an abominable negotiation team seemingly absolutely unfit for modern football business. "Martial is not for sale." "OK, bye."

:lol:

The guy's finished, wrote a lenghty post in another thread. Think either the WC thread or german football thread. Had a great career squeezed into 5 years and it's done him physically and mentally. There's even a documentary around now, "Being Mario Götze", like he's just ended his career :lol:
It's about how his career went to shreds after 2014 and his early success ****ed him. He won't ever be able to bounce back - lacks the hunger and desire to fight on, topped of with a serious illness. Role player at Dortmund and early career end incoming, will retreat into private life and become a talk show traveller, talking about his odd, specific career. I mean, it won't tarnish his reputation at all, he's still in football history books as the scorer of a WC winning goal, so, that's lifelong fame, interest and PR gigs every now and then secured.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
We're patching the obvious holes in the squad i think after Leno, Torreira are done it might be quiet until end of July, when it's more likely to be 1 in 1 out once Emre has had a chance to train the squad.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Maybe the change of scenery will ignite a spark in him.
I have championed him for a long time, though I would have preffered Alisson, he is unattainable to us and Leno is of a similar bracket.

Leno only stagnated because of injury, after that he was never the same and the ravings about him had died down quite a bit. Like @Toby Andrl mentioned, he was in contention to be the next in line to be the future of Germany's GKs. Obviously Ter Stegen has eclipsed him and the injury to Neuer only served to boost up Ter Stegens rep.

Honestly a very welcomed signing. He won't do any worse than Cech and his upside is a lot greater. We have our GK sorted for a number of years. Even with his mistakes, he is not a liability.

Hopefully Mustafi will be off soon to ensure that we can get a competent back 5 for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom