• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannis

Happy it happened, but I won't lie there is some sadness for what could have been. That boat sailed a long time ago and this is the best for all parties involved. I'm also glad Emery was honest about this. Would have been easy for him to make false promises to Jack in order to please the fans, that would have just caused a storm later on.

Lastly all the best to Jack, I have been ****ting on him a lot recently, and standby a lot of it, but I do get it will be emotional leaving something you have known for 17 years.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Serie A always sounded like a great option to me. The set-ups in Italy always seem to do a fantastic job at extending careers. I've read plenty of stories of medical teams in Italy finding fixes for problems players had elsewhere.

A slower more tactical game, I think he could do great things in Italy.
So many people still believe Serie A is slow but whilst it's more technical and tactical,it isn't a plodders league by any means. Wherever Wilshere ends up, he will need to seriously increase his agility yo have any sustained impact.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I don't think we know that the contract offer when Wenger was here had any more guarantee of a key role than it did once Emery arrived.

Remember Wenger didn't guarantee Jack anything and that's partly why he went on loan a couple seasons ago.

I doubt Wenger would give anyone guarantees but he's more likely to tell him "you're an important player for the team and an important part of the squad" whereas Emery would put a less romantic angle on it. I think Jack was waiting for an improved offer, it didn't arrive and Wenger left so he waited it out until now. The improved offer didn't come and the new manager didn't want him so he's decided to go. The idea that he would've stayed and played for less money is a nice one but in reality that's only the case because his game of poker didn't work out and there was no improved offer.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
No doubt the best thing for the club and for Jack. Terrible fit for the system Emery will play. Would have been sitting the bench and eating up wages that can go to someone who can be more valuable to the team. Jack is good on the ball and a good passer, but other areas of his game are not up to Arsenal standard (at least if they have top 4 ambitions). He's better off at a mid-table club (I'm hoping for Crystal Palace, where he could reunite with Hodgson). He can play regularly, be a more integral part of the team and maybe work his way back into the England mix.

I'm not totally without sentiment, but the fact is that he's still going to be making millions playing a child's game. I won't feel too sorry for him when there are people struggling to get by or living in poverty in this world. Best of luck to him. Hopefully he'll get his career back on track, even if he obviously will never quite reach the heights of promise we once saw in him.

Dj_sds -

Sad to see him leave, especially since he got excluded from the world cup as well as being told he is no longer needed at arsenal. Its a big mental blow and i hope he picks himself up and starts the season fresh.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Was always obvious he was going to be binned. Best for all parties. Goodluck to him, wonder where he’ll go next. Don’t think there’ll be a lot of interest tbh

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Was always obvious he was going to be binned. Best for all parties. Goodluck to him, wonder where he’ll go next. Don’t think there’ll be a lot of interest tbh

That's the thing - if he's looking for a guaranteed starting spot in a team then the options are pretty poor. If Sam Allardyce was still at Everton then he would have been a banker to turn up there.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
JACKY I NEED YOU IN MY LIIFEEE, IN MY LIFEE
PLEASE JACKY DON'T GO SWITCHING SIIIDDESS, SWITCHING SIDES,
I SWEAR THIS IS WHERE YOU RESIIIIDEE, YOU RESIDE,
PLEASE JACKY DON'T GO SWITCHING SIIIDEESS, SWITCHING SIDES.

I've been on an emotional rollercoaster lately. Up, down, up, now super down.

This will take some getting over.

RIP XXXtentacion. Goodbye Jack.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Gotta feel for Jack. Remember how promising his career looked when he was 18? Who would have thought it would turn out this way. All the best Jack.

In a way, I kind of like the message it sends to the squad though. Comfort and complacency have been our biggest squad issues since the invincibles. Emery sending a message that no one gets the benefit of the doubt.

CanadianGooner1608

I'll just start by saying that the decision is understandable both for Jack and the club. And I'm a bit sadder than I should be about it.
The former needs to play regularly, regain his status and be in contention again for the next Euros/World Cup.
The latter is in the middle of a remodeling that will not fit him and/or guarantee him the play time he needs.

That being said, my focus is on Arsenal and I think it will be a good thing for us. He hasn't been as good as I wished he had, and I blame him for it less than I blame his injuries. Him going is going to free up wages for our new signings.
It's a new chapter for us and for him.

I just wish it wasn't that bittersweet.

he won’t be missed in reality. It’s sad it’s ended but when u apparently love a club and take an age to sign plus can’t stay fit it was coming. We can easily replace him and tbh it’s his own greed that’s cost him here apparently offered him a decent deal with incentives and he wants more game time u can’t guarantee more play time when he can’t guarantee he will stay fit

FEH

This is sad. Even those of you who'd completely given up on him, you've got to cast your minds back to all those years ago. Remember when we first saw him in the academy? Remember when he broke through? I'm not saying it's not the right decision, but this isn't just another player leaving. It's Wilshere. You may be jaded by years of disappointment and false dawns, but he was our great hope. He really was one of our own.

Must be a tough time for him right now, missing out on the England squad and now leaving his boyhood club. I just hope he can go on and have a good career now.

I love Wilshere. Would love to have had him as captain, bleeding Arsenal. But I knew when he was at Bournemouth he didnt have the game anymore. Simply not good enough and kept churning out the average performances and I have wanted him upgraded for 2 years. This IS the right move and Emery and team should be applauded for decisions that could polarise them to some sections of the support. But decisions that will prove to be for the betterment of us on the pitch.

Unfortunately I dont see him doing great at any club he goes to at this stage but I'm sure most of us here hope he does and gets to put on the England jersey again at some point.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Bottler. Didn't want to stay around and fight for his place or show he is capable of earning a place. Disappointing. But better of having him gone if he didn't feel he could force himself into Emerys plans.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I'm going to miss him. This was probably his best season for us after his breakthrough one.

Still, best of luck to him and hope he doesn't end up at our rivals because he loved the club.

Wish he'd stayed, he could have been a brilliant impact option off the bench.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name

Farewell message.

I'm going to miss him. It's weird, I didn't really feel he was that great, but now he's leaving, it's just so weird. I felt the same with Walcott, even though I'd come to really hate him on the pitch towards the end, but they've been here so long.

I guess we're moving on, but it's just going to be weird for a club without Wilshere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom