• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
JC, talk about being dramatic. This club needed change. This is a good thing. We can't have players who spend months on the sidelines soaking up massive wages and we can't be a club constantly being patient with someone who by now should be tearing the league up.
But Emery also needs to respect the old hands. He could have made a bigger effort to keep him at the club (I have no way on knowing that he didn't try).

change for change's sake does not equal progress.

It is our misfortune that we do not have any player who has been consistently our icon/talisman and drags us out of trouble. Kos, Ramsey, Özil, Monreal, Bellerin could all become that but it remains to be seen.

We've lost a major part of our identity when Gibbs, Walcott and Wilshere go. Maybe it is time for this change, but it still hurts and perhaps these guys should have been kept around.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I think Jack will enjoy being a bigger fish in a smaller pool, when he gets over moving - that year with Bournemouth will be a blessing with that process - it would be so much more difficult for him if he had never been anywhere but Arsenal for 17 years

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Shame it came to end in this way. Jack was super talented and the expectations were big for him to become an Arsenal legend.
If only those nasty injuries weren't so difficult: the muscle injury after burnout from overplaying in 2010/11, the ankle injury from that shocking "no foul given by Mike Dean" tackle by McNair, training injury by Gabriel and so many muscle injuries in between.

His measured farewell message is fine. It sounds like he also realizes that with the new setup he does not see himself fit to suit a new post-Wenger style.

I would love for him to have stayed and fight for his place, because he's definitely better than Elneny, AMN, while providing competition to Xhaka, Ramsey and an incoming Torreira.

Seems like Jack wants to start a fresh challenge.

Good luck Jack.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It is our misfortune that we do not have any player who has been consistently our icon/talisman and drags us out of trouble. Kos, Ramsey, Özil, Monreal, Bellerin could all become that but it remains to be seen.

We've lost a major part of our identity when Gibbs, Walcott and Wilshere go. Maybe it is time for this change, but it still hurts and perhaps these guys should have been kept around.

With an ageing Koscielny & Ramsey on a 11 month contract the squad is dangerously close to losing that succession of players that I feel is important for any team.

We need the young gooners to break through & Iwobi to kick on while they remain.

... Or just get good again that always helps! :lol: Huge couple of years coming up for Arsenal. Ambivalence towards the club, manager & players is what will kill attendance.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How, by adapting his whole system to accomodate one player that has barely impressed since a one off game against barce some 8 years ago.
dunno really.

Just want us to play people who respect our club, and who I can recognize.

With an ageing Koscielny & Ramsey on a 11 month contract the squad is dangerously close to losing that succession of players that I feel is important for any team.

We need the young gooners to break through & Iwobi to kick on while they remain.

... Or just get good again that always helps! :lol: Huge couple of years coming up for Arsenal. Ambivalence towards the club, manager & players is what will kill attendance.
Amen. Hopefully the hierarchy realise this and keep playing our youth players.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sorry but your reasoning baffles me. Football emotions are completely separate to real world emotions. Nobody in their right mind thinks a player leaving a club is akin to poverty or war. Football is a trivial thing that we all take very seriously, that's the whole point of it: to avoid having to take serious things seriously.

It seems to me that people pick and choose when to bring reality back into football. If they personally don't feel sad about something, they'll say how well-paid footballers are and that there are starving people. But then they'll be sad about something else or happy about something else. Just say you personally don't feel sad about it.

When Wenger left Claude from AFTV trotted out a line every 5 mins saying how he saw a homeless person in the street so it wasn't sad that Wenger was leaving. He was using that to get around the fact he just personally didn't feel sad to see Wenger leave. That's his right, and it's your right to not care that much about Wilshere, but don't bring real world problems into it. Once you do that we might as well just pack up and go home.

We live in a real world whether there's football or not. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who lives a privileged life, has a mansion in Harpenden, has been making £90,000 a week and could afford to turn down a new contract because he's not good enough and not a fit for what the new manager wants to do? Oh, poor Jack. He's going to have to play for Wolves or Palace! What a tragedy!

Jack Wilshere is going to be just fine. He's still going to be a professional footballer. He's still going to be paid an exorbitant amount of money. He's still going to live a privileged life. He's just going to be working for a different company. He won't even have to use a moving van.

Since you bring up Arsène Wenger, you know that there's nobody who loves or respects Arsène more than do I. While I felt sorry for the way he was treated in the media and by a segment of the fan base, I do not feel sorry for him moving on to a different part of his life. He has all he will ever need in terms of security. He will have a choice of new jobs. Or he could simply retire and enjoy days with friends on yachts in Turkey or the south of France. He'll be fine. Why should I feel sorry for him?

You see, none of these things are actually about football. I felt sorry for Jack when he endured all the injuries. I feel sad that he never became the player he could have been. But to feel sorry for him because he wanted to be guaranteed a regular or semi-regular spot in the starting lineup and decided to leave because the manager couldn't give him that guarantee? Well that's just silly.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We live in a real world whether there's football or not. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who lives a privileged life, has a mansion in Harpenden, has been making £90,000 a week and could afford to turn down a new contract because he's not good enough and not a fit for what the new manager wants to do? Oh, poor Jack. He's going to have to play for Wolves or Palace! What a tragedy!

Jack Wilshere is going to be just fine. He's still going to be a professional footballer. He's still going to be paid an exorbitant amount of money. He's still going to live a privileged life. He's just going to be working for a different company. He won't even have to use a moving van.

Since you bring up Arséne Wenger, you know that there's nobody who loves or respects Arséne more than do I. While I felt sorry for the way he was treated in the media and by a segment of the fan base, I do not feel sorry for him moving on to a different part of his life. He has all he will ever need in terms of security. He will have a choice of new jobs. Or he could simply retire and enjoy days with friends on yachts in Turkey or the south of France. He'll be fine. Why should I feel sorry for him?

You see, none of these things are actually about football. I felt sorry for Jack when he endured all the injuries. I feel sad that he never became the player he could have been. But to feel sorry for him because he wanted to be guaranteed a regular or semi-regular spot in the starting lineup and decided to leave because the manager couldn't give him that guarantee? Well that's just silly.
Brilliant post!

I agree with the above 100%, I do not feel sorry for this guy. He earns money we could only dream of and wherever he goes he will continue to.

What I do feel sorry for is me, this guy was what I want from an Arsenal player 100%. he wasn't, in my humble opinion, the best player on the pitch much last year. But at the games I attended he was the most COMMITTED. Something we lack at times. He could've been a captain when he played, he lead by example and was part of what we need. I feel he never reached the heights he could have, but I hoped he still could. Maybe Naively. I am sad, I am sad that an Arsenal boy through and through has had to move on. I think he could have done a job.

But to feel sorry for him? No. I just hoped he could have been part of the change as he deserves it.

I feel sorry for myself that he is gone more than Jack for choosing to. He has made the best choice for him and his career and I respect that.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Jack was the best player many times last season. Its amazing how lazy so many analyses are.

He had a few standout games but small injuries stopped him building on that and nothing remotely comparable to the 2011 season. Lesser players such as Elneny have also been our best player on quite a few occasions, even Mustafi dominated Tottenham at home.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jack was the best player many times last season. Its amazing how lazy so many analyses are.
Tell me about it. It’s amazing (or not so really—maybe ‘telling’ describes it better...) how many times he’s been best player on the park or had a great game and it just gets conveniently discarded. His performance in the Barca game is remembered for a number of reasons—not just because he had a great game. Might also have something to do with beating Bacelona as well, I reckon.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Tell me about it. It’s amazing (or not so really—maybe ‘telling’ describes it better...) how many times he’s been best player on the park or had a great game and it just gets conveniently discarded. His performance in the Barca game is remembered for a number of reasons—not just because he had a great game. Might also have something to do with beating Bacelona as well, I reckon.
Point is, if he was that consistently great the Barce game would be one of many but at present it is the go to game for reference. Which is VERY telling.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Point is, if he was that consistently great the Barce game would be one of many but at present it is the go to game for reference. Which is VERY telling.
More people should actually analyse that game, because if they did and didn’t get lost in nostalgia, they’d see that he’s had many games as good as that, just not against Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom