• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Pointless thread, even during the transfer/WC hiatus.

These guys are on there way down now they’ve passed 30. Speed gives way to stamina. There’s a reason why Bolt has packed in and Mo Farah has switched to the marathon.

The body can’t deliver lightening feet and acceleration any more, and that 0.1 of a second is enough for some young buck defender to make the challenge.

Their outrageous displays will become fewer and fewer, and before you know it, they’ll degenerate into what Joel Campbell was at 20 :lol:
Savage ending. :lol:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Messi, Ronaldo is not only second to Messi now but he's second best of all time behind Messi, as well. We're truly blessed to be able to watch these two as football fans.

Stannis

I always used to say Messi, but post Euros, if someone says Ronaldo I’m not gonna argue it. This may change at the ends of their careers, but I don’t think there is much in it all and ultimately it depends who people gravitate to0

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Messi for me personally.

Ronaldo is fantastic too though, and just behind Messi. I love watching Messi play, but Ronaldo has become so good at clutch moments recently.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
I've seen enough of both to make my own judgement on who I believe to be the better player, and Messi is/and likely will be the best footballer I'll ever see, and it'd be a damn blessing if we get to see another of his (or Cristiano's) class in the future. No one can deny Cristiano's production, but personally, Messi brings more joy and entertainment along with the monster production (and not just goals). Not to mention, the majority of pros, who've played against both at the highest level, opine Messi to be the better footballer.

Also, it's not like Messi isn't a big game player. He's been one of the most consistent big game performers and has scored countless key goals in various competitions against the best teams in the KO rounds and big finals. He's also several years younger than Cristiano, who at this point during the last World Cup was getting knocked out in the group stages (losing out to the USA) and was far behind Messi. Who at that time thought Cristiano would have the years that would follow?

It's a great testament to Cristiano that he has "closed the gap" on Messi. Winning the EUROs and three UCL's on the trot has obviously done his rep a lot of good, scoring some quality goals along the way. Thing is, it's quite funny how narratives unfold. If Higuain finishes any one of his gilt-edged chances in the Copa or, better yet, World Cup finals, there would be no debate. However, he fluffs his chances (plural), and Eder, of all people, scores the winner in the EURO Final to help Cristiano's legacy.

In this current age, public perception is fickle and the general public gravitates to the "what have you done for me lately" mindset. Just look at Lebron, who was, up until the NBA finals, being lauded for his performances and the argument for him over Jordan was never stronger. However, he gets swept by Golden State and his argument instantly goes down the drain (for the most part).

Even though he won La Liga and had a great year numbers-wise, this is probably the lowest point in Messi's career in relation to Cristiano (especially coming off Cristiano's Spain performance, and Messi's failure to convert the pen against Iceland). However, if Messi returns to winning ways in the UCL, Copa, and/or WC in the coming years, this argument will swing back heavily in his favor again. (Damn this post came out longer than expected)

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I've seen enough of both to make my own judgement on who I believe to be the better player, and Messi is/and likely will be the best footballer I'll ever see, and it'd be a damn blessing if we get to see another of his (or Cristiano's) class in the future. No one can deny Cristiano's production, but personally, Messi brings more joy and entertainment along with the monster production (and not just goals). Not to mention, the majority of pros, who've played against both at the highest level, opine Messi to be the better footballer.

Also, it's not like Messi isn't a big game player. He's been one of the most consistent big game performers and has scored countless key goals in various competitions against the best teams in the KO rounds and big finals. He's also several years younger than Cristiano, who at this point during the last World Cup was getting knocked out in the group stages (losing out to the USA) and was far behind Messi. Who at that time thought Cristiano would have the years that would follow?

It's a great testament to Cristiano that he has "closed the gap" on Messi. Winning the EUROs and three UCL's on the trot has obviously done his rep a lot of good, scoring some quality goals along the way. Thing is, it's quite funny how narratives unfold. If Higuain finishes any one of his gilt-edged chances in the Copa or, better yet, World Cup finals, there would be no debate. However, he fluffs his chances (plural), and Eder, of all people, scores the winner in the EURO Final to help Cristiano's legacy.

In this current age, public perception is fickle and the general public gravitates to the "what have you done for me lately" mindset. Just look at Lebron, who was, up until the NBA finals, being lauded for his performances and the argument for him over Jordan was never stronger. However, he gets swept by Golden State and his argument instantly goes down the drain (for the most part).

Even though he won La Liga and had a great year numbers-wise, this is probably the lowest point in Messi's career in relation to Cristiano (especially coming off Cristiano's Spain performance, and Messi's failure to convert the pen against Iceland). However, if Messi returns to winning ways in the UCL, Copa, and/or WC in the coming years, this argument will swing back heavily in his favor again. (Damn this post came out longer than expected)
For me one key aspect settles this debate. CR7 was gifted the physique for this sport. Sure he maintains it through rigorous training methods but Messi has had to fight much harsher odds to climb to the top.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
A few things here to remember, and not an attack on either of the two.

Some of the Ronaldo fans here were posting how Ronaldo would have won a World Cup with Argentina.

Ignoring the fact that before that hattrick, Ronaldo had a total of 3 goals at 3 World Cups, along with 2 assists.

Messi had 5 at 3 world cups, along with 3 assists

Ronaldo was awful at the Euros except in one game where he made the difference. He was then injured at the start of the final

These are facts.

When it comes to the national level, neither Ronaldo nor Messi can claim to have done anything for their country. Messi did take Argentina to one World Cup final, but again, that was his best World Cup, and he couldn't do anything on the big stage, the final.

Just saying, it's easy for people to say Ronaldo would have won with Argentina, but I have my doubts, for all of Argentina's power, their managers have been dreadful. Ronaldo himself hasn't exactly pulled up trees for Portugal, and neither has Messi for Argentina.

At club level, they're both greats, but for their national teams, I think I'd have someone like Klose ahead of both if it was a World Cup XI

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
CR7 just continuing to prove his superiority.
He’s certainly playing the best WC of his life, but Messi had two game winning goals in the group stages in 2014. We’ll have to see what Cristiano and Portugal can do in the KO rounds, if he fails to win it all, it’s moot. If he does win, however, his footballing legacy will be near perfect.

For me one key aspect settles this debate. CR7 was gifted the physique for this sport. Sure he maintains it through rigorous training methods but Messi has had to fight much harsher odds to climb to the top.
He definitely has an athlete’s physique, but I don’t hold that against him. Why not take advantage of the gifts you were born with?

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Dragging Portugal through the group stage by the scruff of the neck.

He's a shoe in for The Golden Boot, I reckon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom