• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
It's not like Mislintat signed **** BVB players. Aubameyang was arguably their best player along Reus. Mkhitaryan was great for them and only got it wrong joining Mourinho. Add @Batman 's "Honestly Mkhi and Auba seem more like cases of right place/right time signing coincidentally helped by Sven's former position more than the beginning of any real pattern." and I think you've got these transfers figured. Sokratis is a good defender in a Dortmund team that's been underperforming recently for various reasons, not only lack of quality depth and peak quality.

They are still dealing with the outfall of that bus bombing, which was apparent during the trial, when most players were reported as being traumatized when testifying.
The aftermath of that was the internal bust-up between management, coach and Mislintat which resulted in both their priced head scout as well as Thomas Tuchel leaving, although they were successfull on the pitch.
Then came Bosz and they started playing some great football, but they got figuered out and somehow that came as such a shock to the team, that they completely fell apart. Their season was basically over when they picked up Koln's crumbs in the form of Stoger as an interim solution. It was clear as day that the guy who couldn't turn around Koln's bad run wouldn't be able to turn around Dortmund's bad form and stay on after the season. That whole appointment sent all the wrong signs to the players. It is clear they were checked out and mentally drained.

Add the severely sentimental clinging to certain longstanding by now subpar players as well as the just as sentimental resigning of certain ex-players, along the loss of key figures/players like Hummels, Gundogan, Mislintat, etc., plus the increasingly erratic behaviour of Aki Watzke, and you're very close to what's wrong at Dortmund right now. It's surely not just the quality of players, and certainly not the quality of their better players, to whom Sokratis certainly belongs.

I'd start worrying if Arsenal were linked to the likes of Gotze, Schmelzer, Sahin or Burki.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
at the end of the day, the biggest loss Dortmund suffered was Jürgen Klopp, it took a few months for certain people to grasp what he did off the field as much as on. He binded the whole club together - from president, to CEO, to sporting director, to players to fans, it's that simple. Not many can do that, but he did, and boy are we suffering for finding out quite how much he did it. Tuchel went a long way to destroying a lot of that, and a panicked coaching choice after, and an uneven approach to transfers, and here we are. The fans are once again feeling a disconect from the team as we did before he arrived.

Sven will be just fine at Arsenal, he does know what he's doing. Sokratis is good, not world class of course, but he's been a good player for 5 years for Dortmund. And I'm sure Sven will also quietly be doing what he did at Dortmund and that is spreading the net wide to find the right players. But it's not unreasonable to be getting some experience in too I guess which is what he is doing now!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
at the end of the day, the biggest loss Dortmund suffered was Jürgen Klopp, it took a few months for certain people to grasp what he did off the field as much as on. He binded the whole club together - from president, to CEO, to sporting director, to players to fans, it's that simple. Not many can do that, but he did, and boy are we suffering for finding out quite how much he did it.

Quite a fitting statement in context of the Arteta debate. I don't want to implicate you in any way favouring this or that. It was just that when I read that, I had to think about that discussion and how I feel a lot of people underestimate the role of head coach/manager.

And they way you described what Klopp was doing at Dortmund, he's doing the same at Liverpool since he signed for them. It all seems much more harmonic and focused what they're doing. And his on field performance is very good, too. Couldn't salvage the league season when he came, but got them into the EL and League Cup final. First full season he did sorta **** in the cups, but he got them back into the top 4. This season they're 4th again, but he's got them into the CL final and built a relentless, entertaining attacking machine.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
Quite a fitting statement in context of the Arteta debate. I don't want to implicate you in any way favouring this or that. It was just that when I read that, I had to think about that discussion and how I feel a lot of people underestimate the role of head coach/manager.

And they way you described what Klopp was doing at Dortmund, he's doing the same at Liverpool since he signed for them. It all seems much more harmonic and focused what they're doing. And his on field performance is very good, too. Couldn't salvage the league season when he came, but got them into the EL and League Cup final. First full season he did sorta **** in the cups, but he got them back into the top 4. This season they're 4th again, but he's got them into the CL final and built a relentless, entertaining attacking machine.

I think Kloppo is a bit of a rare breed in this sense, but you are right, I think that role does have a lot of implications beyond actual coaching that may be underestimated.

We saw it in stark contrast at Dortmund in these past 3 seasons. From a man who really did bring the club together and got the fans back and full engaged after some rough years, to a disconnect again. The fans at Dortmund really turned on the team late this season, to a pretty vicious extent. And even the one poor time we had with Klopp, which was only one half of a season, but it was rough, everyone kept it together. Yes there was some dissent and anger, but it was dealt with - the senior players actually approached the fans personally and diffused it. Now, there isn't that connection and Dortmund fans are not shy of showing their dissaproval.

Kloppo and Tuchel could not be more different in this sense, and it shows how quickly that bond can be broken. From a man who would actually meet up with Ultras leaders for a beer, to a man who wanted nothing to do with the fans. For some clubs it may not matter, but for Dortmund it did. It's important. And having the harmony and link there is hugely benefitial to everything a club will do. It also breeds patience.

Although I am sure cos of Arteta's strong link with the club he'd actually be ok in that sense. For these things to work, egos have to be kept in check a bit too, which is often hard in the testosterone filled world of football! But if it works, it could be the best thing that could happen.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Sven needs to hurry up and get some signings confirmed. Liverpool are giving me the jitters but now Wenger isn't here,surely there won't be a last minute dash.....

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Why are people criticising him for signing Dortmund players? :lol:

Did you not want Aubameyang?

Or is it Arsenal’s player of the month for February and March (injured in April) Henrikh Mkhitaryan that has rankled you?

More Sokratis than anything else.

Maybe we'll finally get Marco Reus.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The man will be getting a statue of his own if he carries on like this. The way things are going he's made more to changes to Arsenal in the past 12 months than Wenger has done in the past 12 years.
Think we might hold off on that statue until we’ve seen the outcome of those changes.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Think we might hold off on that statue until we’ve seen the outcome of those changes.

I hope the other poster was being tongue in cheek because Sven's signings haven't been that impressive. Apart from Aubameyeng but I don't think he gets credit for scouting Dortmund players.

It's interesting that we seem to be less picky when it comes to signing players, Arsène would always want a specific skill set or a type of player he can mold.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I hope the other poster was being tongue in cheek because Sven's signings haven't been that impressive. Apart from Aubameyeng but I don't think he gets credit for scouting Dortmund players.

It's interesting that we seem to be less picky when it comes to signing players, Arséne would always want a specific skill set or a type of player he can mold.
A lot seemed underwhelmed by the signings, but surely that’s got more to do with Kroenke’s budget than Sven’s real wish list. We’re shipping out a lot of players so there’s a lot of holes to fill.

I’ll wait and see how they perform before making judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom