• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Would not be surprised if Chelsea make a late move.

They have cut back on spending, not a great midfield & some big contracts running down. Jack on a free could be worth the risk.

Sarri would be cool with the smoking.

Chelsea already has Ross Barkley, who is basically a young Jack Wilshere.

Uncle Good-Advice

Jack Wilshere - the perfect epitome what was wrong and right in our club these last few years. Of course bad things outweigh the good ones.

Fantastic technician, still great potential and guy who is Arsenal through and through.

But also much more heart than brain, the ultimate crock, not a great tactical awareness, unlucky.

I do feel he would be useful as a local guy but his wage demands was probably much higher than he deserves. Was it because of his self-esteem or vanity? Time will tell.

Thanks lad!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Someone might , sometimes it takes two years for a player to regain his physical sharpness . Still think his best years are ahead of him.
The thing is that Wilshere has had two years to recover but something is still missing. Apart from Falcao maybe,I can't think of a top player who has been injured but came good two years later.

morpho

Established Member
Think the sentiment at Arsenal went out of the window with Wenger, about time we got more ruthless.
This! Cant make the omelett without breaking some eggs. And with so many fans starving and complaining about it, its hard to take the same whiners seriously. I say, about effin' time we get served!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It’s a really illogical opinion to have.

So there is probably a 2/3 year contract on the table at reduced wages and a chunk based on performance/appearance based bonus’. You think it’s a smart career move for jack to sign that deal, whilst making it harder for him to move as he would then command a transfer fee.

The manager has told him to find a new club, but you think it’s better to waste a year of his career that he’s already lost a lot of, trying to prove a manager wrong? There will be plenty of clubs who will offer jack the same money, if not more, whilst also playing under a manager who he knows wants him.

Can you tell me of any players have been told they are not needed by a new manager and forced their way into their plans? It just doesn’t happen.
All you have described is someone not up for the fight. And I don't know enough clubs in detail to answer the question you've asked. But I'm sure there are players who've been told they are surplus to requirements and stayed. I'm sure Delph would have felt he didn't have a shot under Pep and now he is at the World Cup.

Its his decision. My opinion differs from yours. That's really it.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We live in a real world whether there's football or not. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who lives a privileged life, has a mansion in Harpenden, has been making £90,000 a week and could afford to turn down a new contract because he's not good enough and not a fit for what the new manager wants to do? Oh, poor Jack. He's going to have to play for Wolves or Palace! What a tragedy!

Jack Wilshere is going to be just fine. He's still going to be a professional footballer. He's still going to be paid an exorbitant amount of money. He's still going to live a privileged life. He's just going to be working for a different company. He won't even have to use a moving van.

Since you bring up Arséne Wenger, you know that there's nobody who loves or respects Arséne more than do I. While I felt sorry for the way he was treated in the media and by a segment of the fan base, I do not feel sorry for him moving on to a different part of his life. He has all he will ever need in terms of security. He will have a choice of new jobs. Or he could simply retire and enjoy days with friends on yachts in Turkey or the south of France. He'll be fine. Why should I feel sorry for him?

You see, none of these things are actually about football. I felt sorry for Jack when he endured all the injuries. I feel sad that he never became the player he could have been. But to feel sorry for him because he wanted to be guaranteed a regular or semi-regular spot in the starting lineup and decided to leave because the manager couldn't give him that guarantee? Well that's just silly.

I just came back from a screening of a film about the Yazidi genocide. It is immeasurably more important than anything going on in football, but i'm not gonna bring it up the next time I hear someone say how awful it is so-and-so got injured etc., because I realise that the two concepts can co-exist at the same time. It's a form of cognitive dissonance, which is perfectly natural. I don't see why you feel the need to question that.

Linson

Am I the only one who thinks we are making a colossal mistake? We actually have one of the most technically gifted midfielders and we're letting him slip through our fingers but worse than that... Wilshere loves this club.

Wilshere is Arsenal through and through and on his day is almost a one day midfield. His potential is still immense and over the past 2 seasons has gotten rid of his perma-injured tag.

I know many people on here will disagree with this but I actually thought he'd be made club captain at some point in his career here.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Am I the only one who thinks we are making a colossal mistake? We actually have one of the most technically gifted midfielders and we're letting him slip through our fingers but worse than that... Wilshere loves this club.

Wilshere is Arsenal through and through and on his day is almost a one day midfield. His potential is still immense and over the past 2 seasons has gotten rid of his perma-injured tag.

I know many people on here will disagree with this but I actually thought he'd be made club captain at some point in his career here.
Most people did but even with sentiment it's hard for the board to justify keeping him here if he himself wants to be a starter. It's great that he sees himself more than that, atleast he isn't willing to waste his career on the bench.

Would have been a dream for him to stay here till he retired. I believe even Wenger wanted that. Problem is, like many have noted, that idea of loving the players and treating the team as one big family was gone with Wenger. As great as it is that you stay here by merit, it just feels a massive shift given that under Wenger, Jack would have most likely found playtime even if it meant being shoehorned in.

Football is a harsh sport that we were sheltered from for a while. Wengers love for his players ensured that most players felt they had a place here no matter what. With the shift in mentality, it's hard to see how players like Rosicky et al would have lasted here.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I just came back from a screening of a film about the Yazidi genocide. It is immeasurably more important than anything going on in football, but i'm not gonna bring it up the next time I hear someone say how awful it is so-and-so got injured etc., because I realise that the two concepts can co-exist at the same time. It's a form of cognitive dissonance, which is perfectly natural. I don't see why you feel the need to question that.

I don't see what the big deal is. I merely said I wasn't going to feel sorry for a professional footballer who will still be making a ton of money when there are people in the world with real problems. I honestly don't get why this is such a disaster either for Jack or the club. Missing him is fine. Wishing he would stay is fine. I get all that, even if I don't particularly share the sentiment. But feeling sorry for a guy because the new coach wouldn't guarantee him playing time and he made the decision -- himself, on his own -- to move to another club just makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you do consider this a terrible disaster and you weep for Jack's horrible, unspeakable fate, then fine. That's alright with me. I'm not the one trying to tell you how to feel. But don't tell me how to feel either. I'm not going to feel sorry for him just because you tell me I should.

Allow me to quote myself here:

I'm not totally without sentiment, but the fact is that he's still going to be making millions playing a child's game. I won't feel too sorry for him when there are people struggling to get by or living in poverty in this world. Best of luck to him. Hopefully he'll get his career back on track, even if he obviously will never quite reach the heights of promise we once saw in him.

You see, I didn't say that you shouldn't feel sorry for Jack. I said that I won't feel too sorry for him. You're free to feel however you want about it. But I can feel however I want about it as well. See how that works? So stop telling me how I should feel.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Most people did but even with sentiment it's hard for the board to justify keeping him here if he himself wants to be a starter. It's great that he sees himself more than that, atleast he isn't willing to waste his career on the bench.

Would have been a dream for him to stay here till he retired. I believe even Wenger wanted that. Problem is, like many have noted, that idea of loving the players and treating the team as one big family was gone with Wenger. As great as it is that you stay here by merit, it just feels a massive shift given that under Wenger, Jack would have most likely found playtime even if it meant being shoehorned in.

Football is a harsh sport that we were sheltered from for a while. Wengers love for his players ensured that most players felt they had a place here no matter what. With the shift in mentality, it's hard to see how players like Rosicky et al would have lasted here.

I think Arsène's biggest fault (a fault for which in some ways he deserves a lot of respect) is that he was too loyal and sentimental about players he brought into the club when they were young. Think about how many years fans howled that Theo, Gibbs, Oxlade-Chamberlain and others should be sent out of the club (probably some of the same ones who seem to think it's a travesty that Wilshere is leaving). Fans don't understand that for the club football is a business and too much sentimentality can't be afforded. Then, no matter how much they scream for change, they attach themselves to certain players and can't let go.

In another thread (possibly the Banega one, but don't hold me to that) someone pointed out how few players are left from Arsenal's 2014 FA Cup winning team. Someone else wondered if that sort of turnover was normal. City won the title that year, so I looked at their roster. The only players they have left from that title-winning team of just four years ago are Aguero, Kompany, Silva and Fernandinho (unless you count Joe Hart, who is still on the books but hasn't played for them in two years). Almost a complete turnover. They've been absolutely ruthless. Arsenal fans say they want the club to be more like City, but then when they do make the hard decisions (although in the case of Wilshere, it was his own decision) they let sentimentality take over.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal fans say they want the club to be more like City, but then when they do make the hard decisions (although in the case of Wilshere, it was his own decision) they let sentimentality take over.

City must be getting on 20 huge money deals in that period. Upgrading positions with elite players window after window.

Our only realistic path to success is starting the failed cycle again... signing young promising talents like Torreira & bringing through our youth.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
City must be getting on 20 huge money deals in that period. Upgrading positions with elite players window after window.

Our only realistic path to success is starting the failed cycle again... signing young promising talents like Torreira & bringing through our youth.

But in either case, moving on players and replacing them with better players is the proper policy and should not be held hostage by sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom