• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
At club level, they're both greats, but for their national teams, I think I'd have someone like Klose ahead of both if it was a World Cup XI
I'm sure you wouldn't pick klose ahead of anyone them if you made your own team for the world cup though.

Since both of them are miles better than Klose.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Ronaldo is the better athlete.
Messi is better technically.
How is Messi better technically when he has no right foot? Literally all it took for Iceland to completely nullify him was forcing him onto his right foot. CR7's left foot is almost as good as his right foot. Messi is a wonderful player but the amount of things people feel the need to just flat out make up in his favor is evidence enough that he's not the GOAT. Oh Messi is the more "natural" player. False, he needed hormone treatments. Oh Messi is less of a diva. False, he retired after his own failure to convert a penalty and the Argentinean squad is selected based on whom he likes even going so far as to leave players like Icardi at home.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
How is Messi better technically when he has no right foot? Literally all it took for Iceland to completely nullify him was forcing him onto his right foot. CR7's left foot is almost as good as his right foot. Messi is a wonderful player but the amount of things people feel the need to just flat out make up in his favor is evidence enough that he's not the GOAT. Oh Messi is the more "natural" player. False, he needed hormone treatments. Oh Messi is less of a diva. False, he retired after his own failure to convert a penalty and the Argentinean squad is selected based on whom he likes even going so far as to leave players like Icardi at home.
To me this makes him a better player because he has to work harder but I agree with the rest.

Also used to say he wasn't a diva but in recent years he is far more of a diva than any other footballer.

Wilshere1010

Messi is definitely better than Ronaldo technically. You can make the argument for Ronaldo over Messi mainly for the reasons that he's a more complete goalscorer and in recent years has shown up in big moments like no other. But I just can't agree that he's better than Messi technically. Messi is technically the best footballer I've ever seen, but of course football is about more than just that.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Has Ronaldo ever quit his national team after a temper tantrum only to come back after his country beg him to?

People give Ronaldo **** for his ego, but I think he has a better team mentality than most when it comes to his country. The older he gets the more I respect him.

Batman

Messi is definitely better than Ronaldo technically. You can make the argument for Ronaldo over Messi mainly for the reasons that he's a more complete goalscorer and in recent years has shown up in big moments like no other. But I just can't agree that he's better than Messi technically. Messi is technically the best footballer I've ever seen, but of course football is about more than just that.
In what way is he better technically? Technical ability is a whole range of things. I would concede that Messi is the better passer and has better close control(so long as he's using his left foot). CR7 does everything else better and he does it with both feet instead of just one. You can't be the best technically if you're useless on your weak foot. That eliminates you from such an argument immediately. Messi is a good enough player that people shouldn't feel the need to invent and distort and omit things to defend him.

Wilshere1010

In what way is he better technically? Technical ability is a whole range of things. I would concede that Messi is the better passer and has better close control(so long as he's using his left foot). CR7 does everything else better and he does it with both feet instead of just one. You can't be the best technically if you're useless on your weak foot. That eliminates you from such an argument immediately. Messi is a good enough player that people shouldn't feel the need to invent and distort and omit things to defend him.
Messi is a better dribbler, has better close control/first touch, better passing range and weight of pass, generates more whip or curl in his shots, better free kick taker

Ronaldo has more power striking the ball.

I haven't invented or distorted or omitted anything. Messi is not one footed anyway, though I'll agree his right is weaker than Ronaldo's left, but that's such a weak argument. Is Cazorla better than Messi technically then? Wasn't Maradona one footed? You don't rate Diego Maradona's technical ability? I think it's actually you that's inventing and distorting and omitting things mate.

Batman

Messi is a better dribbler, has better close control/first touch, better passing range and weight of pass, generates more whip or curl in his shots, better free kick taker

Ronaldo has more power striking the ball.

I haven't invented or distorted or omitted anything. Messi is not one footed anyway, though I'll agree his right is weaker than Ronaldo's left, but that's such a weak argument. Is Cazorla better than Messi technically then? Wasn't Maradona one footed? You don't rate Diego Maradona's technical ability? I think it's actually you that's inventing and distorting and omitting things mate.
And there's the distortion. I didn't ever say I didn't rate Messi technically. I said you can't be THE BEST technically when you're so one footed. I'm saying he's not better than CR7 technically when you really break down every aspect of technical ability. So instead of just sticking to that point you then argue against a point I didn't make and then add a truly stupid cherry in the form of questioning whether I rated Maradona technically. If my argument is weak then at least it's an argument against what you said rather than making up a ludicrous one that you can better contend with. I do thank you though for being kind enough to prove my point about distortion. Well done.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Has Ronaldo ever quit his national team after a temper tantrum only to come back after his country beg him to?

People give Ronaldo **** for his ego, but I think he has a better team mentality than most when it comes to his country. The older he gets the more I respect him.

You have to be kidding?

Firstly, let Ronaldo get his team to a world cup final before losing in a world cup final, and then we'll see how he reacts. We may well see him quitting or mentioning quitting, because if you cast your mind back a few weeks, you'd probably remember him quitting or threatening to quit his club team because Bale had the audacity to score the winning goals in a CL final; the whole thing rendered meaningless because HE didn't score or grab the headlines, so he went about it the only way he knows, by stamping HIS feet.

As for the second part about 'team mentality', read above again.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
This debate is so tiring. There's only one answer for me and the debate always comes down to people who value substance vs. people who value pompousness. Almost every single statistical analysis favors Messi. If you watch both play, you clearly see one of them doing so much more on the pitch.

If you took away 2/3 of Messi's goals, he'd still be a supremely world class player, and likely still be a GOAT candidate.

Take away 2/3 of Ronaldo's goals, and he's a great winger in his prime/decent poacher now.

Ronaldo is the GOAT in terms of branding though. He cares so much about his image, has a signature celebration so kids will imitate him, has the looks to be in underwear commercials etc.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
You have to be kidding?

Firstly, let Ronaldo get his team to a world cup final before losing in a world cup final, and then we'll see how he reacts. We may well see him quitting or mentioning quitting, because if you cast your mind back a few weeks, you'd probably remember him quitting or threatening to quit his club team because Bale had the audacity to score the winning goals in a CL final; the whole thing rendered meaningless because HE didn't score or grab the headlines, so he went about it the only way he knows, by stamping HIS feet.

As for the second part about 'team mentality', read above again.

tl;dr @Batman already tore you asunder in another thread. Nobody cares.

Every time you visit this thread there is some loser who have decide for everyone and all what good footballer is, what is the most natural footballer, etc when the truth is there is no one right way to play football or look more natural than other at playing football.

What a great argument to take away goals from Ronaldo and then ask what has he then to offer. Jesus. :lol::lol: The goals is what he is, he scores them, he wins games and the biggest trophies. You can't just take something away from him and then start comparing him with others.

And also just because Ronaldo doesn't like to dwell on the ball pretending he is doing something it doesn't mean he isn't doing anything. You don't score and assists the amount of goals Ronaldo does by just standing there.

He is and has been for last few years better than Messi at playing football. And overall in his career he has been the better player. Might also outlast Messi given that he is superior athlete.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
What a great argument to take away goals from Ronaldo and then ask what has he then to offer. Jesus. :lol::lol: The goals is what he is, he scores them, he wins games and the biggest trophies. You can't just take something away from him and then start comparing him with others.

Point was they score the same amount of goals. One is his goals, the other is much more than that.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Not true imo. Both are more than their goals.

aOlsuDE.png

Ronaldo is about as involved in the general play as Aubameyang is.

I might actually be inclined to call C. Ronaldo the greatest ever goal scorer, but I really don't see why the rest of his game needs to be over-inflated. He's a legendary player already, but I really think it's pretty dishonest to suggest the rest of his game is on par with Messi.

aOlsuDE.png

Ronaldo is about as involved in the general play as Aubameyang is.

I might actually be inclined to call C. Ronaldo the greatest ever goal scorer, but I really don't see why the rest of his game needs to be over-inflated. He's a legendary player already, but I really think it's pretty dishonest to suggest the rest of his game is on par with Messi.

LOL example pool La Liga. 32 vs 25 games.

Messi fanboy does it again. Reaching! :lol:

Top Bottom