• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That's an interesting one. Versatility? You think Ronaldo plays all the positions in front of defence, better than Messi?
A Lot of the reasons don’t make sense.

This awful Argentina is going to make the debate all the more frustrating.

I see one guy who is an elite goal scorer. I see another guy who has proven that he is an elite goal scorer but is also an elite playmaker while still out scoring said elite goal scorers. :lol:

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You don't help yourself with rubbish like this. You're contradicting yourself again as well... The best players ever were never judged on what their teammates helped them win. This silly argument only came about when Ronaldo had more CL wins than Messi, and intensified when he won the Euros with Portugal.
This is very true.

Back in the day what made you the best footballer was...being the best at football. Sounds crazy I know.

This is very true.

Back in the day what made you the best footballer was...being the best at football. Sounds crazy I know.

I already replied that post. Don't be fooled just because a few other posters are trying to make it out that I judge players only on trophies.

Ronaldo has football ability on Messi level, would even go as far as saying his football ability is more than Messi.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I already replied that post. Don't be fooled just because a few other posters are trying to make it out that I judge players only on trophies.

Ronaldo has football ability on Messi level, would even go as far as saying his football ability is more than Messi.
Fair enough.

We could go on to argue your last sentence but I think it’s best we just agree to disagree.

As for dropping Messi, the coach would never do it but there’s some logic behind it. Argentina despite all the talented players they have rely on Messi to create (and score) everything for them. I think they’d be a better team in the long run if they reduced Messi’s role as their playmaker in the squad and let other players get on the ball.

Ronaldo has been the better player this tournament but it’s partly due to tactics too. It’s easy to stop a player (Messi) who picks up the ball centrally in the middle third, he can be marked by defenders in front of him and harried by midfielders around and behind him.

In the case of Ronaldo he’s on the last man, looking to get in behind and generally coming in from wide areas. You can’t triple mark him like that without some serious structural damage to your teams shape.

Messi could do better, should have scored that pen. But the Argentinian game plan is horrible, they place everything on Messi and so all you have to do is stop the ball from getting to him and you’re pretty much guaranteed a point.

Wilshere1010

And there's the distortion. I didn't ever say I didn't rate Messi technically. I said you can't be THE BEST technically when you're so one footed. I'm saying he's not better than CR7 technically when you really break down every aspect of technical ability. So instead of just sticking to that point you then argue against a point I didn't make and then add a truly stupid cherry in the form of questioning whether I rated Maradona technically. If my argument is weak then at least it's an argument against what you said rather than making up a ludicrous one that you can better contend with. I do thank you though for being kind enough to prove my point about distortion. Well done.
I gave you a list of reasons I think Messi is better than Ronaldo technically. Are you able to dispute them or at least tell me what makes Ronaldo better technically? I gave you one, he has a more powerful shot. What else?

pacstud

The only dumb argument (from my perspective) is thinking that there IS a definitive argument as to whom is better. They're both all-time elite players.

I would add they're difficult to compare anyway as they both play with such different styles.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The only dumb argument (from my perspective) is thinking that there IS a definitive argument as to whom is better. They're both all-time elite players.

I would add they're difficult to compare anyway as they both play with such different styles.
For me, it’s very simple.

Messi scores the same amount but does it from more positions, thus, he’s proven at this point to be more versatile. That normally settles it.

If we were comparing any other two footballers who people didn’t care as much about, it wouldn’t even be a discussion.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Only thing Ronaldo really has over Messi is that his dominated in three different teams and leagues, Messi's never left the comfort of Barcelona.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don’t get the different league argument. Messi has trounced top teams from every league in the CL time and time again. Why does he need to wear a Man U shirt when dominating Man City? What would it be proving that he hasn’t already proved?

If it means nothing then why do some players struggle when switching leagues and countries? You can’t claim his proved it when his spent his entire career at Barcelona, no where near the same thing.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
If it means nothing then why do some players struggle when switching leagues and countries? You can’t claim his proved it when his spent his entire career at Barcelona, no where near the same thing.

This is only true for players that haven't proven themselves at the top level. If you're a genuine star for Barca, Real, Bayern etc, you're not going to struggle. You're too good at that point.

It's not the same as coming from a club like Sevilla or Udinese. If you've established yourself as one of the main players at Barca, you're good enough to play for any other team in the world. You'd likely be the guy at any other team except for Real.

Hell, fringe Barca/Real starters often leave to get more playtime and establish themselves as top players elsewhere.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

This is only true for players that haven't proven themselves at the top level. If you're a genuine star for Barca, Real, Bayern etc, you're not going to struggle. You're too good at that point.

It's not the same as coming from a club like Sevilla or Udinese. If you've established yourself as one of the main players at Barca, you're good enough to play for any other team in the world. You'd likely be the guy at any other team except for Real.

Hell, fringe Barca/Real starters often leave to get more playtime and establish themselves as top players elsewhere.
Like I said towards the top of this page, a lot of the reasons for Ronaldo>Messi just do not make sense.

If it's ones opinion then fair enough but most of the justifications are so poor.

pacstud

For, it’s very simple.

Messi scores the same amount but does it from more positions, thus, he’s proven at this point to be more versatile. That normally settles it.

If we were comparing any other two footballers who people didn’t care as much about, it wouldn’t even be a discussion.
I, my bad, I thought people were arguing "better". It's "versatility".

I'll take either/both on my team fwiw.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Do people genuinely think the likes of Isco, Marcelo, Rakitic, Messi, Neymar (before the PSG move), Ramos, Alba etc would flop elsewhere?

For 99,9% of players the goal is Real Madrid/Barcelona. Using the fact that players like the above haven't left their elite teams to play elsewhere as a stick to beat them with is ridiculous.

I bet Iniesta has sleepless nights worried that his legacy won't last because he never played against ****ing West Brom.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Do people genuinely think the likes of Isco, Marcelo, Rakitic, Messi, Neymar (before the PSG move), Ramos, Alba etc would flop elsewhere?

For 99,9% of players the goal is Real Madrid/Barcelona. Using the fact that players like the above haven't left their elite teams to play elsewhere as a stick to beat them with is ridiculous.

I bet Iniesta has sleepless nights worried that his legacy won't last because he never played against ****ing West Brom.

Not to mention the record of players leaving Barca and Real and doing brilliantly elsewhere.

Raul, VDV, Sneijder, Özil, Robben, Negredo, Sahin, Callejon, Higuain, Alonso and Khedira from Real just in recent-ish years. These are players they could afford to let go while maintaining a world class level.

The only exception I can think of was Di Maria, but he joined a team in ****ing shambles and quickly found success again after leaving. I'd be hard pressed to name a single Man Utd player from the 14/15 season who did well outside of De Gea.

Top Bottom