• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The difference is, France politics from don't seem to interfere with the players appreciation of their homeland. Like Özil (German) the French players are French first, but you can see how they channel their African sides (can't name all countries involved) on social media et al. They are not shy in celebrating their "other" side.

I wouldn't be so sure. France won, so in retrospect it doesn't look like they had the same problem as Germany. But if they had done a 2010 and f*cked everything up I'm pretty sure there would be similar 'othering' of the players with immigrant (black/arab specifically) backgrounds. Historically France are no better than Germany in terms of assimilating immigrants, in fact they're quite a bit worse.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
France kinda have the same problem you know, they just go about it differently. They do everything to surpress the different roots of their players and insist that everyone is French, French, French. They don’t even like it when African people are happy that France won the WC because of all the different backgrounds. Its viva la republique and nothing more.
The problem started with a US TV host who is South African tho.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure. France won, so in retrospect it doesn't look like they had the same problem as Germany. But if they had done a 2010 and f*cked everything up I'm pretty sure there would be similar 'othering' of the players with immigrant (black/arab specifically) backgrounds. Historically France are no better than Germany in terms of assimilating immigrants, in fact they're quite a bit worse.
Was never aware of that. Had always thought France was more accepting given their music, diversity etc cheers to you and @razörist for pointing it out. Will try and find out more about their position.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Another poster also mentioned something similar and pointed to the fact that the vast differences in opinion from the 30s and earl 40s has never truly been addressed. Your point here gives credence to that.

Hugely impressed how our fans back him.

Truly so much to look forward to this season lads and ladies

Not sure about that because you probably read my post from a couple of weeks ago about how Germany never really resolved the issues that lead to the rise of extreme ideas like Nazism. :lol:

Unfortunately it seems that ideas that were swept under the carpet are starting to rise again at a rapid pace.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Quite sure if France lost everyone here knows who is going to take the most blame.
Giroud

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

The problem started with a US TV host who is South African tho.
Its way deeper than that mate, it is just a telling example of how France deals with it. The french diplomat really made an arse of himself. Trevor Noah only made a joke about Africa finally winning the world cup and the diplomat calls him out for making the players out to be less ‘French’. Its the same discussion again, of people that can’t understand that you can be more than one thing at the same time. You’d have a tough time explaining transgenders or bisexualism to them too. I always use the simple example of how much do you love your children to them.
>I ask them do you love one child more than the other?
<they say no.
>So 50/50?
< No both 100%
>its the same for people with dual nationalities.

That usually shuts them up.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I'm going to say something that is a bit generic.

I've seen the Media defend Bendtner, Denilson, not say a word about Wilshere, or Ramsey when he has a bad day, but Özil is talked about every day.

Lukaku had 10 times the season Morata did. Who was called a donkey with a poor first touch who doesn't have the intelligence to play the game?

There were so many big midfielders who were poor, but which two were criticised the most? Pogba and Lukaku

Who was the one person the English media hated on the English team? Sterling.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Not sure about that because you probably read my post from a couple of weeks ago about how Germany never really resolved the issues that lead to the rise of extreme ideas like Nazism. :lol:

Unfortunately it seems that ideas that were swept under the carpet are starting to rise again at a rapid pace.
Aha, you were the poster. I enjoyed that post. Got me thinking and led to a drunken discussion this weekend with my friends about it. Ta

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Its way deeper than that mate, it is just a telling example of how France deals with it. The french diplomat really made an arse of himself. Trevor Noah only made a joke about Africa finally winning the world cup and the diplomat calls him out for making the players out to be less ‘French’. Its the same discussion again, of people that can’t understand that you can be more than one thing at the same time. You’d have a tough time explaining transgenders or bisexualism to them too. I always use the simple example of how much do you love your children to them.
<they say no.
>So 50/50?
< No both 100%

Love that argument!

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Its way deeper than that mate, it is just a telling example of how France deals with it. The french diplomat really made an arse of himself. Trevor Noah only made a joke about Africa finally winning the world cup and the diplomat calls him out for making the players out to be less ‘French’
I know the issue isn't that shallow. But have you seen the joke? The host went out of bound on something he doesn't know about.
Trevor Noah said "“I get it. I get it. They have to say it’s the French team, but you don't get those tan hanging out in South France" that's actually making the player's less French and the ambassador has the right to complain
i.e. Indonesia had Badminton champion called Liem Swie King (old dude won All England several time in the 80's).
Dude has Chinese name, has Chinese look, and he can speak Chinese, what do you think if some Chinese US host said "I get it, he has to say he is Indonesian, but you don't get those slant eyes and yellow skin hanging out in South East Asia".
See my point?
btw, it was Noah that use "you either be French or African"

Anyway, back to Özil.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
<they say no.
>So 50/50?
< No both 100%

I find it strange seeing people being offended over Africans calling the french team an “african” team in jest. No one is really claiming that their nationality is anything other than french, otherwise they’d play for the countries their parents emigrated from.
The players are clearly ethnically african though and that isn’t something the French can hide no matter how much they try. It’s a case of accepting people for who they truly are.

Another side of the story though is the racists who try to shame countries for being open and inclusive by calling them an “African” team. That’s a whole different issue and shouldn’t be conflated with the previous one.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm going to say something that is a bit generic.

I've seen the Media defend Bendtner, Denilson, not say a word about Wilshere, or Ramsey when he has a bad day, but Özil is talked about every day.

Lukaku had 10 times the season Morata did. Who was called a donkey with a poor first touch who doesn't have the intelligence to play the game?

There were so many big midfielders who were poor, but which two were criticised the most? Pogba and Lukaku

Who was the one person the English media hated on the English team? Sterling.
Lukaku is a striker... Point well taken though. Certain players are easier targets.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
how much they try. It’s a case of accepting people for who they truly are.

Another side of the story though is the racists who try to shame countries for being open and inclusive by calling them an “African” team. That’s a whole different issue and shouldn’t be conflated with the previous one.
Thanks for wording thoughts I have been trying to articulate so brilliantly here. Quite a poignant topic for me (as a white South African) and it is refreshing to see that the idiots are a minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom