• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
What a ****ing response by Özil. I love him for standing up and calling out the racists, hate-filled media and double standards.

He delivered the mother of all bombs on DFB and depending on other player reactions/interviews if they come out in support of him, there should be heads rolling in DFB in all leading positions. There's no coming back from this.

ozil_31.jpg

P.S. I loved it how he specifically mentioned Matthaus and his meeting with Putin. It was a disgusting behavior by him as he fawned and almost crawled under the table to suck up to Putin.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

seems like most of the reactions in Germany are against him.

They don't like it, because Özil has touched deep down on a growing sentiment against people of different origins than Germans.

First it was PEGIDA and now it's no wonder that a far right party AfD (with connections to PEGIDA) is now the third force in German Parliament.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I know the issue isn't that shallow. But have you seen the joke? The host went out of bound on something he doesn't know about.
Trevor Noah said "“I get it. I get it. They have to say it’s the French team, but you don't get those tan hanging out in South France" that's actually making the player's less French and the ambassador has the right to complain
i.e. Indonesia had Badminton champion called Liem Swie King (old dude won All England several time in the 80's).
Dude has Chinese name, has Chinese look, and he can speak Chinese, what do you think if some Chinese US host said "I get it, he has to say he is Indonesian, but you don't get those slant eyes and yellow skin hanging out in South East Asia".
See my point?
btw, it was Noah that use "you either be French or African"

Anyway, back to Özil.
I know it was only a joke and I know it wasn’t meant to be a criticism of the French NT. But what Noah said was clumsy and does more harm than good.

First, saying “Africa won the world cup” is different than saying “French players with African origins won the world cup”. The former was Noah's joke - the latter is what he ultimately explained in response to the Ambassador's letter. They’re two very different things. Again, I understand that it was a joke and if it’s too subtle it doesn’t work. But that sort of explains why that joke wasn’t necessarily well received.

Second, I don’t think the French ambassador was arguing that they have to “erase everything that is African” or that "he doesn't see colour". This is overly simplistic. In fact, that letter from the Ambassador explicitly acknowledges that these French players have different origins and backgrounds.

Third, and I think this is why a lot of folks were uncomfortable with this joke, why is it always “African players” that have to be singled out? In that French team, you also had Griezmann who has German origins. You have Hernandez who has Spanish origins. You have Lloris who also has Spanish origins. And Giroud’s grandmothers were both Italian. Yet, only the African players are being singled out. Why? Interesting to see that French players themselves were a bit annoyed that their origins became a topic of discussion in, e.g., the US.

Fourth, these sort of jokes are actually doing the far right a favor. They’re saying exactly the same thing. It’s obviously not Noah's intention but, unfortunately, it’s a fact.

In any event, what matters the most is that both the Ambassador's message and Noah's message were obviously meant to be positive: France truly benefits from its diversity. They just have different ways of expressing it...
You truely made me think about this once again and made me see a different side of it all.

Thank you.

razörist

They don't like it, because Özil has touched deep down on a growing sentiment against people of different origins than Germans.

First it was PEGIDA and now it's no wonder that a far right party AfD (with connections to PEGIDA) is now the third force in German Parliament.
Did not know pegida was German. We have it in Holland too. They tried to go to Mosques here during Ramadan to roast pork in front of the door and to shout hatefull things about Islam.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Its way deeper than that mate, it is just a telling example of how France deals with it. The french diplomat really made an arse of himself. Trevor Noah only made a joke about Africa finally winning the world cup and the diplomat calls him out for making the players out to be less ‘French’. Its the same discussion again, of people that can’t understand that you can be more than one thing at the same time. You’d have a tough time explaining transgenders or bisexualism to them too. I always use the simple example of how much do you love your children to them.
>I ask them do you love one child more than the other?
<they say no.
>So 50/50?
< No both 100%
>its the same for people with dual nationalities.

That usually shuts them up.

Noah is a piece of **** himself that made racist jokes about indigenous Australians a couple of years back .

razörist

Noah is a piece of **** himself that made racist jokes about indigenous Australians a couple of years back .
Thank you @celestis I accept now that I did not have all the information and made an incorrect judgement. Anyway are you ok? This is the closest I’ve seen to a rage post from you in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom