• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

nick gould

The starting lineup wasn’t balanced. Listein comes in and looked very comfortable and you think why was he not in the starting lineup. Experience and definitely up for a fight.

Xhaka and Gendouzi starting as a midfield pair was not good enough. They are not mobile enough and not defensively astute. I would have started the team that finished.

Ramsey in a Number 10 position offers absolutely nothing. You are taking your highest paid player Özil off his preferred position and replacing him with a player who is not even half as good in that position. Ramsey has not had a good pre-season.

Check

The starting lineup wasn’t balanced. Listein comes in and looked very comfortable and you think why was he not in the starting lineup. Experience and definitely up for a fight.

Xhaka and Gendouzi starting as a midfield pair was not good enough. They are not mobile enough and not defensively astute. I would have started the team that finished.

Ramsey in a Number 10 position offers absolutely nothing. You are taking your highest paid player Özil off his preferred position and replacing him with a player who is not even half as good in that position. Ramsey has not had a good pre-season.

Couldn't agree more. Özil isn't a winger. Emery should've switched Ramsey and Özil. Özil doesn't like to defend a beast like Mendy. On the other side Ramsey is more capable of doing the dirty work.

About the Lichtsteiner part, probably he wasn't totally match fit according training data or something? But imo he was one of our best players today when he came in. Should definitely start against Chelsea ahead of Monreal.

Oh-Zeal

Xhaka cannot play in midfield. He cannot be in front of play at the same he cannot be our deepest. His so vulnerable on the ball. Torreira needs to be our deepest. Now the player that needs to be next to him is a disciplined Ramsey. How I wish we had a controller. Bangea would've been something next to Torreira as Ramsey is such a lose player. Özil is **** out wide so he can only be involved in the no.10 role. How I wish we got a winger who can take players on wide as well with bags of pace. Arsenal is going to make progress but they just so imbalanced. It'll also take a run of games for Emery to see the players he can trust.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

As we like to press I'd have to go with the hardest working line up, Mkhitaryan simply does not offer enough on the wing, and Lacazette needs to play I'd start this against Chelsea:

--------------------Leno-----------------------
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Lichtsteiner

---------Torreira ----------Ramsey-----------

---------------------Özil------------------------

Welbeck --------Lacezette-----Aubameyang

Welbeck provides the hard work that is much needed on the wing; this means taking a hit on potential magic (that Mhkitaryan could offer), but I'd take solid over the odd chance of magic.

Cech was fantastic, but if we are going to do the passing from the back we need to stop p*ssyfooting and just play Leno as he is the better passer.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I could say the same thing about Özil. He never looks like he fits in anywhere.

Özil has a recognised position and when played their makes our team better and is one of the best in the world

Ramsey as a midfielder is a liability defensively and as a forward is lacking creatively

He scores goals but either line he’s in suffers because of him overall

This isn’t the Ramsey thread but in Wenger and now Emery’s formation/style, struggle to see a place for him. If he keeps playing Özil as a winger the same will apply for him tbh

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It was a great first match for Emery to see them vs quality opposition & our problems.

Looked pretty clear Guendouzi can only start with the protection of Torreira behind. The attack looked 10x better with Lacazette on the pitch but the trio of him, Aubameyang & Özil desperately need minutes together.

No idea of formation but I hope to see it built round two groups of three.

Guendouzi / Torreira / Ramsey

Aubameyang / Lacazette / Özil

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Can't argue with what you have said , playing Ramsey at 10 meant we couldn't keep the ball which meant extra pressure on the defence , Xhaka and Guendouzi. Özil had to play at 10 ,even play Ramsey on the wing acting as an auxiliary mid with the ball . Positions can interchange from there .

Aevi

Hale End FC
We had no pace, let alone presence, in wide areas. Özil and Mkhi as wingers both drift centrally and make it difficult to attack at their fullbacks when they're exposed. They aren't that quick on the counter either, or at least weren't quick enough for this particular defense. When passing failed them, they didn't have much to offer. We need Auba or Nelson on the wing to offer us something different.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ramsey just isn’t anything. Not a true forward, not a responsible midfielder, not technical enough to be a 10.

His special skill of scoring goals is inextricably linked to his downsides as a CM.

If you include him in a 3 with two more responsible CMs then Özil becomes a winger and pointless (expensively pointless at that).

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I'd like to see this once

---------------------Leno--------------------------------
Bellerin- Musti --- Sokratis -Lichtsteiner
--------------------Torreira----------------------------
--------------Matteo--Iwobi-------------------------
----------------------Özil-------------------------------
-----------------PEA-----LACA------------------------

blaise

Not overly dissapointed with a loss, but with tactics certainly. This yesterday was similar to Wengers lineups. I hoped we ll play compact 4-3-3 but again we opted for streched 4-2-3-1 with often 4-2-4. Come on you cant play this with Özil and Mikhi on the wing who have neither speed or directness to beat player 1on1, especially Özil. Only Auba makes a difference there.

For Ramsey I cant even find any words, he continues to be attacker not a midfielder. If that is the case play 3 midfielders and if Ramsey is one of our three best attackers, then ok send him on a pitch.

But with this formation and personnel we cant get a grasp on a game, hold the ball and make something of it. Also Xhaka way too slow to play like this, he ll be often caught out of position. Only Torreira can play this and maybe french kid can get a grasp of it during the season.

We need to stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole. If you opted for Özil then give Ramsey a one way ticket out. I dont think they can function together on a pitch in a stretch of games. What is laughable is that Mikhi is probably better than any of them two as a n10 in 4-2-3-1.

Apparently we were one of three teams that didn't create a chance this weekend. The other two being Brighton & Hove Albion and Cardiff City. This is according to Gracenote. I don't know if they are accurate but thought I leave it here!

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Apparently we were one of three teams that didn't create a chance this weekend. The other two being Brighton & Hove Albion and Cardiff City. This is according to Gracenote. I don't know if they are accurate but thought I leave it here!
That's weird because we had the best playmaker in the world who had created 6783 chances against South Korea in the World Cup!

Hope Emery can fix it!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Bellerin had a decent chance?

I'd like to see us, based on yesterday, switch to a 4312 formation. It's effectively what we played yesterday anyway.

Cech
Bellerin Mustafi Sokratis Lichtsteiner

Ramsey Guendouzi Torreira

Özil

Auba Lacazette

It takes Özil out of the wings, gives us our two strikers and provides a mobile midfield to cover the space wide and press. Potentially you could bring in Welbeck over Lacazette but I felt Lacazette looked sharp yesterday (except when Özil had a heavy touch and Lacazette just stood there not switched on at all) and i really want our 100m strike force to start games together.

Xanth

Not accurate at all lol. What do they define as a chance? I can immediately recall chances inside the penalty box from Lacazette, Bellerin and Mkhitaryan. Then there was Lichtsteiner's cross that Özil couldn't control right in front of goal.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom