• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Manchester City | August 12th, 2018 16:00 BST | Sky Sports

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
I've read it was a 18 months notice according to the guardian.
Anyway, it's not that big of a deal for them the debt would probably be part of the purchase price paid by whoever comes in if their owner decides to leave.
Just like when Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

I absolutely don't want this over our heads though.

But clearly we've been under spending lately. We have bigger incomes than most clubs, including Liverpool.
We got more money from EL than Man Utd in CL.
http://www.cityam.com/285175/champions-league-and-europa-league-revenue-much-prize-money

And yet according to Ornstein we couldn't afford any player a few weeks ago before selling ? :lol:

A supposedly self sustaining club should be able to spend as much as it makes, not for Kroenke to take what he wants and to use the balance to secure loans for whatever project is next. Bad times.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I've read it was a 18 months notice according to the guardian.
Anyway, it's not that big of a deal for them the debt would probably be part of the purchase price paid by whoever comes in if their owner decides to leave.
Just like when Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

I absolutely don't want this over our heads though.

But clearly we've been under spending lately. We have bigger incomes than most clubs, including Liverpool.
We got more money from EL than Man Utd in CL.
http://www.cityam.com/285175/champions-league-and-europa-league-revenue-much-prize-money

And yet according to Ornstein we couldn't afford any player a few weeks ago before selling ? :lol:
Yeah, just checked, it is 18months, my bad. Your right, selling the club would be a far more effective way for Abramovich to get his money back than calling in the debt.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Why do we somehow always end up with a conversation about squad cost?! Sick of it by now tbh, I rate @Makingtrax but if I was mod I would ban him just stop it.

Jae

Not really, when they signed a £400m deal with Etihad in 2011 the chairman of the company was Sheikh Mansour's half-brother.

Agreed, a few of their deals have raised eyebrows in the past. Being gifted sponsorship deals 10 times what they are worth, it's all backhanded and they have used shady ways of pumping money into their club without breaking FFP rules. I believe Wenger has commented on this several times.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
But Stamford Holdings owe Abramvic £1.2bn which according to the FT can be ‘called in’ at 6 months notice. Would you want that over our heads?
Yes. If it meant we'd been winning more than one trophy per season for the past 13 years. End of the day when Kronke owns 100% of the shares he can turn the stadium into a pig farm overnight if he wants.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Why do we somehow always end up with a conversation about squad cost?! Sick of it by now tbh, I rate @Makingtrax but if I was mod I would ban him just stop it.
He did not start the conversation. It went onto it because of yesterday's game spilling over to Guardiola's managerial qualities and then how much money he's always had to spend in his teams. It's called a conversation.

Why not ban everyone? Then no-one will bother you.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Agreed, a few of their deals have raised eyebrows in the past. Being gifted sponsorship deals 10 times what they are worth, it's all backhanded and they have used shady ways of pumping money into their club without breaking FFP rules. I believe Wenger has commented on this several times.

There's the feeder club situation as well - getting players at dirt cheap prices and then selling them on at huge profit

Reactions: Jae

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
The sooner financial doping is put a stop to the better. City fans living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they'd be where they are without it.

I don't think anyone on earth is seriously thinking that City would not be either fighting for relegation, be in absolute mediocrity or even down in second division without their financial doping

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
The sooner financial doping is put a stop to the better. City fans living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they'd be where they are without it.

There's nothing wrong with financial doping.
Football is just a business like the other ones. It has become one so there's no way back :lol:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I really like that Gwen is making himself available to receive the ball every time, but that same eagerness will tire him very fast, so he needs to get his fitness to a whole new level if he's going to play that way.

Positioning will eventually settle once he plays more games, but that same eagerness is why he'll still get caught like yesterday, when Aguero should have scored from that chance he was gifted. It's a sign of his young age, after all.

The way we played against $hitty reminded me of a bunch of teenagers trying to impress with more pace, but no consistency going forward and a lack of understanding between each other.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Interesting article in the Telegraph.
Unai Emery inherits years of Arsène Wenger's poor signings - it will take time to make Arsenal his own
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rits-years-Arséne-wengers-poor-signings-will/

Here’s a reply from a reader:

You've painted a picture of Arsenal being left as a disaster when Wenger departed. This is truly a case of exaggerating the negative while being oblivious to the positive.

For example, it was just last year (April 2017) that Wenger's Arsenal defeated Guardiola's Manchester City by 2-1 in an FA Cup semi-final match. And this victory was achieved AFTER Pep had the benefit of nearly a full season at Man City 'under his belt'.

Of course, this win was the prelude to Arsenal's even more convincing victory over newly crowned PL Champs Chelsea in the FA Cup final, a victory which was then Arsenal's 3rd FA Cup in the past 4 competitions (and 7th out of 21). Not bad for an Arsenal squad assembled exclusively via Wenger's "poor recruiting".

Also not bad was Arsenal's 20 consecutive years of Champion's League qualification, and missing out by only a single point in the 21st year. Another forgotten recent achievement is Arsenal's 2nd place PL finish in 2016.

And look at Arsenal's offensive stars, both recent and current: Sanchez, Ramsey, Giroud, Lacazette, Aubameyang, etc... each one a Wenger recruit!

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Unai Emery inherits years of Arséne Wenger's poor signings - it will take time to make Arsenal his own
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rits-years-Arséne-wengers-poor-signings-will/

You've painted a picture of Arsenal being left as a disaster when Wenger departed. This is truly a case of exaggerating the negative while being oblivious to the positive.

For example, it was just last year (April 2017) that Wenger's Arsenal defeated Guardiola's Manchester City by 2-1 in an FA Cup semi-final match. And this victory was achieved AFTER Pep had the benefit of nearly a full season at Man City 'under his belt'.

Of course, this win was the prelude to Arsenal's even more convincing victory over newly crowned PL Champs Chelsea in the FA Cup final, a victory which was then Arsenal's 3rd FA Cup in the past 4 competitions (and 7th out of 21). Not bad for an Arsenal squad assembled exclusively via Wenger's "poor recruiting".

Also not bad was Arsenal's 20 consecutive years of Champion's League qualification, and missing out by only a single point in the 21st year. Another forgotten recent achievement is Arsenal's 2nd place PL finish in 2016.

And look at Arsenal's offensive stars, both recent and current: Sanchez, Ramsey, Giroud, Lacazette, Aubameyang, etc... each one a Wenger recruit!
That sounds like a trademark Makintrax post. :lol:

Jae

I don't think anyone on earth is seriously thinking that City would not be either fighting for relegation, be in absolute mediocrity or even down in second division without their financial doping

Mate less than 20 years ago they were playing in the Second Division play-off Final against Gillingham and we'd just won the premier league the season before :lol:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Unai Emery inherits years of Arséne Wenger's poor signings - it will take time to make Arsenal his own

We really need to dissociate Wenger's work between the different eras.

I think Wenger recruiting has been underwhelming since the 2013 summer.

He has failed to build solid fundations.
Emery has inherited from a totally unbalanced squad:

Wenger has left our squad that has:

- A terrible GK & defense situation. Bellerin has been out of form for at least 2 years. Our CB situation was/is a concern. Kolasinac has been a flop so far and Monreal is getting older.

- Our midfield hasn't been working since the Cazorla/Coquelin partnership in 2015.
Our DM situation has been a weak spot for years that I can't even tell :lol: I just remember every pundits/fans wanted a DM signing in the early 2010.
And we've never replaced our true leaders in the cm spot that were Cesc (before he was turned into a CAM and then left), Arteta, and finally Cazorla. Ramsey is clearly not that kind of player.

- Our attack is unbalanced. We have really good players there, but we don't have any good wingers in the squad.
We've seen the importance of the Sterling/mahrez type of player yesterday.

Ofc on its day this squad can beat almost any team.
But it has huge flaws that held us back and make us an inconsistent team.
And consistency is what is needed if you want to compete for a championship.

This is, imo Wenger's fault and his staff/the board?
We've made a bunch of pointless signings: Perez, Welbeck, Mustafi, Gabriel, Chambers, Xhaka that haven't improved us at all. And we have to sell them for a big loss.

We've made changes behind the scene a bit too late.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We really need to dissociate Wenger's work between the different eras.

I think Wenger recruiting has been underwhelming since the 2013 summer.

He has failed to build solid fundations.
Emery has inherited from a totally unbalanced squad:

Wenger has left our squad that has:

- A terrible GK & defense situation. Bellerin has been out of form for at least 2 years. Our CB situation was/is a concern. Kolasinac has been a flop so far and Monreal is getting older.

- Our midfield hasn't been working since the Cazorla/Coquelin partnership in 2015.
Our DM situation has been a weak spot for years that I can't even tell :lol: I just remember every pundits/fans wanted a DM signing in the early 2010.
And we've never replaced our true leaders in the cm spot that were Cesc (before he was turned into a CAM and then left), Arteta, and finally Cazorla. Ramsey is clearly not that kind of player.

- Our attack is unbalanced. We have really good players there, but we don't have any good wingers in the squad.
We've seen the importance of the Sterling/mahrez type of player yesterday.

Ofc on its day this squad can beat almost any team.
But it has huge flaws that held us back and make us an inconsistent team.
And consistency is what is needed if you want to compete for a championship.

This is, imo Wenger's fault and his staff/the board?
We've made a bunch of pointless signings: Perez, Welbeck, Mustafi, Gabriel, Chambers, Xhaka that haven't improved us at all. And we have to sell them for a big loss.

We've made changes behind the scene a bit too late.
Wenger was making all signing alone he didn't have Raul or Sven to recommend him signings still the players he wanted didn't work out for him. Xhaka kola were in the team of the season in Germany mustafi was quality player with Valencia and was starting at his national team.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Imo the statement of splitting Wenger's reign into two parts is false, it should be three !

Obviously, the first part very much lasts to the invincibles area and a bit further.
That patch very much ended with the move to the Emirates which has been stated often enough on here and does not require too much in depth explanatio as to why this has been hard and our financial means have been cut, to say the least.

The second part, something Wenger has stated himself and I very much agree to this in most parts, has been his best part and hardest to do. To even keep us in contention for the highest honors, to keep us a household name in world football, to still bring up worldclass players on a consistent basis, to play the beautiful Arsenal-way and to be successfull nonetheless.

The third part isn't so easy to define in regard to its starting point, but it might be a bit before or after the Leicester title winning season.

I think he got caught by time a bit by then and his tactical game was no longer good enough for the biggest level. He also did no longer have the magic touch (and luck) to get the biggest gems in world football or to get the best out of his signings all the time.

One of his biggest strenghts, being (too) trusting in his players became more and more his biggest flaw. He destroyed his own legacy at a time where he finally could've spent a bit more than in all the years with a tight pocket.
The biggest mistake was probably not signing Kante when he was eager to come because he trusted Coquelin and co to do the job.

He was overachieving for two very distinct time periods and it was only very much the last couple of years where he really could and should have done things better/DIFFERENT.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Wenger was making all signing alone he didn't have Raul or Sven to recommend him signings still the players he wanted didn't work out for him. Xhaka kola were in the team of the season in Germany mustafi was quality player with Valencia and was starting at his national team.

That's why I've said we've made changes behind the scenes a bit too late.

Xhaka imo isn't a bad player. He's just a bad fit. Kola is a weird one.
But it's a much deeper issue.
From 2013 what are the players Wenger has brought who have really improved our team?

Özil
Nacho
Sanchez
Cech?
Lacazette. His arrival has came 2 or 3 years too late. I have so many regrets we didn't have him in a functioning team. I would have loved to see him alongside Sanchez when he has still wanted to play for the Arsenal shirt :(
Ospina was a decent backup.

Idk if Mkhitaryan & Aubam were Wenger's signings or more Sven's. Anyway they were good signing that came 6 months too late imo.

But we have made so many bad choices under the last years of his reign.
Here are his main failures imo that are still hurting us:

- He's failed to find a proper replacement for Per Mertesacker and Koscielny. All the CB he has brought after these 2 were huge failures.

- He hasn't brought a competition for Bellerin (for years) and has put way too much faith in him and he has let him down.

- He's never fixed our midfield and built a working partnership like he did with the Cazorla/Coquelin one which allowed us to be the team who earned the most points that year.

And now Emery has to build from scratch a functionning defense and midfield with very little ressources.

But now this is the past and there's nothing we can do that will change that!
We're gonna need some serious investment and a lot of work to fix our squad.
Even though I think top 4 is possible. Hard to get but possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom