• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery seem from his press conference after the game he will keep starting Özil and will help to push Özil to perform better.

I always sugget that we dont play Özil in big games he always stuggle to perform

I don't mind players struggling to perform. The problem with Özil though is that he is not even doing the bare minimum while some behind him are doing the work of two people.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I don't mind players struggling to perform. The problem with Özil though is that he is not even doing the bare minimum while some behind him are doing the work of two people.
i always feel with Özil in big game we look like playing with 10 men he don't help defensively much and going forward if there is not much space for him he'll struggle to create chances.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
This might be the single worst post I ever read on here. Jezus. Jeeezs. I have no words. Enough for tonight.

Please feel free to break down how he, Özil, didn't bend the club over due to his contract length and benefiting from a star player also leaving for United?

Please also feel free to justify just how many things need to be absolutely perfect to get consistent performances out of him? Not saying he's limited in terms of footballing ability like Theo, Özil clearly has a lot in his locker, but he's limited in terms of being able impose himself on games if the stars don't align. Theo too could be super effective if you played completely to his strengths, but to me you're limited if that's the only way you are worth a damn as otherwise you're playing effectively down a man.

Another game against another top team and another nothing performance by our superstar, but keep your head in the sand though.

IslingtonBornandbred

Please feel free to break down how he, Özil, didn't bend the club over due to his contract length and benefiting from a star player also leaving for United?

Please also feel free to justify just how many things need to be absolutely perfect to get consistent performances out of him? Not saying he's limited in terms of footballing ability like Theo, Özil clearly has a lot in his locker, but he's limited in terms of being able impose himself on games if the stars don't align. Theo too could be super effective if you played completely to his strengths, but to me you're limited if that's the only way you are worth a damn as otherwise you're playing effectively down a man.

Another game against another top team and another nothing performance by our superstar, but keep your head in the sand though.

How would you say Hazard affected the game when he came on around 60 minutes? Would you say he had more of an impact than Özil?

There's this notion that Özil is a rare example of a player who needs absolute near perfection in terms of the team's playing style, those playing behind him, the movement in front of him and a host of other factors for him to perform.

I'm sorry but top top players generally affect games regardless of the circumstances. It might be getting on the ball and getting the team playing, it might be driving at the opposition, it might be a moment of magic, it might be sticking it in the top corner out of nowhere but for me far too often in close games or tough games against good opposition Özil looks like a boy playing against men and to be honest his performances are quite frankly not good enough for a player of his previous standing and quality.

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
How would you say Hazard affected the game when he came on around 60 minutes? Would you say he had more of an impact than Özil?

There's this notion that Özil is a rare example of a player who needs absolute near perfection in terms of the team's playing style, those playing behind him, the movement in front of him and a host of other factors for him to perform.

I'm sorry but top top players generally affect games regardless of the circumstances. It might be getting on the ball and getting the team playing, it might be driving at the opposition, it might be a moment of magic, it might be sticking it in the top corner out of nowhere but for me far too often in close games or tough games against good opposition Özil looks like a boy playing against men and to be honest his performances are quite frankly not good enough for a player of his previous standing and quality.

Either you replied to the wrong person or are just trying to continue off what I said as otherwise you are preaching to the chior here mate. :lol:

Özil's best period came last year and we were crap but he was making things happen, but generally we'd hear from the Özil FC stans that it's everyone else's fault he isn't able to preform (Giroud's fault, needs runners, etc) throughout his time here.

Özil FC supporters on here have bent over backwards to defend Özil's underperformances and deflect any and all criticism from him onto others. He's been at AFC for years, he's the face of the club, and if you give a damn about Arsenal you would want more out of him.

Last edited:

IslingtonBornandbred

Either you replied to the wrong person or are just trying to continue off what I said as otherwise you are preaching to the chior here mate. :lol:

Özil FC supporters on here have bent over backwards to defend Özil's underperformances and deflect any and all criticism. He's not at Madrid anymore. He's been at AFC for years, he's the face of the club, and if you give a damn about Arsenal you would want more out of him.

No I generally agree with you. I was kind of just prodding you to get more out of you by asking you in that manner.

I appreciate the type of player that he is, and he's never going to be (just an example) a Zaha who beats three men and sticks it in the back of the net but for fu*k sake show something Mesut, do something, affect the game....in so many games where things aren't quite set up perfectly for him, he's just there and offers nothing.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
i always feel with Özil in big game we look like playing with 10 men he don't help defensively much and going forward if there is not much space for him he'll struggle to create chances.
Always was and always will be a luxury player.
I, for one, would get rid of him and get a more hard working and straightforward playmaker that doesn't hide in big games.

We've tried to find a way to get the best out of him and he's just not cutting the mustard consistently in this league.
One day he's playing well and the next it's like we're with 10 men, as you said.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I really really want this guy to do well here. I feel dreadful about what's transpired in Germany. That said, he makes it so very hard to defend performances like today's. I counted 1 instance of him tracking back with any real intent today, right before he was subbed off after being dispossessed far too easily in the final third and killing an attacking move. When his number came up he mouthed "**** off." Now if that was because he was angry at his effort on the day then fair play. But if that was because he didn't feel his performance to that point warranted a sub then I really wonder if he'll ever have the sort of impact his talent suggests he should because he cannot have believed that was good enough today.

The first match was similarly poor in possession but at least there was consistent effort to press and track back. This today was the Özil that created the narrative that pundits feel comfortable pushing every match because he seldom proves them wrong. Head down, on the periphery of everything. I don't even remember him playing a dangerous ball which he's typically capable of at least once in a match, even on his worst days. And what's even more damning is that the Chelsea midfield was a sieve defensively. Kante wasn't at his usual level and there was plenty of space in an open game. This is the kind of match he should be absolutely dominating and there wasn't even a whiff of impact. We can talk about where he plays and who is behind him and all that good stuff but ultimately it's Özil and Özil alone who is going to determine his impact.

Tony's nose

Done with this guy now , came with a big fan fare the 'new bergkamp'.
Yea right blagged an over inflated wage and has only bothered in about 50 %of his Arsenal career.

Ship him out imho

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I wonder if his style of play is obsolete. Cesc, Silva,KDB, old Mata,Santi,Erikssen.... have a style that sees them more involved. These players pass and move more and are central. Özil isn't like these and he's not Bergkamp either. His style is unique but I saw him play really well in a different style in I think his second season with us. The fan base was united on those performances and Özil looked exhausted at the end of those games. If he can't play like that more then we have to rethink.

TheArsenalis

I wonder if his style of play is obsolete. Cesc, Silva,KDB, old Mata,Santi,Erikssen.... have a style that sees them more involved. These players pass and move more and are central. Özil isn't like these and he's not Bergkamp either. His style is unique but I saw him play really well in a different style in I think his second season with us. The fan base was united on those performances and Özil looked exhausted at the end of those games. If he can't play like that more then we have to rethink.
No it's his application

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I am starting to slowly accept that there is no place for Mesut and Mkhi in the same side. We have some tough decisions to make soon.

Objectively speaking, for the wage he's on and what we expect, Mesut has been largely disappointing in his time here. If we were to move on this summer, I don't think we'd lose too much, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom