• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: Lad of Luscious Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo_da_Silva

I'm not sure if what you have said has been lost in translation, but saying the guy has no hunger is downright wrong.

He switches off at times, loses concentration, looks awkward defensively but saying he has no hunger is as bad as the other person who claimed he doesn't show for the ball. He's been captain of every side he plays for and Emery has put him in the leadership group because he's probably one of the hungriest most motivated players in the side. He apparently is one of the best trainers at the club and while he might have his physical and mental faults, I certainly don't think hunger is one of them :lol:
He can be phenomenal at each and every training but him jogging back after an awful pass, ballwatching all the time and triping people around like hes playing this sport for the first time shows alot. For me hunger is throwing yourself in the post and saving a goal, and then kicking Buffon in the chest screaming and yelling like you just won in the world cup(Chiellini in last years CL match). Its when Your manager doesnt know who to take out cause everyone are throwing themselves in the 3 consecutive overtime games in 10 days ( Croatia at WC), its giving that extra effort replacing lack of quality in certain departments of your game in order to win. Call it hunger, call it passion, call it any name You want. Xhaka and many more of our players dont have it or arent showing it. This is the mentality thats become a part of our club in the last couple of years and it must dissapear if we want to become title challengers again.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
For me hunger is throwing yourself in the post and saving a goal, and then kicking Buffon in the chest screaming and yelling like you just won in the world cup(Chiellini in last years CL match). Its when Your manager doesnt know who to take out cause everyone are throwing themselves in the 3 consecutive overtime games in 10 days ( Croatia at WC)

Is it running the length of the pitch to celebrate a goal with the team? Is it being that elated with it that you grab the ball boy and celebrate with him?

Is it playing almost every game last year, then playing a World Cup, then coming back and putting your hand up again for the first game of the season despite not having a pre-season?

What about being the first guy over to any incident that breaks out on the field, probably the only one you can count on to run in for any of our team mates when things go bad.

Even when some of the senior Swiss player retired this year, they passed the mantle on Xhaka to lead the side because he has what it takes inside, his passion and desire for the game is one thing that can't be questioned.

Seriously, absolutely stupid comment from you. As I said, some criticism towards this guy is completely understandable and hard to defend but other things said on here is just people throwing **** at a target and hoping it sticks. He is probably the most 'passionate' footballer that we have at the club along with Monreal.

Typical modern football though, the majority get led by those who are vocal on social media and like everything else in life, join in as a pack mentality and just keep going.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Some (and I'm amongst those) argued that Wenger was too stubborn to drop him.
That being said, Emery has showed that he isn't afraid of dropping players if they don't work hard enough (i.e. Xhaka, Özil), but has kept on giving Xhaka a starting role.

My question would be why do you think it he does it?

Not just Wenger and Emery, every single manager he's played for since he broke through as a youngster. Every single manager starts him and he's captained every single side he's played for at the age of 25.

Then again, as I've learnt, there are few posters on here who actually seem to know more than those paid to pick the side. Fewtch in particular, that guys a genuine genius.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Xhaka has been part of the 2016 spine (Cech, Mustafi, Xhaka, Giroud) that has given us the two worst years in decades and a historical CL defeat ( 2nd worst knockout stage defeat in history). We’ve done a great job with getting Auba/Laca in to upgrade the top of our spine and the sooner we get rid of and replace the rest with better players the sooner we’ll get back to where this club is supposed to be.

There is so so much wrong with this that I won't even bother.

Özil or we riot... How old are you, 10? :lol::lol:

CanadianGooner1608

Not just Wenger and Emery, every single manager he's played for since he broke through as a youngster. Every single manager starts him and he's captained every single side he's played for at the age of 25.

Then again, as I've learnt, there are few posters on here who actually seem to know more than those paid to pick the side. Fewtch in particular, that guys a genuine genius.

Not saying I agree with you on every single point to be honest. Xhaka has seemed to be a liability very very often. Still as I stated in previous posts, I want the whole team to succeed, him included. If he can improve under Emery, I'll be the first one to cheer.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What am I right about though? I'm not making any big calls here, I'm basically stating logic so won't be beating my chest if I am 'right'.

Guendouzi may go on to start every game this season, grow exponentially and be known as the best midfielder in the league by the end of the season. I don't see him train, I didn't watch him play last season and I don't know what his mentality, drive, attitude, etc are all like.

What I am saying though is that it is difficult enough to predict that from a kid you've been tracking your whole life, let alone a player you've seen play 4 times.

Me pointing out the times I've been wrong is just to show that this process of bigging up new signings and youth players is literally a constant on here. Frimpong, Iwobi, Denilson, Senderos, Eboue, literally the list goes on of players having had their time in the limelight on here. Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Henri Lansbury were going to be the answer to our midfield issues at one point, now look at them.

We all cross our fingers and hope that these young players getting minutes now will develop into better players than those in our first team at the moment, after all, that's a huge sign of growth within a club and justifies the investment we spend in scouting and youth development.

But right now, lets not go overboard and set stupidly high, unrealistic standards for players we have hardly seen. Looking at things objectively, I've noticed as many brilliant things that Guendouzi does as poor things. If he improves on those poor things and continue developing the brilliant things of course he will be some player, but we can't comment on that growth until we see it happening and it doesn't happen in 4 games.

Right now, the biggest influence in our midfield is Xhaka. When he's not on the field we lose shape, and we saw that against Chelsea as well as against Ostersund and CSKA last season. I'm a huge fan of his and understand that others aren't, but lets focus on his strengths and not his weaknesses. If one of these younger players coming through ends up surpassing him, fantastic, that's a good result for the club. Right now though, he is the best option in the squad and one of the best options in the league if played to his strengths.
I had hoped that my comment would come across a bit tongue in cheek especially with the winking face... I don't see anything particularly wrong in what you are saying on the uncertainty of the development of young players. I have high hopes for our 19 year old boy wonder! I am also more willing to give him a shot compared to our older Swiss friend who over several years now has proven he doesn't belong.

moloso

@Cudareli

Playing after a short break is the best indication of him having the most hunger or passion at the club? Plenty of players around the league returned early after going deeper into the tournament.

I don't think anyone has said Xhaka doesn't care but he definitely doesn't give me the impression that he wants it particularly more than anyone else.

It's all well and good noting he's been captain wherever he's played, he hasn't noticeably demonstrated any outstanding leadership abilities here - obviously we can't see behind closed doors but again, a natural leader, and certainly the way you have billed him, can be seen pretty easily.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Fewtch in particular, that guys a genuine genius.
I’ve been called an idiot on here before but “genius” is a first
CheerfulFixedAmazontreeboa-size_restricted.gif

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
There is so so much wrong with this that I won't even bother.

Özil or we riot... How old are you, 10? :lol::lol:
I’m actually 12 fyi. The mod who put that there under my username could be 10 though but I doubt it tbqh

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Bottom line is I have watched the swiss Gareth Barry stink up our midfield for over two seasons now and some of us would like a change, even if it’s temporary. Matteo has some qualities that Granit lack and vice verse but i rather see a player with Matteo’s qualities play next to Lucas as I think it would be more beneficial to the team. That might necessarily not mean that Matteo is the answer but he has impressed me to the point that I think it’s worth giving him a shot imo.

And I’m not sure why you’re so hellbent on victimizing Xhaka when the majority of our fans are screaming for a Torreira-Xhaka pivot atm?

Last edited:

Eduardo_da_Silva

Is it running the length of the pitch to celebrate a goal with the team? Is it being that elated with it that you grab the ball boy and celebrate with him?

Is it playing almost every game last year, then playing a World Cup, then coming back and putting your hand up again for the first game of the season despite not having a pre-season?

What about being the first guy over to any incident that breaks out on the field, probably the only one you can count on to run in for any of our team mates when things go bad.

Even when some of the senior Swiss player retired this year, they passed the mantle on Xhaka to lead the side because he has what it takes inside, his passion and desire for the game is one thing that can't be questioned.

Seriously, absolutely stupid comment from you. As I said, some criticism towards this guy is completely understandable and hard to defend but other things said on here is just people throwing **** at a target and hoping it sticks. He is probably the most 'passionate' footballer that we have at the club along with Monreal.

Typical modern football though, the majority get led by those who are vocal on social media and like everything else in life, join in as a pack mentality and just keep going.

I played football for 16 years, was a coach for two, loved it my entire life, and I watch at least 4 matches per week. I think I can make my own opinion about a player. Even if you brand it stupid.

Xhaka at the moment is one of the worst players in our team. Thats a fact. I liked him at Gladbach and wanted him here. We dont play to his strenghts but his attitude is not top notch. Him being captain in the past means nothinf at the moment as I would rather give the armband to Guendouzi than him.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Bottom line is I have watched the swiss Gareth Barry stink up our midfield for over two seasons now and some of us would like a change, even if it’s temporary. Matteo has some qualities that Granit lack and vice verse but i rather see a player with Matteo’s qualities play next to Lucas as I think it would be more beneficial to the team. That might necessarily not mean that Matteo is the answer but he has impressed me to the point that I think it’s worth giving him a shot imo.

And I’m not sure why you’re so hellbent on victimizing Xhaka when the majority of our fans are screaming for a Torreira-Xhaka pivot atm?
That's a bit uncalled for mate. I don't know what Gareth Barry ever did to you but surely this level of cruelty wasn't needed.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I played football for 16 years, was a coach for two, loved it my entire life, and I watch at least 4 matches per week. I think I can make my own opinion about a player. Even if you brand it stupid.

Xhaka at the moment is one of the worst players in our team. Thats a fact. I liked him at Gladbach and wanted him here. We dont play to his strenghts but his attitude is not top notch. Him being captain in the past means nothinf at the moment as I would rather give the armband to Guendouzi than him.

Just because you say it is a fact doesn't make it so, a fact needs data and you have noone

Yours is a statement at best , and an utterly false one at that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom