• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I liked Monreal coming out and dismissing the bust up runours.
Quite telling actually, they never deny it when there are murmurs.
Yeah, good read about what Monreal said here. Particularly the bit about Özil being very placid by nature, and not going to change. The problem is that people are judging him by their own standards.

Someone like Mr DT who lives his life at boiling point, can’t fathom why Özil isn’t kicking the sh*t out of people when he’s two nil down. When he’s biting the sofa and got his wife in headlock, Özil just keeps on doing what he does best, calmly looking for clever passes that might unlock the game.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ies-bust-up-between-mesut-Özil-and-unai-emery

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Why can't people just leave Özil alone now! Everyone has different personalities, he's just a more quiet timid bloke like Monreal said. I'm completely getting over it. Thats the medias job but why can't they do other players now haha.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah, good read about what Monreal said here. Particularly the bit about Özil being very placid by nature, and not going to change. The problem is that people are judging him by their own standards.

Someone like Mr DT who lives his life at boiling point, can’t fathom why Özil isn’t kicking the sh*t out of people when he’s two nil down. When he’s biting the sofa and got his wife in headlock, Özil just keeps on doing what he does best, calmly looking for clever passes that might unlock the game.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ies-bust-up-between-mesut-Özil-and-unai-emery
"He doesn't know how to take a player by the throat"
And why should he.. we have Lucas T for that.

Zipfeklatscha

Have a look at how all the blonde, tall, German-named players within that squad have nothing bad said against them. When in fact players like Muller have been absolute dogshit during the World Cup.

Yes I did have a look and your fact isn't a fact. Where does this misconception come from that Müller (what a tall, blond player he his) didn't get criticized?
He was one of the most criticized players after the WC, with Kimmich, Khedira. Boateng and Özil. Funny that people who apparently don't read German papers, always try to construct an argument that only players with a migrant background got criticized.

Germany failed to advance from the Group Stage of a World Cup for the first time in their history, do you really believe the press and fans wouldn't blame everybody and everything?

There is an example of a player who could escape criticism while being the main culprit, but it isn't Müller. Claiming that only shows that you don't follow German press, sorry.
Kroos should "anchor" the midfield and failed horrible. Not only did he not cover spaces which appear when the right back or left back fill the position on the wing to provide depth, he misplaced easy passes which gave the opponents the possibility to run at the defence with a superior numbers countless times. It's hilarious to see fans blame Boateng for a bad World Cup after he had to defend against 2 or 3 players on his own at times.

It's the same about the attack, it's not surprising that all of them didn't look dangerous (yes all of them, Reus did **** all) if they always got the ball played into their back/feet, when they played against at least 8 man sitting deep.
All those issues are related to the non existing midfield, which simply needs to move the ball around until space opens and give the attack the possibility to break the defence. Germany only played good in the 20 or so minutes Rudy played, which basically proved that the midfield is the reason (and not everybody except Turbo Toni) and yet Löw switched back to the 2 man midfield consisting of Khedira and Kroos in the match against South Korea when it clearly didn't work the first time against Mexico.

But that's another topic.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Funny that people who apparently don't read German papers, always try to construct an argument that only players with a migrant background got criticized.

I am German and basically no one went after Kroos or Mueller in the press, at least not in the way they went after Özil, e.g. And that overshadowed any criticism of other players anyway.

I do honestly think that sublayers of racism did play a part not neccessarilly in who, but how they got critizied.

I do specifically remember an absolutely shameful radio show that posited Kroos as the straight arrow, dutiful, all German against the lazy, spoiled, luxurious migrant kid Özil - shamefully close to WW2 propaganda stereotypes and very racist indeed. Btw, by now I suspect Kroos does at least enjoy those labels, or he wouldn't have gone out and criticized the next migrant kid as lazy and stupid (Sané).

Apart from Kroos I don't want to get at players, because I actually think there's not too much or any problem in the team itself regarding racism. I think the press projected the big, socio political topic of recent times - rise of racism, divided society, etc. - onto the DFB team. There was talks about suspected groups built around certain players, dividing the team by migrant and non-migrant heritage, and I think that's BS. But saying the German press' reporting during and after the WC was in fact not at least slightly racially charged is turning a blind eye.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I am German and basically no one went after Kroos or Mueller in the press, at least not in the way they went after Özil, e.g. And that overshadowed any criticism of other players anyway.

I do honestly think that sublayers of racism did play a part not neccessarilly in who, but how they got critizied.

I do specifically remember an absolutely shameful radio show that posited Kroos as the straight arrow, dutiful, all German against the lazy, spoiled, luxurious migrant kid Özil - shamefully close to WW2 propaganda stereotypes and very racist indeed. Btw, by now I suspect Kroos does at least enjoy those labels, or he wouldn't have gone out and criticized the next migrant kid as lazy and stupid (Sané).

Apart from Kroos I don't want to get at players, because I actually think there's not too much or any problem in the team itself regarding racism. I think the press projected the big, socio political topic of recent times - rise of racism, divided society, etc. - onto the DFB team. There was talks about suspected groups built around certain players, dividing the team by migrant and non-migrant heritage, and I think that's BS. But saying the German press' reporting during and after the WC was in fact not at least slightly racially charged is turning a blind eye.
perhaps more people would understand the sub-text to all the Özil bashing if it was described as political rather than racist? more about being anti all immigrantion rather than really caring about the individual immigrant's origins?

Toby

perhaps more people would understand the sub-text to all the Özil bashing if it was described as political rather than racist? more about being anti all immigrantion rather than really caring about the individual immigrant's origins?

Hm. Isnt that still racist/xenophobic? The Özil thing was political from the beginning with the Erdogan and Turkey Germany relations and that was the initial ruckus. But it got terribly charged with xenophobia by the media for example, which probably would not have happened if Gomez had posed with the spanish king. It would still have been a politicum but racism would probably not have featured. It was easy to target Özil in that regard and that's what happened. The public darlings got away and those always targeted got bashed with the stick closest in reach: Immigrant identity and xenophobia.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Honigstein has mentioned before Özil & Kroos dont like each other.

I have not followed Özil too much with the national team but if he behaves in a similar manner as with us can see that rubbing teammates the wrong way.

Easy opportunity to go in at the mo.

Reactions: A_G

Toby

Honigstein has mentioned before Özil & Kroos dont like each other.

I have not followed Özil too much with the national team but if he behaves in a similar manner as with us can see that rubbing teammates the wrong way.

Easy opportunity to go in at the mo.

Decent assessment by Honigstein there. Kroos, and Mertesacker btw, have completely missed the mark.

Özil is/was actually very well liked in the national team as far as I know.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I did notice that the first players out the gate to wish all the best to Özil on his retirement publicly were Rudiger and Boateng.

I’ve found it kinda hilariously misguided how all these white bread German players have been coming out since saying there’s no racism in the German team, showing zero self awareness at all.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I did notice that the first players out the gate to wish all the best Özil on his retirement publicly were Rudiger and Boateng.

I’ve found it kinda hilariously misguided how all these white bread German players have been coming out since saying there’s no racism in the German team, showing zero self awareness at all.
Had a mate here in South Africa who went for trials at several smaller clubs in Germany (i'd be lying if I named them). He's a black lad and I remember him saying that Germany and Russia were by far the worst in terms of racism he experienced and was aware of. He went to Aus, Russia, Holland, Germany and he's from here in South Africa (Where racism thrives)

Toby

I'm not sure they have 'missed the mark' naively either... Very deliberately in my opinion. Sad, particularly in Per's case.

Honigstein is right that they missed the mark but not sure why, and I agree with you it wasn't naivety but deliberately done. That's why it seems like these guys we're briefed on what to say.

What's infuriating is the implication that Kroos is somehow more trustworthy than Özil in the public media.

It is indeed interesting that so far only Podolski as a player of migrant heritage has come out to dispute these claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom