• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
So far it’s a good start but if we use the same system of expecting miracle work from our manager then we shouldn’t aspire higher than what we have been achieving for the last decade.

Yep. It's kind of what my post was first aiming at. Wenger is gone for about half a year, Emery has been here for that time and we're already back to seeing the exact same critique. That goes a long way to show that other guys have the same problems Wenger has had and that some fans have very short tempers and memory. It also suggests Wenger, for all his obvious shortcomings in recent years, wasn't as **** as made out by some, and while a managerial change was needed, it's still a heavy workload for any new guy.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Why do people think Aubameyang will be more involved in general play if he starts at CF? Thought his performances in the first two PL games of the season and the EL disprove that.

The position debate with him is a red herring, notice how nobody mentioned LW/CF after his great performance against Leicester.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Why do people think Aubameyang will be more involved in general play if he starts at CF? Thought his performances in the first two PL games of the season and the EL disprove that.

The position debate with him is a red herring, notice how nobody mentioned LW/CF after his great performance against Leicester.

It's more about where he actually operates on the pitch than what position he is nominally fielded as on the teamsheet.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression he stays out wide more often and is farther away from Lacazette in recent games and that's isolating him. He should tuck in more and play higher up the pitch again, almost on the shoulder of the opposition defence.

Emery is seemingly adjusting his attacking quartet to a more conservative possession based game with Özil centrally, Laca deeper almost like a false 9 and the wingers (Auba and Iwobi) instructed to play a more classic inside winger game in which they have to drive at defences. That doesn't really suit Auba. He still gets into scoring positions but he should be much more deadly down that left channel ghosting in with pace or sitting right at the opposition line, playing off of Laca and being found by Özil.

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It's more about where he actually operates on the pitch than what position he is nominally fielded as on the teamsheet.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression he stays out wide more often and is farther away from Lacazette in recent games and that's isolating him. He should tuck in more and play higher up the pitch again, almost on the shoulder of the opposition defence.

Emery is seemingly adjusting his attacking quartet to a more conservative possession based game with Özil centrally, Laca deeper almost like a false 9 and the wingers (Auba and Iwobi) instructed to play a more classic inside winger game in which they have to drive at defences. That doesn't really suit Auba. He still gets into scoring positions but he should be much more deadly down that left channel ghosting in with pace or sitting right at the opposition line, playing off of Laca and being found by Özil.
I liked the approach against Liverpool, there was clearly a plan to try and target the RB by releasing Auba down that side. The pass map bears that out:
DrKmLoEWkAQ3sS2.jpg

He came close but wasn't able to spring the offside trap successfully, if he's able to get it right he could score loads from that simple movement.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I liked the approach against Liverpool, there was clearly a plan to try and target the RB by releasing Auba down that side. The pass map bears that out:
DrKmLoEWkAQ3sS2.jpg

He came close but wasn't able to spring the offside trap successfully, if he's able to get it right he could score loads from that simple movement.
Very Herny-esque in putting Auba out on the left and using him as an "outlet" in the counter-attack.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Something needs to be done. We have two 50m strikers... one has 5 goals in 12 central & the other 7 in 12 mainly from outwide.

A positive from dropping points is these issues are more in view rather than swept under the rug.

Position wise feel there is a huge difference between Thierry drifting out wide & Aubameyang starting wide. Thierry was the extra man dragging his markers out of position & doubling (even tripling up) on the poor fullback.

Giroud12

There is so much to like with this team so far this season, however no matter how good we play, I can't shake the feeling that having our most expensive signing, and one of the world's best strikers, out wide just feels wrong.

Him and Laca have both been great this season but its a bit too inconsistent. One day they are linking up great (Cardiff and Fulham) another they are both unconvincing (Wolves) another time one is poor and the other are coming from the bench and scoring twice (Leicester). Even though it is going good for both of them so far, I would much rather see them both perform consistently great together like Henry and Bergkamp. If we want to achieve top 4 and the EL I think we need them both firing at the same time more often.

I would like to see us try out 4-4-2 with Laca a bit deeper. We don't really have the wide players to play the way we do now anyway, especially with Welbeck out and Mkhi out of form. Its too much hit and miss now, with vastly different attacking performances the last 4 games, and if we play like we did on Sunday the next three games we'll probably lose all of them.

I would like Emery to try something new against Bournemouth. Maybe this could work:

---------------Auba------
--------Laca-------------
Iwobi - Xhaka - Ramsey/Özil
--------Torreira----------

Or just a flat four with Iwobi-Torreira-Özil-Ramsey.

Alternatively, a diamond with Torreira, Iwobi and Ramsey or Mkhi and Özil behind Auba and Laca. I really hope Emery is considering something new because I fear we're wasting Auba's talent when he's playing out wide. If anything, we should try Laca on the wing and Auba up top.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
DrKmLoEWkAQ3sS2.jpg

Got it wrong on three occasions I think. We were through though had he timed it.

Reactions: A_G

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I agree we're wasting a little bit here but in my opinion the manager needs to stick it out till at least January.
Have a feeling we may see a formation change in the new year. Possibly closer to the end of the season though.

Auba only plays on the left when we don't have the ball. We move to a 4222 as soon as we get possession. The problem is that Emery is putting square pegs I round holes. Iwobi needs to play on the left or centre or not at all. Özil plays in the 10 or not at all and Auba plays up front or not at all.

We only have three players comfortable on the right. Miki, Ramsey and AMN. Miki is hit and miss, Ramsey doesn't want to play there and AMN isn't getting a look in.

Emery is also obsessed with playing a passer next to Torreira. Xhaka and Guendouzi are to error prone and don't offer enough defensively. Guendouzi is possitionally poor and can get rinsed in a 1v1.

Emery needs to trust in Torreira. He is good enough to control a game at the base of the midfield. He needs runners and dribbler next to him who can recover. Personally I'd like to see a diamond.

---------------Auba----------Laca

------------------------Özil

---------Iwobi---------------------AMN

----------------------Torreira
That does look interesting tbh, would very much like to see that.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

I guess many people haven't really seen him before as much for St.Etienne or BvB. He is actually what Walcott was but much better for his physique and world class movement in the final third. We end up expecting more because of his numbers and reputation but we forget that BuLi has not been as strong in his time as it once was while the physical play in England is on a different lvel. He is not a player who is going to get involved in the build up and add anything to the general play in anyway.

But yeah, I think he should be doing more and looking to improve his game in a few aspects. He is a great athlete so he should be working harder without the ball in defensive and attacking phases but also work on delivery of the final ball and look for opportunities for that other than just finishing. He should play more aggressive as well and make the most of his physique and be more assertive in duels.

ksarp

ah the same excuse was applied for Arshavin.... some people doesn't like a goalscorer.

I love goal scorers..as long as it’s not the only thing in their repertoire . You ‘ll score about 1.9 goals in a full match if you’re in form, so the question is what else can you bring to the table , especially in today’s modern game?

Other than scoring, lately Aubameyang has been a LIABILITY on the defensive front . He has zero desire to press or track back. On the contrary, “Turn Over Sanchez” tracked back, often pressed , but promptly turned the Val over .

I hope I am wrong, but the symptoms I saw with Arshavin and Sanchez are taking shape in Aubameyang.

ksarp

But yeah, I think he should be doing more and looking to improve his game in a few aspects. He is a great athlete so he should be working harder without the ball in defensive and attacking phases but also work on delivery of the final ball and look for opportunities for that other than just finishing. He should play more aggressive as well and make the most of his physique and be more assertive in duels.

EXACTLY!!!

FIrst thing I noticed about him, the intensity isn’t there. He has work to do.

He has been one of the best striker in Europe for many years now. It is not far fetched to think that striker position is where he should play. Robin Van Persie once went through 7 games without scoring but then he started to score a lot of goals.

Dropping the idea of playing Aubameyang as a striker because of two games against City and Chelsea is stupid and I don't think that is what Emery is doing. It just worked out that we were winning games with Auba on the wing and Lacazette on top but this hasn't been all that good for us in terms of attacking balance and with Welbeck injured I can see Emery trying to rotate more between Lacazette and Aubameyang now. Hopefully a better balance will be found because this Aubameyang on the wing hasn't give us all that good balance attacking wise imo.

ksarp

He has been one of the best striker in Europe for many years now. It is not far fetched to think that striker position is where he should play. Robin Van Persie once went through 7 games without scoring but then he started to score a lot of goals.

Dropping the idea of playing Aubameyang as a striker because of two games against City and Chelsea is stupid and I don't think that is what Emery is doing. It just worked out that we were winning games with Auba on the wing and Lacazette on top but this hasn't been all that good for us in terms of attacking balance and with Welbeck injured I can see Emery trying to rotate more between Lacazette and Aubameyang now. Hopefully a better balance will be found because this Aubameyang on the wing hasn't give us all that good balance attacking wise imo.

I do recall RVP holding to bring wings and mids into the fray. It’s pretty obvious Aubameyang is no 9.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Bellerin and PEA are our only two lightning quick players. One plays on the right and the other on the left. I believe this is more tactical then people think.

With 2 defensive minded midfielders in the team, we don't need tracking from PEA, just pressing. I would like to see him further up the field however and for our midfielders to look for the quick ball to him more often. It was evident vs Liverpool that he was our out ball.

He's one of the top scorers in the league. There are far bigger issues!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Bellerin and PEA are our only two lightning quick players. One plays on the right and the other on the left. I believe this is more tactical then people think.

With 2 defensive minded midfielders in the team, we don't need tracking from PEA, just pressing. I would like to see him further up the field however and for our midfielders to look for the quick ball to him more often. It was evident vs Liverpool that he was our out ball.

He's one of the top scorers in the league. There are far bigger issues!
As usual people focusing on silly things here. We need to stop conceding silly goals and we are up there in the top 4.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Didn't Van Persie start as a winger in Holland?

Aubameyang is a central striker. You play him out on the wing and he isn't as effective... and then you blame him for not being as effective. He has been one of the top goalscorers in Europe for several years. He may be a leetle bit too old a dog to learn new tricks.

We play him and Laca and with Welbz out we have few serious attacking options on the bench to win a tight game. This is a conundrum which Emery either solves or might have to think of shifting one of them out. Unless they are happy to share playing time when they're not on the pitch together which they seem to have been so far. But Auba didn't look happy when he came off in the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom