• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Sooner or later Emery will have to make that difficult decision of choosing between Auba and Laca. Playing Auba out wide is not going to work forever.
Or drop Özil and play both upfront, something similar to what he did at Fulham with Danny and Laca

Wryer

Frustrating that the Laca-Auba debate is up again, but to be honest the purple patch was kind of masking the problem somewhat. Auba still looks a tad awkward in our buildup, more so when he is playing wide. The goals covered it up fairly well.

I think unfortunately one of Auba, Laca and Özil will have to be rotated depending on the opposition. For the good of the team balance it looks to be the best option.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
It's a solution but how do you drop a guy who is being paid £350k a week?
It's tough. But Emery's shown on occasions that he isn't afraid to do it. Besides we know that he is a manager who likes to set up his teams based on his opposition's strengths and weaknesses. So even if he drops him to the bench, it's not like he's going to stay there until he proves himself or something. Until Emery gets to build his squad to his liking, the players will have to get used to the fact that there is gonna be chopping and changing in every other game. I think (or perhaps hope) that Özil has been in professional football long enough to embrace it.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I love goal scorers..as long as it’s not the only thing in their repertoire . You ‘ll score about 1.9 goals in a full match if you’re in form, so the question is what else can you bring to the table , especially in today’s modern game?

Other than scoring, lately Aubameyang has been a LIABILITY on the defensive front . He has zero desire to press or track back. On the contrary, “Turn Over Sanchez” tracked back, often pressed , but promptly turned the Val over .

I hope I am wrong, but the symptoms I saw with Arshavin and Sanchez are taking shape in Aubameyang.

this question only came up in Arsenal.
I don't see any critics complaining how Cristiano Ronaldo is liability cause he doesn't track back or Arjen Robben or Neymar or Mbappe. Heck does Hazard even help much in defense?

Arshavin defensive quality was questioned while people failed to see how **** was Clichy behind him, and Clichy's job was to defend.
You were all blinded by pundits shouting about defensive aspect of Arshavin which was playing as AMC before coming to Arsenal and he is SHORTER than most player heck I think he is shorter than most on this forum....Logic failed that time and you guys want to repeat that era?
For years the pundits made sure our attack was blunt cause Arsenal "fans" were fooled to focus on the "defensive" aspect of our OFFENSIVE players.

PS :
Robert Pires didn't bring much in defensive aspect, BUT we had a defender that can DEFEND. So nobody can say Pires was a liability.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't see any critics complaining how Cristiano Ronaldo is liability cause he doesn't track back or Arjen Robben or Neymar or Mbappe. Heck does Hazard even help much in defense?

Arshavin defensive quality was questioned while people failed to see how **** was Clichy behind him, and Clichy's job was to defend.
You were all blinded by pundits shouting about defensive aspect of Arshavin which was playing as AMC before coming to Arsenal and he is SHORTER than most player heck I think he is shorter than most on this forum....Logic failed that time and you guys want to repeat that era?
For years the pundits made sure our attack was blunt cause Arsenal "fans" were fooled to focus on the "defensive" aspect of our OFFENSIVE players.

PS :
Robert Pires didn't bring much in defensive aspect, BUT we had a defender that can DEFEND. So nobody can say Pires was a liability.

Aubameyang is nowhere close to the level of the players you have mentioned, nowhere close to being such an attacking threat that we can get away with having a less than ideal defense. If you think he is then you are vastly overestimating Aubameyang. We are no longer in the Invincibles era, without the Pires and Henry and Vieira we need to learn how to grind out results.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Aubameyang is nowhere close to the level of the players you have mentioned,
So he is worse than Arshavin ?
nowhere close to being such an attacking threat that we can get away with having a less than ideal defense. If you think he is then you are vastly overestimating Aubameyang. We are no longer in the Invincibles era, without the Pires and Henry and Vieira we need to learn how to grind out results.
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/13/Show/England-Arsenal
I don't know about how great he is compared to the rest of the world but the stats say he is our top scorer.
Converting our top scorer into a defensive minded player by criticism is a move only found in Arsenal.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You ‘ll score about 1.9 goals in a full match if you’re in form, so the question is what else can you bring to the table

That's a funny statement. 1.9 goals per game and you'd ask what else can you bring to the table...

If I had a guy that scores 1 to 1.9 goals per match in a game that's mostly won by 1 or 2 goal margins...I'd ask everyone else to defend but that guy.

You also kinda make it sound like scoring is just about waiting in the box til you get the ball, but there's so much more to it in terms of movement, so these guys already bring more than goals to the table. Sure, nowadays you wan't your forwards to work within the press also, but still, saying a 1.9 goals/match striker should offer more is a bit ridiculous, even if you talk about peak form, cause with such a guy how far would his worst form drop...Messi is at 0.8 in his career in La Liga. His all time highest over a season is 1.4. To have a 1.9 goal/match ratio you'd have to score insanely or the numbers would cover only a very short stretch of time, like maybe 5 games...and I don't think anyone would label Messi out of form in his best scoring season when his goal/match ratio dropped to 1.1 for a stretch of games. Anyone with a 1.0 goal/game is already rather crazy. To keep up the form of a 1.9 goals/game ratio you'd have to hit 2 goals/game all the time. In his best goal/game ratio season in 12/13 with 46 goals/32 games, Messi's longest streak was 6 with 6 straight braces which takes him to a 2.0 goal/match ratio for exactly 6 matches. In the game after that run he didn't score and that already takes him to 1.7 goal/game ratio. So you'd say a Messi with 12 goals in 7 matches and a goal/game ratio of 1.7 is out of form compared to your 1.9 goals a game...In his highest scoring season Messi at one, and only one point, he ended up with a goal/game ratio of 1.9 with 19 goals in 10 games, which he couldn't keep up before or after. So either your perpetrated goal/game ratio of in form strikers is completely bonkers or your perception of how long someone is in form is. Cause apart from Messi no one managed a longer streak than 10 games, but I think you can clearly be longer in form than 10 games with lower goal/game ratios...I mean anyone would call a striker who scores 1 goal per match for a stretch of 10 games in form, basically halfing your 1.9 in form tally, so going by your numbers the guy would be severely out of form, which is crazy.

Your numbers don't make any sense and so your reasoning doesn't really and seriously question your football knowledge....

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He has been one of the best striker in Europe for many years now.
You literally called him the Gabonese Walcott, now he's one of the best strikers in Europe?
Robin Van Persie once went through 7 games without scoring but then he started to score a lot of goals.
Aubameyang isn't close to RVP as a player.
Dropping the idea of playing Aubameyang as a striker because of two games against City and Chelsea is stupid and I don't think that is what Emery is doing.
Except that's exactly what happened, so what you think doesn't actually resemble reality.
It just worked out that we were winning games with Auba on the wing and Lacazette on top
Strong coincidence that one or both of them contributed to the West Ham, Cardiff, Everton, Watford, Fulham and Leicester wins. Nothing to do with having your best players on the pitch.
but this hasn't been all that good for us in terms of attacking balance and with Welbeck injured I can see Emery trying to rotate more between Lacazette and Aubameyang now. Hopefully a better balance will be found because this Aubameyang on the wing hasn't give us all that good balance attacking wise imo.
Balance is a nice buzzword that's popped up on here recently, but what does it actually mean? You're basically advocating for 3 non goal threats to play behind Aubameyang in the interest of this mythical balance, which hasn't improved performances in the Europa League. Besides, this whole debate has been about whether Aubameyang's lack of involvement in the game is due to him playing on the wing. The fact is that he's similarly uninvolved when he plays up front because that's just how he is.

You literally called him the Gabonese Walcott, now he's one of the best strikers in Europe?

Except that's exactly what happened, so what you think doesn't actually resemble reality.

Strong coincidence that one or both of them contributed to the West Ham, Cardiff, Everton, Watford, Fulham and Leicester wins. Nothing to do with having your best players on the pitch.

Balance is a nice buzzword that's popped up on here recently, but what does it actually mean? You're basically advocating for 3 non goal threats to play behind Aubameyang in the interest of this mythical balance, which hasn't improved performances in the Europa League. Besides, this whole debate has been about whether Aubameyang's lack of involvement in the game is due to him playing on the wing. The fact is that he's similarly uninvolved when he plays up front because that's just how he is.

He is our best striker by some distance. A better balance to our attack will be found if given time with Auba up top.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He is our best striker by some distance. A better balance to our attack will be found if given time with Auba up top.

Lacazette > Aubameyang. Lacazette not scoring goals still contributes far more to the team than Aubameyang. There are questions as to whether Aubameyang suits Emery's playstyle since we are no longer perpetually trying to thread the perfect throughball down the middle and are using our flanks a lot more under Emery.

WhiteArse

What's this talk on the defensive aspect for Auba?

He ain't hired to do this ****. I remember he did tracked back on one occasion and got the ball on the counter. He wasn't even passed the half line and left with only two options - dribble pass 3 players or pass the ball to Xhaka. By the time he made his decision to play 1-2 with Xhaka, the opposition were already in defensive formation. Ball was eventually lost after Xhaka opt to pass to Laca who had no options but to hold the ball.

We need more people moving forward quickly. We aren't a Mourinho squad who needs 10 players in the box.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Wow, Hydro absolutely owned by AG.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Lacazette > Aubameyang.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Lacazette > Aubameyang. Lacazette not scoring goals still contributes far more to the team than Aubameyang. There are questions as to whether Aubameyang suits Emery's playstyle since we are no longer perpetually trying to thread the perfect throughball down the middle and are using our flanks a lot more under Emery.

Lacazette is better at some things but overall Auba is our star striker and we need to start utilize him before we completely break his confidence. This guy is a goal scoring machine and he is a lot better than Lacazette at attacking the 6 yard box. Lacazette doesn't even know what that means he is so bad at it.

We are not scoring enough goals and we are not creating enough chances but yet we have two very good finishers. It says to me that the balance in the attack is not right. More of a creator on the left wing and more of a goal scorer up front is what we need imo.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We are not scoring enough goals .
What absolute rubbish. We're the third highest scorers in the league.
We're conceding too much. The problem isn't scoring.
City - 36 goals & 5 against
Chelsea - 27 Goals & 8 against
Arsenal - 26 Goals & 15 against
Liverpool - 23 Goals & 5 against

You talk so much bollocks on this forum it is unreal. We're scoring more than all but two teams in the league and conceding more than double what our main rivals are. Do you base anything you say on fact or are you just sitting there winging it everyday hoping nobody will catch on?

Last edited:

ksarp

That's a funny statement. 1.9 goals per game and you'd ask what else can you bring to the table...

keyword here being "in form"

If I had a guy that scores 1 to 1.9 goals per match in a game that's mostly won by 1 or 2 goal margins...I'd ask everyone else to defend but that guy.

Sure why not, because everything else that led to him getting the ball to score can be ignored right? Let everyone defend him and forget about the 9 other players on his team....and I am the one with questionable soccer intelligence LOL

Your numbers don't make any sense and so your reasoning doesn't really and seriously question your football knowledge....

You misunderstood completely what I was alluding to. Let me rephrase...I can live with an in form striker scoring and doing nothing else, but to not score and bring nothing else in to the table warrants some self reflection on the bench.

ksarp

So we're comparing PEA to CR7, Neymar, Robben and Mbappe? WPOY, once in a generation talent, hottest teenager on the block in the World of soccer and you're talking about a cat who's only claim to fame is in the Bundesliga? Come on man.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
keyword here being "in form"

No in form striker bar Messi for one single stretch of 10 games in his best goalscoring season ever scores 1.9 goals/game consistenly, which is the ****ing key word to form. Using the example of Messi I made it clear that to come to such a number you either have to base your reasoning on a ridiculously small sample of subsequent games and/or on a ridicously high number of goals scored.

To make it clear: Luka Jovic right now has an overall goal/game ratio of 1.0 with 9 goals in 9 games in the Bundesliga. That's well below your in form ratio of 1.9 but still no on in their right mind would call the guy out of form. The only way to make your in form ratio work is to only look at 3 games, the ones against Dusseldorf, Hannover and Hoffenheim, in which he scored 7 goals, which takes him to a goal/game ratio of 2.3. But 3 games is a ridicously small sample size to judge form, I think. To judge form we should start at at least 3 to 5 and go to about 10 games. A guy that scores 4 goals in 2 games isn't in form, but rather lucky, a guy that scores 4 in 4 is much more in form, but has a smaller goal/game ratio. In the end I think goal/game ratio is a flawed means of measurement of form anyway.

Aguero has scored 8 goals in 12 league games this season with a pretty good spread over these games and the longest stretch of not scoring being 3 games - in my book that makes him an in form striker. But going with a sample size as small as 3 games could put him at either a 0.0 or a 1.0 goal/game ratio. Taking a much more reasonable sample size of 6 and 6, he's at 0.6, almost 0.7, goals/game overall, which is pretty good for 12 games as it takes him to 8/12 goals but still leaves him 1.3(1.2) off of your postulated in form ratio of 1.9. The onyl way he gets above that 1.9 is if I only take the one game against Huddersfiled in which he scored a hattrick. If I even add the last or next game, in which he both didn't score, he's already down to 1.5. So even over a 2 games 3 goals period, by your approach, that makes him look out of form. And it makes him look like the biggest plodder out there with a current 0.6 ratio in contrast to your postulated 1.9, even if he still scored 8 goals in 12 matches yet.

And my examples should tell you a lot about how goal/game ratio is probably not the best thing to determine form of a striker as it hinges so much on sample size and sample selection.

1.9 is a ridiculous number and I dont know where you got it from and it makes everything else you say kind of invalid, cause it gives off the vibe you didn't think too much about what you were putting out there.

Sure why not, because everything else that led to him getting the ball to score can be ignored right? Let everyone defend him and forget about the 9 other players on his team....and I am the one with questionable soccer intelligence LOL

To quote myself here:

"You also kinda make it sound like scoring is just about waiting in the box til you get the ball, but there's so much more to it in terms of movement, so these guys already bring more than goals to the table."

If you come at me, ****ing read, boyo.

You make scoring sound easy, put out stupid numbers in terms of goals/game ratio and then combine it to something where someone who scores an almost inhuman amount of 1.9 goals per game should still work his arse off, when 99.9% of teams on planet Earth wish they had a guy who could consistently put out such a number if they only freed him of defensive work. Like I said: No one bar Messi in 12/13 managed to get to a 1.9 goal/game ratio over the span of 10 games - or a 2.0 ratio over the span of 6 games. And he didn't do any defensive work, and they were happy to not have him do it 'cause they knew he'd score insanely at that time. A 1.9, slightly less or slightly higher, if someone does that over even just 5 games, you let him do whatever the **** he does to get to that ratio cause his 9.5 goals in those 5 games will probably have you win those games.

You misunderstood completely what I was alluding to. Let me rephrase...I can live with an in form striker scoring and doing nothing else, but to not score and bring nothing else in to the table warrants some self reflection on the bench.

I didn't misunderstand you, I said you're measurement of an in form striker scoring 1.9 goals per game is way, way off - and cause that was what your whole argumentation was build upon I concluded your argumentation didn't hold. And regarding your 1.9 ratio being off, I proved that by providing numbers and doing the math on the one, or one of the two, best and most prolific goalscorers of today - Lionel Messi - and I even used his best goalscoring season ever. And in this post I put forth another two examples of why it was way off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom