• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hector Bellerin: The B's Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I can agree with the mentality argument to an extent. However I still believe some players are goal scorers and some just aren’t. For example compare Ronaldinho to R9. Both insanely talented yet nobody ever expected Ronaldinho to use his talent to become an elite goal scorers. It’s the Messi/Ronaldo effect that is causing everyone to expect super talented offensive widemen to put up silly numbers.

Hazard has pretty much been a one man attack, under defensive managers for the last five years or something. There’s a stats bomb analysis of him that explains how his combination of deep progressions (bringing the ball out from midfield to attack) and key passes are virtually unmatched in football. Statistically speaking he’s basically playing Xhaka and Özil’s role for Chelsea at the same time. Like I said: one man attack.

Rather than try to get the most out of his ability most of his managers hve instead used him as a cheat code. Playing un-progressive but defensively solid midfields knowing that Hazard will pick up the slack in the final third. Sarri is the first Chelsea manager to insist he may actually keep him away from the deep progressions and focus on his final third play. We shall see.

Also the Sterling comparisons are unfair because City could have about half of the top ten players in the league. And I’m a Sterling fanboy too. As for Neymar his best goal scoring season was when he was basically playing as a glorified Walcott during that treble winning season. The more removed you are from the build up the better your numbers can be.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I can agree with the mentality argument to an extent. However I still believe some players are goal scorers and some just aren’t. For example compare Ronaldinho to R9. Both insanely talented yet nobody ever expected Ronaldinho to use his talent to become an elite goal scorers. It’s the Messi/Ronaldo effect.

Hazard has pretty much been a one man attack, under defensive managers for the last five years or something. There’s a stats bomb analysis of him that explains how his combination of deep progressions (bringing the ball out from midfield to attack) and key passes are virtually unmatched in football. Statistically speaking he’s basically playing Xhaka and Özil’s role for Chelsea at the same time. Like I said: one man attack.

Rather than try to get the most out of his ability most of his managers hve instead used him as a cheat code. Playing un-progressive but defensively solid midfields knowing that Hazard will pick up the slack in the final third. Sarri is the first Chelsea manager to insist he may actually keep him away from the deep progressions and focus on his final third play. We shall see.

Also the Sterling comparisons are unfair because City could have about half of the top ten players in the league. And I’m a Sterling fanboy too. As for Neymar his best goal scoring season was when he was basically playing as a glorified Walcott during that treble winning season. The more removed you are from the build up the better your numbers can be.
Top post, Trill.

Bellerin is our weapon going forward this season. Wolves did well stopping him but that is where we need the rest of the team step up and explode other spaces on the field!

Vantastico

Bellerín can be a great contributor to our side with his outstanding pace and he's always keeping the width of the pitch. If he could just make the occasional one-two & diagonal cutback/cross a regular part of his performances, he could be a potent offensive threat on right side of attack every game for us.

Having a lefty or at least a natural winger in front of him may help him create space in that regard, because he's got the sprinting ability to get in behind opposing defensive lines.

At the same time, he can't cross above the waist, keep his dribble or passing under control when he is running fast, and I dislike his unprofessional attitude at times. (I.e. that smirk after his O.G. vs. Leicester... Yuckgh).

He seems to lack either self-confidence and/or the right mentality to get the end-results, which may have something to do with being held to Arsenal at such a young age, and never having to compete for his position once he got in the senior squad.

Basically, Héctor is an immature kid, a mediocre football player and an incredibly gifted athlete. In other words: the embodiment of a late-stage Arsenal-under-Wenger product.

Meaning that he puts himself in positions to create good opportunities from time to time, but we'll just have to live with his inconsistent outputs as fans just like we did with Walcott (although at least Bellerín doesn't get injured from running fast, so there's that).

In all seriousness... he can be terribly frustrating and I think we can do better talent-wise. But he's also the blueprint to our academy players and there's some Arsenal sentiment in that he hasn't left us when the hype for him was big enough to warrant it. Please, keep runnin' and gunning Héctor.

ksarp

Perhaps he should be moved from the 2 to the 7...His defensive frailties would be encountered further up the pitch instead and his primary responsibility would be tormenting the opposing 3.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Perhaps he should be moved from the 2 to the 7...His defensive frailties would be encountered further up the pitch instead and his primary responsibility would be tormenting the opposing 3.
He’s just not offensively talented at all, it says a lot when a player is moved back to RB at youth level.

What I would like/hope for Hector is being a defensively solid RB who’s a decent threat in the final third. He’s never going to be a Marcelo or even a Monreal in those attacking situations.

He’s just not offensively talented at all, it says a lot when a player is moved back to RB at youth level.

What I would like/hope for Hector is being a defensively solid RB who’s a decent threat in the final third. He’s never going to be a Marcelo or even a Monreal in those attacking situations.

Monreal has 9 assists in PL since 14/15 season. Bellerin has 17 assists in PL since 14/15. Bellerin has 6 goals in same time while Monreal has also 6 goals but 5 of them came last season.

Bellerin is of course offensively talented, he is playing football at elite level for Arsenal and he is assisting and scoring goals at decent rate as a full back. I agree he shouldn't be winger, he doesn't have good dribbling and technique for that position but he can become a very good attacking full back.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Monreal has 9 assists in PL since 14/15 season. Bellerin has 17 assists in PL since 14/15. Bellerin has 6 goals in same time while Monreal has also 6 goals but 5 of them came last season.

Bellerin is of course offensively talented, he is playing football at elite level for Arsenal and he is assisting and scoring goals at decent rate as a full back. I agree he shouldn't be winger, he doesn't have good dribbling and technique for that position but he can become a very good attacking full back.
Being 'offensively talented' and being productive are not mutually exclusive. I did not try to discredit his production or anything. The post wasn't even criticising Bellerin, he's just never going to be the type of fullback who could move up to midfield. In fact reading my post back, I'm not sure I even said anything particularly negative regarding him.

Like you agree in your own post, he doesn't have good dribbling and technique which is definitely part of the whole 'offensively talented' package, and that's before we get into the mental attributes where Monreal dominates imo. If you had to pick one to play in midfield you would definitely pick Nacho.

If Nacho had Bellerin's pace...

Last edited:

Being 'offensively talented' and being productive are not mutually exclusive. I did not try to discredit his production or anything. The post wasn't even criticising Bellerin, he's just never going to be the type of fullback who could move up to midfield. In fact reading my post back, I'm not sure I even said anything particularly negative regarding him.

Like you agree in your own post, he doesn't have good dribbling and technique which is definitely part of the whole 'offensively talented' package, and that's before we get into the mental attributes where Monreal dominates imo. If you had to pick one to play in midfield you would definitely pick Nacho.

If Nacho had Bellerin's pace...

For me to be productive you got to have talent offensively. It holds hand in hand.

Bellerin is fine where he is as attacking minded fullback, he is improving and under Emery I think there is a lot more to come!

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Bellerin is fine where he is as attacking minded fullback, he is improving and under Emery I think there is a lot more to come!
I've never said otherwise mate.

As for the productivity v talent argument it depends on your definition of talented. Plenty of examples of goal-getters who aren't exactly Ronaldinho on the ball.

I've never said otherwise mate.

As for the productivity v talent argument it depends on your definition of talented. Plenty of examples of goal-getters who aren't exactly Ronaldinho on the ball.

You don't have to be Hazard or Ronaldinho level on the ball to be offensively talented imo.

TheArsenalis

We need a challenger for his spot not just a back up. Some one who could push him out if he isnt levelling up.

He has done well so far this season not much complaint. Pretty much same situation at left back monreal soon past it and kola not looking particularly upto it.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Bellerins positioning was dreadful yesterday, we really should be startinf Lich ahead of him.

marting

Bellerins positioning was dreadful yesterday, we really should be startinf Lich ahead of him.

Bare in mind he was playing as a wing back rather then a full back which is his normal role, Its understandable. That will come with practise.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Thought he was very good today, always a threat going forward and pretty solid defensively other than one shocking misplaced pass that gave Son a sight of goal

It wasn't just one shocking misplaced pass, it was two, and I don't think he played particularly well, Sp**s and good preparation made it easy for him. But his pass for our second goal was phenomenal, that has to be said.

Kolasinac headed a loose ball to Holding, who had some time to make a decision. While Son was about to close him down, he released the ball across to Bellerin, then Bellerin kicked it diagonally to cut Sp**s in two and found Ramsey's run, who in turn assisted Aubameyang. Top-drawer from Bellerin, but incredible incision from the team overall, 3 passes to get clean on goal. When did we last see that under Wenger? Feck knows.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
It wasn't just one shocking misplaced pass, it was two, and I don't think he played particularly well, Sp**s and good preparation made it easy for him. But his pass for our second goal was phenomenal, that has to be said.
I only remember the one in the 2nd half that I mentioned. I just felt that he was a threat whenever he got the ball and that he could make something happen in the final 3rd, and I haven’t had that sort of confidence in him much over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom