• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery, half season report card

How satisfied are you with Unai Emery's performance on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
First things first: Learn to quote properly cause I've just randomly stumbled upon your latest two answers...

I've said enough times now that I'll eat my words if Emery gets us to play good footie and that he should get a second season. And I've been rather sound with my observations up until now and that this team has problems that will surface sooner or later, but I'm not a fortune teller. so yeah, let's see.

What Emery is doing isn't adapting it's tinkering without a clear idea in mind. But opinions differ, so if you think it's adapting keep on thinking that.

Injuries are a problem right now, but he problems I'm alluding to and talking about have been there way before the injury crisis. Look it up.

I'll give you that Mustafi and Holding have looked rather good, but I've never been a massive enemy of Shkodran, although I have to concede Holding has surprised me.

The back three has barely looked solid or organized this season.

There were enough alternatives to not play Xhaka out of position but Emery failed to recognize his value at CM far outweigths the negatives of playing someone else at CB. Multiple times in a row even.

I was about to go on answering you point for point, but you know what? I can't be arsed. I'll rely on another poster's work whom I won't name right now, but I'll just give you this:

That's what you said tonight. Now for your past opinions:

a>

Your plausability is down the drain with that, sorry.

And btw you just keep on harping about the squad and unbalanced and ****. You don't even bother to go into tactical stuff and maybe have a slight look at Emery. It's so ****ing biased. You harp on about the Klopp and Guardiola comparisons making excuses for why Emery just isn't as good as those two. And again, I'm not part of the recent meltdown, I have been saying this stuff for a long while before this run of bad games, but you also fail to address that. Now I'm taking a ****ing break from you cause all I'm gonna get here is uh oh unbalanced uh oh but Klopp.

Get yourself an opinion and stick to it.

Sorry I've just seen this.
I still stand with what I've said back then because you're just quoting me in a whole different context just to make your point.

These quotes were from Nov 2017. A lot of things have changed since then.

This is just intellectual dishonesty from you.

Yes I've said our squad was 2 to 3 top signings away to challenge for the title when I still thought we could keep Sanchez and was still one of the best player in the league. When Nacho was still fit and one of the best LB in the league. Koscielny before his injury.

In the meantime we've lost our only very good winger in the squad which hasn't been replaced. Auba is a different player.
Koscielny isn't the same player anymore.
And we dont have a single winger in the squad anymore.

Liverpool has signed top top quality players with VVD Alisson who were game changers. They've also signed Fabinho, Keita Shaqiri who brought them a lot of depth.

Tottenham is a young team who is improving and Son has been playing like a top quality player lately.
And their squad today is more balanced, thus better than ours imo.

But thing has tremendously changed in the meantime and I've been saying during last summer Top 4 was going to be really hard to get unless we sign a top CB and a very good winger.

So please next time you want to quote me, give the full context instead of manipulating what I've been saying.
Thanks. ;):)

MustOezil

Pros:
- Unlike Wenger he does change things when it's not working as he expected.
- Players work hard for 90 min.
- Likes to play the Arsenal way with a lot of passing and movement.

Cons:
- Has no clue how to set this team up, the further the seasons goes the worse he is at setting things up, and it should be the exact opposite.
- Created a lot of chaos in recent weeks, key players are frustrated and he is killing any chance of consistency in them.
- Doesn't give chances to academy players, rather sticks with proven failures in games where they could actually get some experience without having negative impact on the result.
- Over reliant on individual brilliance instead of having a working system.
- Terrible man management, we've seen how this worked out for Mourinho.
- Questionable team selections, subs worked out most of the time so there is a feeling that he is a great tactician, but in reality it was the initial selection that was flawed and he needed to change things as soon as possible.

A lot of good work was done by Sven and Sanlehi that Emery takes credit for. New players (Torreira, Douzy, Papa and Leno) massively improved the quality of the squad.
Considering how good this squad is and that we still need top quality wide player and CB, I would say that we are having expected results (maybe we could've got few more points), but our competition is very consistent and we'll be there when we add those 2 additions to the squad.

7/10 for table position
4/10 for players management
5/10 for tactics

I expected more if I'm honest, he is far away from Wenger's quality.

Spot on.

Emery - His time at PSG proved that he was unfit for a top level club, displayed a massive lack of man management skills (Cavani Neymar issues) and failed to achieve in Europe with one of the strongest teams in the world.

His time at arsenal is still early so a lot may still change. But there are lots that worry me.

1. In my eyes, we're freezing out Özil. Our most creative player and metronome gets subbed out when we are drawing against Brighton? Bollocks.
2. We're not tying up Ramsey who is a wonderful player and engine. What the was all the talk about Aaron being the center piece of the team about then?
3. He rarely gets the starting 11 right. The fact that he had to make so many changes at half time is worrying and proof that his system is very reliant on players.
4. Emery's defensive record away is abhorent and is only pulling results because he inherited Aubameyang and Lacazette. If Arsène had Auba, Torreira and Sokratis, Arsenal would have easily been top 4 last year.

Wenger is a top class manager with many players speaking very highly of him. He has an amazing pulling power that has seen us sign Alexis, Özil, Aubameyang in recent years.

The problem with Arsenal is the personnel, and more specifically Mustafi and a lack of RBs and LBs. Wenger tried to rid of Mustafi and Elnenny, but that clearly didn't go accordingly to plans, a mistake of his or of the institution that eventually became his demise.

Emery is not the same class as the big man, and in my personal opinion he will be sacked within two years.

Last edited:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
If you guys think showering Özil with love, affection, flowers, UHD Netflix account and a constant place in the team is going to reap rewards then you're living in a world of puppy dogs and ice cream.

What you will get is
  • Random missed games with unspecified injuries (so he's unable to build this often mentioned "momentum" anyway)
  • The odd world class performance for sure
  • A whole host of performances where he is a GHOST on the pitch (not my words, not Keowns words, but the recent words of Petit, an Arsenal midfield legend)

I'm only referring to the Özil of the last season or so. There was unquestionably a period for us where he was one of the best players in the league. That time has passed, it will not return, he is now only theoretically our "best talent" but in reality, I must painfully regret to inform you he is a ghost.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Sorry I've just seen this.
I still stand with what I've said back then because you're just quoting me in a whole different context just to make your point.

These quotes were from Nov 2017. A lot of things have changed since then.

This is just intellectual dishonesty from you.

Yes I've said our squad was 2 to 3 top signings away to challenge for the title when I still thought we could keep Sanchez and was still one of the best player in the league. When Nacho was still fit and one of the best LB in the league. Koscielny before his injury.

In the meantime we've lost our only very good winger in the squad which hasn't been replaced. Auba is a different player.
Koscielny isn't the same player anymore.
And we dont have a single winger in the squad anymore.

Liverpool has signed top top quality players with VVD Alisson who were game changers. They've also signed Fabinho, Keita Shaqiri who brought them a lot of depth.

Tottenham is a young team who is improving and Son has been playing like a top quality player lately.
And their squad today is more balanced, thus better than ours imo.

But thing has tremendously changed in the meantime and I've been saying during last summer Top 4 was going to be really hard to get unless we sign a top CB and a very good winger.

So please next time you want to quote me, give the full context instead of manipulating what I've been saying.
Thanks. ;):)

Apologetic BS and you know that. You said this team was 2 to 3 signings and a manager away from challenging for the title. And now you make it sound like Monreal's decline and not having Alexis anymore, who has been replaced Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and who was **** for most of 17/18 anyway and whom people wanted sold in the summer, plus the additions of Sokratis, Leno and Torreira plus a new manager are barely good enough scraping for 5th. That's disingeniuos.

In December last year, you say 2, 3 signings and a new manager. You say you said that cause Sanchez, who again was quite **** last December, was still here. But he was **** and was replaced by Auba und Mkhi. Then in the summer the 2, 3 signings are made and a new manager comes in. Now suddenly it's tough and you changed your tune. That's jumpy and like I said disingenious.

Tottenham haven't signed anyone in the summer. They're not more balanced or whatever now than when you made your comments in December.

Liverpool are better tactically and squad wise, of course, and they were last December and it was clear to anyone. But then again I wasn't the one saying Arsenal would challenge for the title with 2 or 3 additions and a new manager.

But you know what, I'm done anyway. Can't be arsed to waste my time anymore.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
If you guys think showering Özil with love, affection, flowers, UHD Netflix account and a constant place in the team is going to reap rewards then you're living in a world of puppy dogs and ice cream.

What you will get is
  • Random missed games with unspecified injuries (so he's unable to build this often mentioned "momentum" anyway)
  • A whole host of performances where he is a GHOST on the pitch (not my words, not Keowns words, but the recent words of Petit, an Arsenal midfield legend)

I'm only referring to the Özil of the last season or so. There was unquestionably a period for us where he was one of the best players in the league. That time has passed, it will not return, he is now only theoretically our "best talent" but in reality, I must painfully regret to inform you he is a ghost.

Pele dubbed Nicky Butt his player of the 2002 World Cup. What makes Petit's opinion on Özil the objective truth? The fact that he's a legend doesn't make his opinion objectively right either. If Bergkamp came out and said Özil is our best player, world class and should be in the team, would you have quoted that? Or are you only repeating what Petit said because that statement agrees with your line of thinking?

A lot of players miss games by the way. Özil has missed games for Arsenal and Germany. Why would he duck out of duty for his own national team? The more likely scenario is that he has a chronic back problem.

Even Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged that you have to take a different approach for different players. Some might need a bollocking, others might need an arm around the shoulder. Özil is the latter type of player and since you bring it up, Wenger's coddling of Özil led the latter to get within a few assists of the league's assist record. Held by our very own Henry who played in a far better team than Özil did that season.

Your last paragraph is I'm afraid nothing but conjecture. You can't state that his time has passed and hasn't returned because unless you have a crystal ball no way you can just write him off with such certainty.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Apologetic BS and you know that. You said this team was 2 to 3 signings and a manager away from challenging for the title. And now you make it sound like Monreal's decline and not having Alexis anymore, who has been replaced Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and who was **** for most of 17/18 anyway and whom people wanted sold in the summer, plus the additions of Sokratis, Leno and Torreira plus a new manager are barely good enough scraping for 5th. That's disingeniuos.

In December last year, you say 2, 3 signings and a new manager. You say you said that cause Sanchez, who again was quite **** last December, was still here. But he was **** and was replaced by Auba und Mkhi. Then in the summer the 2, 3 signings are made and a new manager comes in. Now suddenly it's tough and you changed your tune. That's jumpy and like I said disingenious.

Aubameyang hasn't replaced Alexis. They're such different players with different skillsets and they don't even play in the same position.

Alexis has spent most of his career playing as a winger. Aubameyang has spent most of his career playing as a striker.

Is it that hard to understand?

Mkhitaryan has been okay during his first 6 months and has been mediocre at best this season.
Sanchez hasn't been properly replaced. We don't have a single player in the squad who brings what sanchez has brought with his skillset.
This is just a fact dude.

And we all thought Sanchez wasn't as good as usual last year because of contracts issues.
Nobody has expected such a decline from him.

Tottenham haven't signed anyone in the summer. They're not more balanced or whatever now than when you made your comments in December.

Tottenham is a young team who got even better.
In the meantime Arsenal has lost its only solid winger in the squad, its best CB to a terrible injury, its best FB due to decline & injury.
And these player haven't been properly replaced.

Liverpool are better tactically and squad wise, of course, and they were last December and it was clear to anyone. But then again I wasn't the one saying Arsenal would challenge for the title with 2 or 3 additions and a new manager.

But you know what, I'm done anyway. Can't be arsed to waste my time anymore.

When I've said 2 or 3 signings away to challenge for the title I was talking about top quality signings who would walk into the team. I was talking about a top CB (we didn't get it) a top DM (we got torreira) and another top winger (we got 0 and lost sanchez in the meantime)

So far I consider only Torreira has been a huge upgrade on what we had last year.
Sokratis isn't better than a fit Koscielny we had last year.
Leno is a good signing but he is not a game changer.

I'm done too. You clearly have an agenda against Emery and you think our squad is good enough to be a favorite to get top 4.
A squad who has missed it twice, who don't have a single winger in the squad and has the worst defensive players out of the top 6. :lol:

For the record I don't even care about Unai Emery and I would have defended any other coach who would have been at the head of such a mess.
I'm blaming years of amateurish management from the board Wenger and his staff.

Once we get a balanced squad and we dont improve I will be the first to criticize Emery don't worry.

I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆

What you will get is

Emery should've done to Özil what Mourinho did to Rooney: play him every week so that he can show beyond a doubt that he's past it, so when you do drop him from the squad no one can have any complaints. Outside of Cardiff, Newcastle and Leicester he's been nowhere near his potential.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Pele dubbed Nicky Butt his player of the 2002 World Cup. What makes Petit's opinion on Özil the objective truth? The fact that he's a legend doesn't make his opinion objectively right either. If Bergkamp came out and said Özil is our best player, world class and should be in the team, would you have quoted that? Or are you only repeating what Petit said because that statement agrees with your line of thinking?

A lot of players miss games by the way. Özil has missed games for Arsenal and Germany. Why would he duck out of duty for his own national team? The more likely scenario is that he has a chronic back problem.

Even Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged that you have to take a different approach for different players. Some might need a bollocking, others might need an arm around the shoulder. Özil is the latter type of player and since you bring it up, Wenger's coddling of Özil led the latter to get within a few assists of the league's assist record. Held by our very own Henry who played in a far better team than Özil did that season.

Your last paragraph is I'm afraid nothing but conjecture. You can't state that his time has passed and hasn't returned because unless you have a crystal ball no way you can just write him off with such certainty.

I didn't say Petit was the objective truth. As a legend who has won a title I thought it might carry a bit of weight. I could have picked any number of pros saying the same thing TBH.

How about this: Instead of referring to an imagined quote from Bergkamp why don't you find me an actual recent quote in the real world.

If you want an example of conjecture you can go to the Özil thread where the range of excuses for him last season under Wenger ranged from back injury, sensitivity, tiredness due to long flights, low immune system and undiagnosed mental health issues.

You can still follow Özil at his next club brother, there is no need to be upset, although you may need an IPTV provider to view the Chinese sports channels.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I didn't say Petit was the objective truth. As a legend who has won a title I thought it might carry a bit of weight. I could have picked any number of pros saying the same thing TBH.

How about this: Instead of referring to an imagined quote from Bergkamp why don't you find me an actual recent quote in the real world.

If you want an example of conjecture you can go to the Özil thread where the range of excuses for him last season under Wenger ranged from back injury, sensitivity, tiredness due to long flights, low immune system and undiagnosed mental health issues.

You can still follow Özil at his next club brother, there is no need to be upset, although you may need an IPTV provider to view the Chinese sports channels.

Pros with an axe to grind against Özil and the club. Haven't you noticed how from day one the media has been on Özil's back? The man has been an absolute lightning rod for unfair criticism. While other players can perform indifferently for months on end without a peep from them, any Sp**s or City player for example.

I could give you quotes from Mourinho, Ronaldo, Messi, Ramos, Cazorla and Wenger but for some reason, you wanted recent quotes.

I suppose Jerome Boateng will have to do: "It's not about that photo. It's about a great player who has won the World Cup with us," Boateng said. "Who has won a lot of caps, who changed German football a bit. A No. 10 with a migratory background."

Not even going to address that last paragraph, except to say if you think playing in China is an indicator of quality, you would be wrong. Oscar of Chelsea fame is currently playing there as is Carrasco the former Atletico player. Guys are going there for the money, its not necessarily an indicator that the player is finished at the top level

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
8/10. Defense isn’t only his fault, but he shares in the blame; the players he brought in haven’t made much of an impact. Think we’re playing more fluidly and he’s been hamstrung by a board that shot their financial load on the last guy and top wage earner who can’t be bothered to play anymore. We’re 1-2 spots above where I thought we’d be.

blaze_of_glory

Emery should've done to Özil what Mourinho did to Rooney: play him every week so that he can show beyond a doubt that he's past it, so when you do drop him from the squad no one can have any complaints. Outside of Cardiff, Newcastle and Leicester he's been nowhere near his potential.
Was our best player along with Lacazette vs Liverpool at home.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Was our best player along with Lacazette vs Liverpool at home.
I thought Xhaka was the best midfielder on the pitch against Liverpool personally. Other than that brilliant flick to put Lacazette through in the 1st half, I didn't think he was that great. Certainly not compared to his performances against United and Chelsea at home last season where he completely bossed the game.

blaze_of_glory

I thought Xhaka was the best midfielder on the pitch against Liverpool personally. Other than that brilliant flick to put Lacazette through in the 1st half, I didn't think he was that great. Certainly not compared to his performances against United and Chelsea at home last season where he completely bossed the game.
Xhaka was good too. As was Iwobi. It was a complete team performance, and Özil was a key part of it.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Xhaka was good too. As was Iwobi. It was a complete team performance, and Özil was a key part of it.
Özil just bothers me because hydro and I have taken years of death threats defending him against unfair attacks on here, and I feel personally let down that he's not performing every week at that level we know he's capable of.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Spot on.

Emery - His time at PSG proved that he was unfit for a top level club, displayed a massive lack of man management skills (Cavani Neymar issues) and failed to achieve in Europe with one of the strongest teams in the world.

His time at arsenal is still early so a lot may still change. But there are lots that worry me.

1. In my eyes, we're freezing out Özil. Our most creative player and metronome gets subbed out when we are drawing against Brighton? Bollocks.
2. We're not tying up Ramsey who is a wonderful player and engine. What the was all the talk about Aaron being the center piece of the team about then?
3. He rarely gets the starting 11 right. The fact that he had to make so many changes at half time is worrying and proof that his system is very reliant on players.
4. Emery's defensive record away is abhorent and is only pulling results because he inherited Aubameyang and Lacazette. If Arséne had Auba, Torreira and Sokratis, Arsenal would have easily been top 4 last year.

Wenger is a top class manager with many players speaking very highly of him. He has an amazing pulling power that has seen us sign Alexis, Özil, Aubameyang in recent years.

The problem with Arsenal is the personnel, and more specifically Mustafi and a lack of RBs and LBs. Wenger tried to rid of Mustafi and Elnenny, but that clearly didn't go accordingly to plans, a mistake of his or of the institution that eventually became his demise.

Emery is not the same class as the big man, and in my personal opinion he will be sacked within two years.

I was with you until The Wenger stuff

That man, glory to his memory, was out of touch The last couple of years, severely so.

Selection and organisation is The problem, sadly The same as with The old man. I Might add psycological training
Most of our players have fubbed on more than one occasion

Like Mustafi it is a frekkin conundrum
Man goes from being a starter in two upper half teams in two Leagues (at a pretty young age) and 20 caps for one of the best nationalteams in The world
To being a klutz?

Even on here People say that he has been better this season vs last (same with whipping boy Xhaka) because we are a little bit better organised but still not enough

marting

His doing exactly as we probably hoped. we are 5th, In touching distance of top 4. His making strong decisions with people like Özil and giving everyone a good look over. Lets me honest we are not better then any of the clubs above us so 5th or 6th is our position. Its up the the club to back him and Sven to find the right players to come in and push this squad forward.

I dont care if we dont sign anyone in Jan, i would rather a proper signing in the summer then a half job solution (Cahill) in the Jan window.

I think the team looks to have a better shape, Injuries have knocked us a little but the individual mistakes are still killing us. Opta has us down for 17 mistakes leading to shots.....Is fan fart positioning classed as a mistake?

Top Bottom