• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What’s your favourite Arsenal match?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
We've had quite a bit of great results the past decade or two to look back on (as well as an equal amount of forgettable nights and heartbreak, unfortunately), with most having been mentioned. Obviously, Barca at home, winning the title at Old Trafford and White Hart Lane, Michael Thomas vs Liverpool, etc... immediately come to mind. The wins in Madrid at the Bernabeu, Milan and Inter at the San Siro, Dortmund at Signal Iduna, and Bayern at the Allianz have also been mentioned to no surprise, being the first English team to win at those venues.

One I didn't see mentioned was the win over Liverpool at Highbury during our Invincibles' season where Titi scored a hat trick. It'd be easy to overlook that match looking back. On the surface it looks like just another win over Liverpool, during a time where we had their number for the most part.

However, that couldn't be further from the truth, as it was coming off, possibly, one of the worst weeks of football I can remember, where we were knocked out of the FA Cup SF to United and the Champions League QF to Chelsea (still have flashbacks to Bridge's goal, still fuming about that result), absolute nightmare of a week.

We went down twice in that match, and morale was pretty toast. I'm almost certain we would have blown the title had we lost that match. But we showed great resiliency, fighting back in the face of adversity, and when Henry got on the ball during that goal to go 3-2 up, you can see the North Bank stand up in anticipation of what was to come. Once the ball struck the back of the net, the relief and energy that roared back into Highbury was palpable. I believe that victory gave us the second wind to finish off the job that season.

Was able to find both the commentaries on Sky and Peter Drury:
This was my favorite and also IMO Henry's best goal for us. What I love most about the goal, apart from the goal itself is if you notice, a supporter in the upper right corner of the North Bank, starts jumping up and down as Thierry is bearing down on goal, and when he does score the person doesn't just go wild like everyone else but just starts clapping. Absolutely brilliant moment.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Winning the title at Old Trafford.

Another great moment & one that always serves as a scathing retort to my United supporting mates about our record at their ground.

When they say "Arsenal don't win matches at Old Trafford" to which my reply simply is "Why settle for a win at Old Trafford when we can win the title there". This is usually followed by silence & petulant jibes like "Yeah but you haven't been relevant in ages" :lol:

neimad

It's really unfortunate I was only three years and a bit old when '89 happened. Wish I could go back in time and experience it as an adult. I've been lucky enough to go through x3 PL titles and countless FA Cups, however I feel like if we won the PL title ever again it would be so much more special, given I am fully grown and a mature adult (hah!), was only mid-to-late teens when we were winning things with AW

Yes on that theme when we won the FA cup after the 10 year drought I think I was more relieved than excited which in a way took from it. Kind of just happy I didn't have to listen to rival fans/media harping on about it. What also made Anfield so good was Liverpool were very much the media darlings and literally, nobody gave us a chance. The cup final against Chelsea a few years back was very similar. I love those type of wins. The United cup final where they were all over us and we won on penos felt great as we should have beaten Liverpool previously and that poxy gimp Michael Owen scored the undeserved winner. I think as an Arsenal fan you have to make a pact that you'll have as many let downs as highs and once you accept this you'll be fine.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

For young uns who didn’t experience it, Anfield '89 was the original “last min Aguero moment” PLUS we were away at Anfield and monumental underdogs. Its difficult to find words that can even come close to describing it.

Friday night shown live on telly which was unusual back in those days. Many neutrals were supporting Liverpool as Hillsborough had happened just a month before. Arsenal massive underdogs. The title was Liverpool's right up until Michael Thomas charged through the middle. Remember jumping round the house like a lunatic.

neimad

Friday night shown live on telly which was unusual back in those days. Many neutrals were supporting Liverpool as Hillsborough had happened just a month before. Arsenal massive underdogs. The title was Liverpool's right up until Michael Thomas charged through the middle. Remember jumping round the house like a lunatic.

Was there a reason it was on a Friday night actually?

progman07

Established Member
A bit low-key match compared to the others mentioned, but our 7-0 win in the 2007/08 CL season against Slavia Prague has been a great example of the team including Cesc - Flamini - Rosicky - Hleb - Walcott - van Persie - Adebayor dominating a match with great fluid attacking play, and dangerous counter-attacks.

It was a pretty amazing team in attack and we were robbed the CL semi-finals (Hleb should have won 1-2 penalties) against Pool. A slightly better defense, and less injuries would probably have changed the tide of our fate because we were so close to winning things.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

A bit low-key match compared to the others mentioned, but our 7-0 win in the 2007/08 CL season against Slavia Prague has been a great example of the team including Cesc - Flamini - Rosicky - Hleb - Walcott - van Persie - Adebayor dominating a match with great fluid attacking play, and dangerous counter-attacks.

It was a pretty amazing team in attack and we were robbed the CL semi-finals (Hleb should have won 1-2 penalties) against Pool. A slightly better defense, and less injuries would probably have changed the tide of our fate because we were so close to winning things.

2007/2008 was a tragedy. That team deserved either a CL or a PL title. The football we played was scintillating. Despite the anguish it's still one of my favourite ever seasons, as we saw the fruits of our labours RE: project youth.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
not the most memorable game, but for some reason I am very attached to that 2-0 win over Juve at Highbury 2006.
our unique defense was on fire those days, and we completely tactically outclassed them. I remember rewatching that game 3 times in 2 days after the game, glued to the screen observing all those little things we did to perfection.
Senderos was a beast, will never forget

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Cheers! Watching EPL in India is horrendous.

I was there working & living 2000 to 2008, tbh I had more access to PL than I did in UK (I dont have Sky) but the time difference was a pain for CL but great for PL (8.30pm Sat kick off) I had a satalite box, cant remember the brand though. Nightmare when there were power outages though!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was there working & living 2000 to 2008, tbh I had more access to PL than I did in UK (I dont have Sky) but the time difference was a pain for CL but great for PL (8.30pm Sat kick off) I had a satalite box, cant remember the brand though. Nightmare when there were power outages though!
I know! It's a struggle trying to Watch, especially CL. Though our city had far less power cuts. Thank God.

We had made an illegal connection in the wire of the local cable company, which had an illegal subscription to sports channel.

8 years is a long time. Hope you had it good.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I know! It's a struggle trying to Watch, especially CL. Though our city had far less power cuts. Thank God.

We had made an illegal connection in the wire of the local cable company, which had an illegal subscription to sports channel.

8 years is a long time. Hope you had it good.

I was in Pune, loved it. My family came home to UK in 2006, I carried on for 2 more years, 6 weeks Pune, 3 weeks UK. We travelled around a bit, Golden Triangle (Delhi-Rajastan-Agra), Mumbai often, also went to Kerala, greenest place I've ever been, it was Nov so just after monsoon. We used to get a train from Pune to Goa for 3 day weekend because we missed the sea. Great times!

Where were you in India? or are you still there?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

A match that I don't really remember watching at the time as I was only like 6 I think and wasn't yet into football but I'll always have a soft spot for our away win at Anfield in the 01/02 season. Just before Christmas with both sides well and truly in the title race we went to Anfield had a man sent off in the first half and yet still produced a great performance to get the win. It was almost like having a man less didn't make a difference because of the character we had, the players all had elite mentality and showed great courage. It was a champions performance, one of those results that you look back on when you end up with the title as a pivotal moment. Pires produced a brilliant moment and Ljungberg once again scoring in a big match.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom