• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

José Mourinho: See Mou Later

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I honestly think it's going to be very difficult for him to get a job at a big club again after the way things have imploded for him at the last two stops (and to a certain extent even at Real Madrid). He's going to have to coach a lesser club of some sort in order to show that he's capable of handling the pressure and not going off half-cocked and blaming his players and everyone else around him whenever things aren't going his way.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

I was half-kidding, of course. But that said, if the Galaxy actually wanted him they could easily give him 10 million reasons every season to make the move. Last year, Tata Martino was the 5th-highest paid club manager in the world, behind only Pep, Jose, Carlo and Arséne Wenger. The Galaxy could throw a lot more money at a coach than Atlanta. He's not getting that sort of money to coach Newcastle or in Portugal or Italy or even in Spain at this point. The Galaxy actually could afford to meet his price, whatever it is. Hell, they could afford to give him a raise if they wanted him badly enough.

Of course if he's coaching in England the ideal pre-season location is in England, but wherever he's coaching (including California) would be the ideal place. Mourinho has been coming to L.A. since 2004 and has openly expressed his love for the city and for UCLA. He's spoken of how much he enjoys having the freedom to go out and not be mobbed (I mean, who is going to pay much attention to Jose Mourinho when Brad Pitt and George Clooney are around all the time?). He told writer Grant Wahl that he would love to coach in Los Angeles, or at least in America, someday. Maybe now, considering his circumstances, would be the perfect time.

As for his family, they can always move to California. The Beckhams were far more entrenched in England than the Mourinhos and they did it. His daughter was even born in L.A. A lot of Europeans love California because of the warm weather and laid back lifestyle. Klinsmann lived there for years before becoming the USMNT coach.

So while, as I said, I was half kidding, it actually could make some sense and there's really no reason it couldn't happen.

I don't know, I see what you're saying but his whole career he's talked about how England is the only place he wants to manage, I just can't picture him elsewhere, not at this stage of his career. Maybe if he was 10 years younger he'd go to Italy/Spain etc. But there's absolutely no rush to manage anymore for him. He doesn't really have to prove himself like a young manager anymore, everyone knows what he's about. He just has to be patient and sit on 25m.

He's still got more to give than to go MLS. Like I said, I'm sure some opportunity will open up in England.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't know, I see what you're saying but his whole career he's talked about how England is the only place he wants to manage, I just can't picture him elsewhere, not at this stage of his career. Maybe if he was 10 years younger he'd go to Italy/Spain etc. But there's absolutely no rush to manage anymore for him. He doesn't really have to prove himself like a young manager anymore, everyone knows what he's about. He just has to be patient and sit on 25m.

He's still got more to give than to go MLS. Like I said, I'm sure some opportunity will open up in England.

Well, the truth is that Mourinho kind of says that wherever he is. Every time he signs a contract he says he wants to stay 10 years. Said it in Madrid. Said it at Inter. When he's trained in Los Angeles he's said he'd love to coach here someday. So I wouldn't put too much stock in what he's said in the past. He says what people want to hear until he can no longer say what people want to hear.

If he manages in England again, he's going to have to accept a club lower in the pecking order like Rafa and Pellegrini. I can't see Jose managing at West Ham or Newcastle or any other club where finances will be limited. And who among City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal would have him? The fact is, he does have to prove himself before he gets hired by a big club.

I actually agree with you that he'll probably take some time off, but if the Galaxy decided they really, really wanted him it's not out of the question. He would be making more money than he could make anywhere else and the pressure would be far less. Two of his favorite former players are already there. So you never know.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

If he manages in England again, he's going to have to accept a club lower in the pecking order like Rafa and Pellegrini. I can't see Jose managing at West Ham or Newcastle or any other club where finances will be limited. And who among City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal would have him? The fact is, he does have to prove himself before he gets hired by a big club.

I actually agree with you that he'll probably take some time off, but if the Galaxy decided they really, really wanted him it's not out of the question. He would be making more money than he could make anywhere else and the pressure would be far less. Two of his favorite former players are already there. So you never know.

Let's agree to disagree.

I just think it's easy to say the above now. Ironically, most of the clubs people are suggesting in this very thread are his old clubs, that only shows how unsurprising it would be. A lot can change very quickly in football, we all know this.

We have a Top 6 and there's only room for 4, there will be managerial changes continuously, that much is guaranteed. I just have a strong feeling, a club in England will bite in a year or so. The same way we did in a desperate position.

As for United, I don't think his stint here says much, there's something very rotten in this club.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Let's agree to disagree.

I just think it's easy to say the above now. Ironically, most of the clubs people are suggesting in this very thread are his old clubs, that only shows how unsurprising it would be. A lot can change very quickly in football, we all know this.

We have a Top 6 and there's only room for 4, there will be managerial changes continuously, that much is guaranteed. I just have a strong feeling, a club in England will bite in a year or so. The same way we did in a desperate position.

As for United, I don't think his stint here says much, there's something very rotten in this club.

I'll agree that the problems do go deeper than Jose, but this wasn't an isolated incident for him. When he was at Chelsea the first time he didn't reflexively throw his players to the Wolves (not even Wolverhampton) every time things started going badly. He's changed. He used to stay calm and play mind games with other managers. Now he plays mind games with his own players. I think he could use a more low key position if he plans to stay in this game at all.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Happy he's gone. I don't like disliking people, but I've disliked him ever since he came to England and behaved insultingly towards Wenger and others, whilst fawning on Ferguson.

He only manages in England if some other billionaire appears on the scene and funds a club into the top six. That kind of club - an Everton, Newcastle, Wolves etc - might think it's a coup to get a guy who has won leagues and champions leagues.

Maybe it's time for him to fail with Portugal?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Absolute f*ck of a human being. Hope he never manages again.

Definitely agree with this sentiment but a bit shocked that you're not angry at the man for completely and blatantly exacerbating the situation.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

What's funny about Mourinho's reputation about being a negative manager is that there's managers like Allegri, Conte and Simeone who're all more defensive and pragmatic than but get nowhere near as much flack for the way their teams play football. Like Mourinho says, his Chelsea side in 04-06 pretty much never parked the bus and constantly played attacking football. With Inter it's a bit different in Serie A but like he said they scored 3 goals against Barcelona while people only focus on the second leg where they had a man wrongly sent off and had to park the bus. With Real Madrid they were scoring for fun, breaking points records and playing entertaining football in their title winning campaign. With Chelsea they played good stuff at times but also played pragmatic as well as they had slow defenders and slow midfielders so also had to be a bit more cautious in their approach for certain games. As for United, they were scoring for fun at the start of last season, scored 3 goals at the Emirates, scored three goals away at Man City, scored 2 at home to Liverpool, scored 2 goals at home to Chelsea all resulting in big wins. I think with Mourinho, for a lot of people the big results he's had where he "parked the bus" skews peoples view of him.

Top Bottom