• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Roma fans aren't too pleased with how Monchi has conducted business for them thus far though. He cashed in on Alisson, Nainggolan, and Strootman but hasn't replaced them with effective buys. The players they brought in are good but not great, which sounds awfully familiar.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Here's a description someone gave of Monchi that reflects what I've heard and doesn't sound very encouraging:

"Monchi is doing what he has always done. Sell the big stars and sign fifty players to replace them. He has always been good at finding bargains(mostly because he always try to sign ten of them, and no one remembers Rusescu when Krychowiak turns out great), but even at Sevilla, lots of the bigger signings never worked out. Roma want to compete, not keep their heads above water. Having a first team squad of 26 players of about the same quality is not the way to do that. And when players like Under and Manolas is sold, they will probably be replaced, the replacements is probably another list of players that no one has heard of and make Monchi look like a genius if they work out.

There is always also the argument that Monchis biggest achievement was building a network, and not the actual part of finding players. That isnt done over night.
"

I'm not sure we're a club that is as okay with letting its big players go, so I'm not sure how this would work here. He's a profit generator, often at the expense of a club's success. The more I think about it, the more I don't like this. Sounds like more of the usual for us, Kroenke will keep making good money.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Here's a description someone gave of Monchi that reflects what I've heard and doesn't sound very encouraging:

"Monchi is doing what he has always done. Sell the big stars and sign fifty players to replace them. He has always been good at finding bargains(mostly because he always try to sign ten of them, and no one remembers Rusescu when Krychowiak turns out great), but even at Sevilla, lots of the bigger signings never worked out. Roma want to compete, not keep their heads above water. Having a first team squad of 26 players of about the same quality is not the way to do that. And when players like Under and Manolas is sold, they will probably be replaced, the replacements is probably another list of players that no one has heard of and make Monchi look like a genius if they work out.

There is always also the argument that Monchis biggest achievement was building a network, and not the actual part of finding players. That isnt done over night.
"

I'm not sure we're a club that is as okay with letting its big players go, so I'm not sure how this would work here.

He hasn’t worked at a club that’s able to pay big wages and have a chance to keep hold of their big players, so I’d give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Can Monchi and Emery do anything more than they did at Sevilla, here at Arsenal with no money?

It all seems pointless unless we have money to invest in the squad.

HBL

Established Member
Roma fans aren't too pleased with how Monchi has conducted business for them thus far though. He cashed in on Alisson, Nainggolan, and Strootman but hasn't replaced them with effective buys. The players they brought in are good but not great, which sounds awfully familiar.
Getting rid of Nainggolan was an insane deal for Roma. They got over £20m for him plus Zaniolo, who is one of the biggest talents in the league & Davide Santon (not that he matters) Nainggolan has been so average for Inter as well and who knows how long he has left at the top level, with his off-field habits, I'd say not long.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
The same people who are turning their noses up at Sven are now getting wet at the thought of us getting Monchi :lol:

You honestly have to be an idiot if you don’t think Sven is a major loss. Especially for a club like ours with only a 60m transfer budget each summer to work with.

Honestly I feel like those not bothered by his departure are people who dont get caught up in thinking these dudes are miracle workers. This thread reads like the start of the Shad Forsythe thread when he was going to fix all our injury issues, or when Bould was taking over for Pat Rice as #2 and how good our defense was going to be, or more similarly when that LCFC scout,Walsh, who was going to sign us a bunch of Kante's and Marhez's and whatnot.

Seems like more of AFC fans always hyping up their signings (player and/or staff), but given how fast Sven had another falling out we dont get a chance to see he too isnt a Messiah either as his thread falls to the abyss of A-M.

Tom349

So Mislintat out and replaced by Cagigao and potentially Monchi coming as the technical director. With Raul and Emery already at the club meaning four Spanish people in high roles at the club with the only player we've been seriously linked to also being Spanish. Anyone else concerned that this could be a bit of a boys club being formed? A potential case of getting guys they can easily work alongside without clashing even if the way they perform their roles aren't to the required level. Bit of cause for concern.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Someone tell me about Monchi, why's he spoken to highly of?

He took over as director of football at Sevilla after they were relegated and revamped their youth system and worldwide scouting network. Among the players he brought to Sevilla (through youth development or young bargain buys) were Sergio Ramos, Jose Antonio Reyes, Jesus Navas, Alberto Moreno, Diego Capel, Dani Alves, Adriano, Julio Baptista, Ivan Rakitic, Seydou Keita, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Alvaro Negredo,Christian Poulsen, Kevin Gameiro, Luis Fabiano, Diego Lopez, Carlos Bacca, Renato, Federico Fazio and many others. They won five UEFA Cup/Europa League while he was there. Had a great working relationship with Emery. At one time Real Madrid openly tried to court him. Sevilla did everything they could to keep him, demanding that he pay a 5 million buyout clause.

Now, he may or may not be the best person to be Arsenal's new technical director, but anyone should certainly be able to see why he would be an attractive candidate.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In today’s market you don’t need to sell your star players to make a profit. Average players are going for insane amounts, that’s the market we should be looking to capitalise in.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So Mislintat out and replaced by Cagigao and potentially Monchi coming as the technical director. With Raul and Emery already at the club meaning four Spanish people in high roles at the club with the only player we've been seriously linked to also being Spanish. Anyone else concerned that this could be a bit of a boys club being formed? A potential case of getting guys they can easily work alongside without clashing even if the way they perform their roles aren't to the required level. Bit of cause for concern.

YEAH BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

Jae

Personally not that fussed that he's leaving.

I think if Monchi has a good record of signing young players that essentially get sold later on for massive fees then that can only be a good thing (assuming it gets reinvested).

We ideally want to keep our best players, but Liverpool have sold a few for top dollar over the years and look at them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom