• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroud12

Klopp is the perfect example why a manager needs time AND money. Going by the logic by some on here, he should have been sacked in his first full season, because Liverpool were worse than we are now.

If we could have played Monreal/kola-Holding-Sokratis-Bellerin for the majority of the season, we would be well in the lead for 4th by now.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
People being critical of Emery because they think they know everything he’s doing wrong reminds me of Thierry Henry in the last couple of years of Wenger’s reign, commenting on Sky. Hated to see his lack of loyalty, particularly as I loved him as a player.

He went and tried it for himself and won just two matches and got sacked after 3 months. Similar to Gary Neville.

Everybody thinks managing is easy. 20 years in the top 4 and 10 trophies, Wenger was a genius on his spend. Let’s give Emery a chance.
Wenger probaby inherited a better squad from Rioch but his genius and gravitas was evident from the get go. Emery on paper is better than Wenger on paper (in 1996) but there's not much to see from him that scream genius. Even with a full pre season before defensive injuries kicked in,the defensive solidity was patchy at best. I didn't expect Wengerball but a lite version of the Graham defence was what I was sold. From November he has turned tinker man and that has cost us points and makes me doubt a man who won't trust his own successful formula.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger probaby inherited a better squad from Rioch but his genius and gravitas was evident from the get go. Emery on paper is better than Wenger on paper (in 1996) but there's not much to see from him that scream genius. Even with a full pre season before defensive injuries kicked in,the defensive solidity was patchy at best. I didn't expect Wengerball but a lite version of the Graham defence was what I was sold. From November he has turned tinker man and that has cost us points and makes me doubt a man who won't trust his own successful formula.
I’d still give him more time, even when a well respected poster like you has reservations.
a) times are much tougher now than when Wenger took over
b) of course Emery isn’t Wenger, but Wenger was 1 in a million. But I see a lot of similarities between his start and Klopp’s start. And that’s turned out OK
c) given the money invested in the squad I wasn’t expecting him to be much better than 5th in his first season
d)when things became unstuck this season it was when injuries struck.
e) when he has the full squad available his results have been pretty good, bar the first two games.
:lol:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I didn't expect Wengerball but a lite version of the Graham defence was what I was sold.

You were sold a bill of goods in that case because Emery has never been able to coach a defence to save his life.

That isn't me bashing him, anyone doubting that can look up the defensive record of his former teams. His Sevilla teams routinely had the worst defence in La Liga's top 6

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I’d still give him more time, even when a well respected poster like you has reservations.
a) times are much tougher now than when Wenger took over
b) of course Emery isn’t Wenger, but Wenger was 1 in a million. But I see a lot of similarities between his start and Klopp’s start. And that’s turned out OK
c) given the money invested in the squad I wasn’t expecting him to be much better than 5th in his first season
d)when things became unstuck this season it was when injuries struck.
e) when he has the full squad available his results have been pretty good, bar the first two games.
:lol:
I have no choice but to give him time but he doesn't have the genius to minimise the effect of a negligent owner. It's kind of hard having little to no hope to lose :(

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You were sold a bill of goods in that case because Emery has never been able to coach a defence to save his life.

That isn't me bashing him, anyone doubting that can look up the defensive record of his former teams. His Sevilla teams routinely had the worst defence in La Liga's top 6
I never looked at his stats but if you're right, why did everyone say he would make us better defensively and what did so many see as a vast improvement (beyond 5 games) that I didn't see? I hope you're mistaken but I doubt it.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I never looked at his stats but if you're right, why did everyone say he would make us better defensively and what did so many see as a vast improvement (beyond 5 games) that I didn't see? I hope you're mistaken but I doubt it.

LA Liga 2015-16 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_La_Liga
The top 4 conceded 35 goals or less. Celta 59 goals, Bilbao, 45 and Sevilla 50

2014-15 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_La_Liga
This season reads, 21, 38, 29, 32, Emery's Sevilla 45

Defence has never been Emery's strength. The man said himself he would rather win 5-4 than 1-0. People just got caught up in the hype and the "pragmatic manager" PR that the club put out about him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
LA Liga 2015-16 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_La_Liga
The top 4 conceded 35 goals or less. Celta 59 goals, Bilbao, 45 and Sevilla 50

2014-15 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_La_Liga
This season reads, 21, 38, 29, 32, Emery's Sevilla 45

Defence has never been Emery's strength. The man said himself he would rather win 5-4 than 1-0. People just got caught up in the hype and the "pragmatic manager" PR that the club put out about him.
Yikes. Thanks for the info. Think I'll sign out now. :eek:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It’s fanstastic. The wheat has been separated from the chaff like this place has never seen before. But not just here though.

The appointment of a new Arsenal manager was always going to see a huge unveiling, but we’re not talking about the identity of the new man in charge, this is about our so-called supporters.

Most on here havie not witnessed a change of manager since you discovered the club, and you’ve been laughing at other clubs and fans playing musical chairs with managers since 1997, now look at the absolute state of some of you. All sanctimonious and smug before, sat in your ivory towers.

It was a sham.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
It’s fanstastic. The wheat has been separated from the chaff like this place has never seen before. But not just here though.

The appointment of a new Arsenal manager was always going to see a huge unveiling, but we’re not talking about the identity of the new man in charge, this is about our so-called supporters.

Most on here havie not witnessed a change of manager since you discovered the club, and you’ve been laughing at other clubs and fans playing musical chairs with managers since 1997, now look at the absolute state of some of you. All sanctimonious and smug before, sat in your ivory towers.

It was a sham.
I swear down most people here envied the fact that other teams could switch managers on a whim...

Wenger leaving was celebrated as the time Arsenal would be unleashed. The shackles are off etc etc when people were clamouring for an inexperienced manager to take over (Arteta) you knew that this would not end well.

Emery needs time sure, but in that, the criticism is warranted.

I am assuming that you are talking about those who want Emery out now after being religious towards Arsène. If not, then please correct my assumption.

I thing there are warning signs about Emery, in fact I think there are warning signs about the whole so called modern set-up we have. But I will give Emery two years... I barely follow football anymore so it doesn't affect me that much if we lose games or won't compete.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I swear down most people here envied the fact that other teams could switch managers on a whim...

Wenger leaving was celebrated as the time Arsenal would be unleashed. The shackles are off etc etc when people were clamouring for an inexperienced manager to take over (Arteta) you knew that this would not end well.

Emery needs time sure, but in that, the criticism is warranted.

I am assuming that you are talking about those who want Emery out now after being religious towards Arséne. If not, then please correct my assumption.
It’s much simpler. I’m talking about people being over critical and those that would like him gone already. Nothing to do with Wenger at all. The vast majority wanted Wenger gone anyway, so I can’t say that’s a motive really.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Haven’t the vast majority of posters on here been desperate to get on the managerial merry go round for some time. Or I have I spent 4 years misreading posts?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Haven’t the vast majority of posters on here been desperate to get on the managerial merry go round for some time. Or I have I spent 4 years misreading posts?
All I ever got was people wanted Wenger out at almost any cost. I don't remember reading they wanted a change of manager every 5 months, no.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
It’s much simpler. I’m talking about people being over critical and those that would like him gone already. Nothing to do with Wenger at all. The vast majority wanted Wenger gone anyway, so I can’t say that’s a motive really.
That's fair enough and don't really have much to add as it's quite illogical to want a manager out in 6 months of decent results when as you said, no one has really been given a chance at Arsenal for us to know much different

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Yes this did happen but his overall point still stands, we mocked Wenger and wanted him out yet adored our stability in comparison to Chelsea's managerial structure for example. When a manager got sacked, we would laugh at the state of their club knowing that we aren't as trigger happy (Man UTD another example), but at the same time wanted our manager gone to try out the aforementioned approach.

What to take of all this? We are a weird bunch.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

All I ever got was people wanted Wenger out at almost any cost. I don't remember reading they wanted a change of manager every 5 months, no.
But that’s what you get, as you’ve been reading. The clamour for Emery out has already begun.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think we both have misread posts , because I do remember posters barely hiding their glee when we lost under Wenger . Others happy to finish outside the top 4 if it meant getting rid of Wenger , also remember one or two describing Santi's injury as a "blessing in disguise" there are some short memories on here but hey it is what it is .

Emery of course deserves time and backing nothing anyone on here says makes a difference either way :lol:. However I think people are fooling themselves if you think the new regime will give him 2 years .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom