• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He's playing some really nice stuff, shame he's at RB tho.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I’m so happy Nelson doesn’t get full matches. Watching 30mins of this Hoffenheim team is quite enough

Tell me about it, Hoffenheim are fking sh*te, I think that every time I've seen them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That was an......interesting match.

I'm quite a fan of Joelinton in terms of how he's put together as a player - but he's unbelievably greedy and it sours me on him a little as a player. I don't think greediness is inherently bad in CFs but if it continually leads to bad decisions and isn't tempered, it can lead to killed attacks frequently. That said, if we did not have Auba and Laca on deck, Joelinton is someone I could have leading our line with Nketiah as a back-up.

RE Nelson - he was pretty decent, but struggled to impose himself which I can forgive in this instance. Nagelsmann brought him on to play alongside the aforementioned Joelinton and he looked pretty good.......for about 5 mins. Got a decent shot away and tried to link the play between the midfield and his strike partner. However, Nagelsmann then decided to bring on Szalai for Bennet and move Nelson to the RWB position, which took him completely away from the attack. He found it hard to position himself while playing here but did look threatening when he was on the ball. Nonetheless, it was a pretty baffling decision to move Nelson to RWB trying to accommodate Szalai and then Belfodil - both of whom had no impact on the game at all when they were brought on.

I think a front 3 of Nelson-Joelinton-Kramaric is their most threatening attack. As much as Nelson has had a few teething problems, I still think he's a better option than Grifo, Belfodil and Szalai - all of whom are wildly inconsistent attackers.

neimad

That was an......interesting match.

I'm quite a fan of Joelinton in terms of how he's put together as a player - but he's unbelievably greedy and it sours me on him a little as a player. I don't think greediness is inherently bad in CFs but if it continually leads to bad decisions and isn't tempered, it can lead to killed attacks frequently. That said, if we did not have Auba and Laca on deck, Joelinton is someone I could have leading our line with Nketiah as a back-up.

RE Nelson - he was pretty decent, but struggled to impose himself which I can forgive in this instance. Nagelsmann brought him on to play alongside the aforementioned Joelinton and he looked pretty good.......for about 5 mins. Got a decent shot away and tried to link the play between the midfield and his strike partner. However, Nagelsmann then decided to bring on Szalai for Bennet and move Nelson to the RWB position, which took him completely away from the attack. He found it hard to position himself while playing here but did look threatening when he was on the ball. Nonetheless, it was a pretty baffling decision to move Nelson to RWB trying to accommodate Szalai and then Belfodil - both of whom had no impact on the game at all when they were brought on.

I think a front 3 of Nelson-Joelinton-Kramaric is their most threatening attack. As much as Nelson has had a few teething problems, I still think he's a better option than Grifo, Belfodil and Szalai - all of whom are wildly inconsistent attackers.

Is Nagelsmann getting much out of him @MutableEarth? From the reviews it seems he's been either underused or out of position. Maybe it's taking him a while to get used to the system. Hopefully he gets a run of games and shows what he can do as he did earlier in the season.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Is Nagelsmann getting much out of him @MutableEarth? From the reviews it seems he's been either underused or out of position. Maybe it's taking him a while to get used to the system. Hopefully he gets a run of games and shows what he can do as he did earlier in the season.
They will use him the way they want/need and they are also happy not to use him at all. There is no future value for them working with this kid, just use him to fill the holes.
It's why I think loans don't work for us and we need to work with them in our team, integrating them slowly.
We just gave that Suarez guy 20 minutes or so to lose 10 balls and we are happy to continue with that, but giving chances to our youngsters (who actually do perform well when they are given chance), it's sounds like madness to most of the people here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's a weird situation - I think he's benefiting as a person/individual and there are aspects to his game that have improved (he's better defensively, he's more versatile). But I think his momentum has been stop-start because he's been benched a lot due to not being as good defensively - although when he's played, he's often been in a forward position, which has been beneficial.

neimad

They will use him the way they want/need and they are also happy not to use him at all. There is no future value for them working with this kid, just use him to fill the holes.
It's why I think loans don't work for us and we need to work with them in our team, integrating them slowly.
We just gave that Suarez guy 20 minutes or so to lose 10 balls and we are happy to continue with that, but giving chances to our youngsters (who actually do perform well when they are given chance), it's sounds like madness to most of the people here.

I'd very much agree with giving our youngsters a run. I think if the club set out a vision and said we're willing to trust this group of players and over the next 3 - 5 years integrate them fans would buy into this ( for the most part).

It's a weird situation - I think he's benefiting as a person/individual and there are aspects to his game that have improved (he's better defensively, he's more versatile). But I think his momentum has been stop-start because he's been benched a lot due to not being as good defensively - although when he's played, he's often been in a forward position, which has been beneficial.

Yeah it's a strange one. On the one hand it's good to see him getting experience defensively but would be nice to see him get a bit of freedom to express himself. Don't think Nagelsmann plays that way and who knows maybe this is better for his development. In a weird way he's probably better off as Emery likes this out of his players and as Özil doesn't get a look in anymore players like Nelson will have to add more strings to their bow.

On an aside it will be interesting to see if Ben Knapper has a positive influence on our loan deals. I think the way young players are open to going abroad on loans or permanent moves shows we need to create opportunities or risk them walking (which I wouldn't blame them for).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
:lol: This game was amazing - was watching on my phone while Arsenal was on my laptop. Dortmund were winning 3-0 with Sancho having a worldie. Nelson comes on after 70 minutes and the game opened up a lot. It was kind of a coincidence - Nelson didn't have a direct hand in any of the goals.

He was, however, threatening when he came on and created a lot of space with his movement. Could have been different if he started the game but he wasn't the all-encompassing catalyst in the comeback :lol:.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, thought he was just behind the game a bit
He occupies a lot of different areas when he comes on, looking for possession. Doesn't get found often, but this is a problem with the entire Hoffenheim team - sometimes their passing is really bad and they don't pass to each other in promising situations very often. They're very flaky.

Still, this was an enormous result for them, great comeback. Encouraging that Nelson was on the field and looked good but I don't think he was involved enough to buy himself another start. He should start IMO anyway but I'm guessing he'll be on the bench again next week. Hopefully he starts. He was still quite threatening when coming on and helped Hoffenheim move the ball much quicker.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He occupies a lot of different areas when he comes on, looking for possession. Doesn't get found often, but this is a problem with the entire Hoffenheim team - sometimes their passing is really bad and they don't pass to each other in promising situations very often. They're very flaky.

Still, this was an enormous result for them, great comeback. Encouraging that Nelson was on the field and looked good but I don't think he was involved enough to buy himself another start. He should start IMO anyway but I'm guessing he'll be on the bench again next week. Hopefully he starts. He was still quite threatening when coming on and helped Hoffenheim move the ball much quicker.
yeah. He was on the right, then went to the left and again was central during the end.

They need to create a plan with him and get him the ball

HBL

Established Member
Just can't quite understand why they don't start Demirbay, Kramaric, Joelinton and Nelson together every game. Attacking football is what suits them because they are shambolic defensively, like genuinely they are one of the worst teams I've seen this season at the back.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

This annoys me about him, only because he has so much talent. He roams too much and watches for the ball instead of running off it. Needs to simplify his game and hug the byline... run off the pitch if necessary but stay as wide as possible until the final third.

Having said that yes I agree Hoffenheim aren't a very high IQ football team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just can't quite understand why they don't start Demirbay, Kramaric, Joelinton and Nelson together every game. Attacking football is what suits them because they are shambolic defensively, like genuinely they are one of the worst teams I've seen this season at the back.
Demirbay pisses me off more than anyone in that team, so inconsistent. There were people that wanted us to sign him :lol:. If I took any midfielder from Hoffenheim, it would be Grillitsch, not Demirbay!

Nagelsmann likes and trusts guys like Posch and Belfodil, so they often start ahead of Nelson. They're more physical players. Belfodil did well today in fairness to him, put himself about and caused damage, scoring 2 I believe. But I still think Nelson's in their best front 3 because of his endeavour on the ball and his goal-scoring. They just don't completely trust him yet, rightly or wrongly.

This annoys me about him, only because he has so much talent. He roams too much and watches for the ball instead of running off it. Needs to simplify his game and hug the byline... run off the pitch if necessary but stay as wide as possible until the final third.

Having said that yes I agree Hoffenheim aren't a very high IQ football team.

I think part of that is that his role isn't simple. He seemed to be playing a central role when he came on today, right up next to Joelinton (which I think is a good idea honestly, Nelson playing off Joelinton could be very dangerous) and dropping deep from time to time. I think he feels roaming more will get him more touches, which he is starved of in the team, but he tends to see less of the ball as a result. I think he needs to find a consistent pocket and occupy it for the time being, then make inroads when he has possession. His movement will also improve by learning when to roam and when to stick. He'll learn this with more game time - something he needs.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Joelinton is someone I would take off them. Quite intelligent and always a half-step ahead of the others while driblling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom