• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,155,660

HBL

Established Member
Willock has progressed well in the last year or so, certainly has a chance of making it here, particularly if he continues to adapt to playing the no 10 role.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is probably why Willock won't make it here.

He has Xhaka, Guendouzi, Torreira, and AMN all ahead of him. The average age of that unit is 22. I suppose there's a chance AMN could be converted into a fullback permanently which would see Willock move into that 4th spot.

It's also revealing that Willock was offered a loan to Luton whilst the likes of ESR and Nelson are going out on loan to Bundesliga clubs who compete for a position in the top 4.
AMN sadly doesn't seem to have an immediate future as a central midfielder under Emery so Willock pretty much slots into wherever Elneny would be - providing Elneny is sold of course.

Willock's a survivor - I always have my doubts about whether he can last for long at Arsenal but he continually improves beyond the levels set for him by others, including myself, which makes it difficult for me to rule him out. Both he and Nketiah have a resilience that belies their struggle for first team recognition and seem to have the right attitude. Willock in particular has not wilted in the dust behind Matteo Guendouzi - a player somewhat similar in skillset but perhaps not in the use of said skills. Willock's ability to make smart decisions on the ball is underrated and married with his returned impetus in attack, makes him a unique threat.

His loan situation is more due to style IMO. Nelson and Smith-Rowe are exciting and creative all-round attacking players, while Willock - no slouch at playing passes - isn't as dynamic but possesses the midfield drive, dribbling and competitiveness that English midfields love.

HBL

Established Member
There's a game tomorrow right? Against West Ham according to soccerway, hopefully Nketiah plays. Is Willock injured? Hasn't trained with the first team recently

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

AMN sadly doesn't seem to have an immediate future as a central midfielder under Emery so Willock pretty much slots into wherever Elneny would be - providing Elneny is sold of course.

Willock's a survivor - I always have my doubts about whether he can last for long at Arsenal but he continually improves beyond the levels set for him by others, including myself, which makes it difficult for me to rule him out. Both he and Nketiah have a resilience that belies their struggle for first team recognition and seem to have the right attitude. Willock in particular has not wilted in the dust behind Matteo Guendouzi - a player somewhat similar in skillset but perhaps not in the use of said skills. Willock's ability to make smart decisions on the ball is underrated and married with his returned impetus in attack, makes him a unique threat.

His loan situation is more due to style IMO. Nelson and Smith-Rowe are exciting and creative all-round attacking players, while Willock - no slouch at playing passes - isn't as dynamic but possesses the midfield drive, dribbling and competitiveness that English midfields love.

The biggest difference between Willock and AMN is the off field support imo .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
There's a game tomorrow right? Against West Ham according to soccerway, hopefully Nketiah plays. Is Willock injured? Hasn't trained with the first team recently

I may head to that as it's at Meadow Park. If I've got time anyway :lol:.

Willock is fine, I'd imagine he'll get some minutes for the U23s. Nketiah may get some minutes too but can't envisage it seeing as he's the back-up to Auba and Laca, who continue to play at the same time together, risking one to injury.

HBL

Established Member
I may head to that as it's at Meadow Park. If I've got time anyway :lol:.

Willock is fine, I'd imagine he'll get some minutes for the U23s. Nketiah may get some minutes too but can't envisage it seeing as he's the back-up to Auba and Laca, who continue to play at the same time together, risking one to injury.
Seeing Amaechi and Saka play together live :p

Sidenote, have you seen how well Reece James is doing this season? Wigan players/fans/manager/coaches are all raving about him, I imagine he'll be back up RB next season at Chelsea. Been playing some games in midfield as well I think.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Seeing Amaechi and Saka play together live :p

Sidenote, have you seen how well Reece James is doing this season? Wigan players/fans/manager/coaches are all raving about him, I imagine he'll be back up RB next season at Chelsea. Been playing some games in midfield as well I think.
I saw one game for Wigan while I was at work the other day and he looked as good as he always does. Really talented player, can play RB and CB, defends well, is physical but so, so good on the ball. Not surprised they're playing him in midfield - but I think at the top level, RB or CB is where he'll shine. He should be back-up RB in theory but it's Chelsea. They don't do right by their academy graduates normally so hopefully he does succeed.

As for seeing Saka and Amaechi live, it'll have to be another time (very annoyingly). I have seen them live already this season to be fair, but I was looking forward to going. Have had something come up and getting to Borehamwood now will be a pain in the ass. The lineup should be available in 10 mins though. I'm going with this:

Iliev
Osei-Tutu Pleguezuelo Medley Thompson
Gilmour Willock
Amaechi Burton Saka
Nketiah
John-Jules is still injured I think so it could be Nketiah OR it could be Flo Balogun, who has been very good so far this season and might creep up on John-Jules. Saying that, Balogun hasn't signed a deal so he could be one of a few scholars who jumps ship to attain regular football early on.

HBL

Established Member
I saw one game for Wigan while I was at work the other day and he looked as good as he always does. Really talented player, can play RB and CB, defends well, is physical but so, so good on the ball. Not surprised they're playing him in midfield - but I think at the top level, RB or CB is where he'll shine. He should be back-up RB in theory but it's Chelsea. They don't do right by their academy graduates normally so hopefully he does succeed.

As for seeing Saka and Amaechi live, it'll have to be another time (very annoyingly). I have seen them live already this season to be fair, but I was looking forward to going. Have had something come up and getting to Borehamwood now will be a pain in the ass.
If at least two of CHO, Ampadu and James aren't in their first team in 2-3 years time then they have failed massively.

Mkhi and Mavropanos are starting for the u23's tonight so who knows what the line up will be. Hopefully Mkhi as a 10, with Saka and Amaechi on the wings & Joe Willock in a slightly deeper role until Mkhi is subbed.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If at least two of CHO, Ampadu and James aren't in their first team in 2-3 years time then they have failed massively.

Mkhi and Mavropanos are starting for the u23's tonight so who knows what the line up will be. Hopefully Mkhi as a 10, with Saka and Amaechi on the wings & Joe Willock in a slightly deeper role until Mkhi is subbed.
Mhki starting?

Makes sense I guess. Mavro needs more mins aswell. That'll be a pretty strong lineup then.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ordered strangely. Does that mean Amaechi is the #10 tonight? Interesting if so - Jeorge Bird mentioned during his 1st scholar year that he could conceivably see him playing there on occasion.

Nketiah won't be starved of service tonight. Mhki is flaky but he should be good tonight returning. Saka and Amaechi are high volume chance creators with pace to hurt anyone and Willock has also been on fire.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm kind of annoyed I'm going to miss this match. Both teams score a lot and concede a lot. Could be a fun game.

As ever, Arsenal's academy coverage utterly sucks - no stream tonight. West Ham aren't streaming it either as it's an away game for them.

HBL

Established Member
Ordered strangely. Does that mean Amaechi is the #10 tonight? Interesting if so - Jeorge Bird mentioned during his 1st scholar year that he could conceivably see him playing there on occasion.

Nketiah won't be starved of service tonight. Mhki is flaky but he should be good tonight returning. Saka and Amaechi are high volume chance creators with pace to hurt anyone and Willock has also been on fire.
I think Mkhi is more suited to a number 10 role, rather than a typical winger anyway, especially considering the pace he has lost. One thing he remains very good at is finding little pockets of space between the lines so I hope he plays as 10, with Amaechi and Saka either side but who knows.

Willock has been brilliant recently as a 10 but I still think he has the attributes to play a deeper role as well, he could be a big asset for us in the future.

Top Bottom