• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Robert Pires: "Özil reminds me of Zidane"

Bellerin: "Özil is a born champion"

Wenger: "If you love football, you love Mesut Özil"

Mourinho: "Özil is unique, there is no copy of him"

Ronaldo: "The sale of Özil is very bad news for me"

Those are just a few. If I search I could find more, much more.

Say what you like about Özil's performances now but don't rewrite history and pretend that he didn't perform at an amazingly high level for years. He almost broke the premier league assist record feeding Giroud and only failed to do so because the Frenchman decided to go on a 15 game goal scoring drought.

On Beckham, it is telling that you named some of the best players (and Michael Owen) in English Football history to make your point on Beckham being overrated. If you have to point to the likes of Shearer and Lampard to go well Beckham wasn't that good, maybe you need to revise your opinion.
Not what people say in the media but actions. RM got rid of him for Bale, Modric and Kroos to go on to win multiple CLs. Germany played him out wide all through out the WC and put Kroos at no. 10 to win it where he practically did nothing. Özil along with Giroud who wasn't actually rubbish had Alexis and Walcott who have had good scoring records regardless of him.

:lol: My point was those players were rated lower than Beckham despite being much better players when you actually see them compared what we're supposed to believe. Was Beckham as good as them?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Not what people say in the media but actions. RM got rid of him for Bale, Modric and Kroos to go on to win multiple CLs. Germany played him out wide all through out the WC and put Kroos at no. 10 to win it where he practically did nothing. Özil along with Giroud who wasn't actually rubbish had Alexis and Walcott who have had good scoring records regardless of him.

:lol: My point was those players were rated lower than Beckham despite being much better players when you actually see them compared what we're supposed to believe. Was Beckham as good as them?

What is this revisionist history? Modric and Özil weren't competing for a position. Özil was sold to fit in Di Maria. Ancelotti himself said as much. Kroos wasn't even there at the time.

As far as the World Cup goes. He was their top scorer in qualifying. He scored the winner in the round of 16 and only Messi created more chances than he did. But yeah, practically nothing.

The only place where Beckham is rated higher than Shearer or Scholes is in the Beckham household and even that is a maybe.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
What is this revisionist history? Modric and Özil weren't competing for a position. Özil was sold to fit in Di Maria. Ancelotti himself said as much. Kroos wasn't even there at the time.

As far as the World Cup goes. He was their top scorer in qualifying. He scored the winner in the round of 16 and only Messi created more chances than he did. But yeah, practically nothing.

The only place where Beckham is rated higher than Shearer or Scholes is in the Beckham household and even that is a maybe.
They got rid of Özil for Di Maria and Modric. Yes, Kroos joined later but the point is the biggest club in the world decided to get rid of him in favour of other players and succeeded while Özil has mostly had an inconsistent time at Arsenal who's higher ups also want him gone.

Qualifying? :lol: Can you show me those chances?

Well, the general opinion re Beckham was like that from what I knew.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
They got rid of Özil for Di Maria and Modric. Yes, Kroos joined later but the point is the biggest club in the world decided to get rid of him in favour of other players and succeeded while Özil has mostly had an inconsistent time at Arsenal who's higher ups also want him gone.

Qualifying? :lol: Can you show me those chances?

Well, the general opinion re Beckham was like that from what I knew.

The biggest club in the world also got rid of Makelele, Robben, Di Maria Sneijder, Etoo, Seedorf and a whole host of quality players. Its Real Madrid, that is what they do.

I'm not trawling through hours of footage.

Perhaps back in the day Beckham was rated above Scholes but Scholes has been elevated to deity status since 2014 or so.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
The biggest club in the world also got rid of Makelele, Robben, Di Maria Sneijder, Etoo, Seedorf and a whole host of quality players. Its Real Madrid, that is what they do.

I'm not trawling through hours of footage.

Perhaps back in the day Beckham was rated above Scholes but Scholes has been elevated to deity status since 2014 or so.
All of them went on to big clubs and succeed at the highest level as protagonists even after.

Well, I'm going nowhere so you've got time.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
All of them went on to big clubs and succeed at the highest level as protagonists even after.

Well, I'm going nowhere so you've got time.

And where did Özil go? Dagenham and Redbridge? He has succeeded here as well. Three FA cups is a more than most players win. He also isn't the reason we didn't win anything more during his time here.

Good, since you're going nowhere you can do your own research.

Not sure how anyone didn't notice how far the goalpost was moved :lol:

I noticed but couldn't be bothered.

say yes

forum master baiter
And where did Özil go? Dagenham and Redbridge? He has succeeded here as well. Three FA cups is a more than most players win. He also isn't the reason we didn't win anything more during his time here.

Not sure I’d agree with the idea that Özil has succeeded here tbh.

He hasn’t flopped, but I wouldn’t say he’s properly lived up to expectations either. Interesting player in an interesting period for the club.

Am glad that I got to watch him play but equally not sure he was ever worth the fee paid and wouldn’t be too sad to see him go.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

He wasn't the reason we won them either. They went to clubs who competed for leagues and CL and won them.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Not sure I’d agree with the idea that Özil has succeeded here tbh.

He hasn’t flopped, but I wouldn’t say he’s properly lived up to expectations either. Interesting player in an interesting period for the club.

Am glad that I got to watch him play but equally not sure he was ever worth the fee paid and wouldn’t be too sad to see him go.

I'm not sure I blame Özil for any of that, he did what he could playing with the likes of Giroud, Xhaka, Mustafi, Cech and other mediocre players.

No one slags off Cesc for playing with Eboue, Denilson and Clichy yet failing to deliver anything major during his time here.

I think he was worth it but perhaps, he could have achieved even more.

He wasn't the reason we won them either. They went to clubs who competed for leagues and CL and won them.

Do you hate Özil? Genuine question

Özil was virtuoso in the final vs Chelsea. He got two assists in the Reading semi-final and scored against Everton in the 2014 cup run.

Özil didn't go to a club that competed for leagues and CL as much as I hate to say it. He did what he could, the entire club needed an overhaul and didn't get one. Its not his fault we bought no one but a declining Cech in 2015 and bottled a title challenge.

Last edited:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
:lol:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

You didn't notice it either? Not adding to the discussion just found that so funny.
What are you on about?

If you're gonna take what someone says in the media that literally and believe in it then you're most welcome.

Last edited:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I'm not sure I blame Özil for any of that, he did what he could playing with the likes of Giroud, Xhaka, Mustafi, Cech and other mediocre players.

No one slags off Cesc for playing with Eboue, Denilson and Clichy yet failing to deliver anything major during his time here.

Özil was virtuoso in the final vs Chelsea. He got two assists in the Reading semi-final and scored against Everton in the 2014 cup run.

Özil didn't go to a club that competed for leagues and CL as much as I hate to say it. He did what he could, the entire club needed an overhaul and didn't get one. Its not his fault we bought no one but a declining Cech in 2015 and bottled a title challenge.
You're in love with Özil.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Yeah, what I tried to say is during that time I saw way way better footballers but there was this wankfest over Beckham I couldn't understand. I mean the likes of Scholes, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs, Shearer etc if you're talking about English players seemed way better but everyone was so awkwardly drooling over him even though he practically just ran around and had a good delivery. The list of foreign players who looked better than him was enormous as well.

Özil is kind of like that in the sense that he seems to have these fanatics religiously believing he is the second coming of Zidane but its a complete myth when you see him most of the time. People whose opinions actually matter don't seem to rate him much either. His performances for Germany at early tournaments, at Werder and early parts at RM were great to good but then apart from patches its mostly nothing.

The ridiculous hype however for the both of them is just weird. And people fall for it like teenagers.
Beckham was a victim of his marketability. People over analysed him as a player because he got so much attention from the press for other stuff. I'd rather have Beckham in my side than all those other English players you mention. His application and consistency were ridiculous-- a level you rarely see in world football.

With Özil, the wankfest doesn't really extend further than Arsenal fans.

You're really strangely biased tbh. This whole post could be taken to pieces very easily, but it'd be pointless.

blaze_of_glory

Got an assist vs Everton too. Statsssssss

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
What are you on about?

If you're gonna take what someone says in the media that literally and believe in it then you're most welcome.

Which people's opinions were you on about? Where are you going to find those opinions?
Which opinions matter then?
Why is it now action?

Come on man, don't need to be explaining your posts. If you are going to criticize Özil and his history, at least be correct when doing so.

blaze_of_glory

Beckham was a victim of his marketability. People over analysed him as a player because he got so much attention from the press for other stuff. I'd rather have Beckham in my side than all those other English players you mention. His application and consistency were ridiculous-- a level you rarely see in world football.

With Özil, the wankfest doesn't really extend further than Arsenal fans.

You're really strangely biased tbh. This whole post could be taken to pieces very easily, but it'd be pointless.
I mean, this could easily be turned back on you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom