• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEconomist

Established Member
There's no doubt he was referring to Özil with those comments, maybe even Alexis Sanchez too. They're only human at the end of the day, they aren't immune to being complacent and lazy

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
This is true. Look how Arséne handled Giroud and Theo when the time had come to move them on. Had open honest discussions with them and promised to give them playing time to put themselves in the shoping window, and let them go to the clubs they wanted. He did what was best for the club and the players. What a great man.
One can argue we should have move Walcott years before we did it.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
That's pretty damning from Wenger. He can keep quiet though, as he'd still have played Özil regardless of his effort level. Players coasting is the residue left from his era.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
The big man has spoken. I think it’s fairly obvious to who he was reffering, he’s not the only one to question the commitment of Özil in training mind you. Where there’s smoke there’s usually fire.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sorry mate, but with the greatest of respect. What you're saying here is wrong.

The interview was conducted after Wenger received The Lifetime Achievement Award at The Laureus World Sports Awards in Monaco. That particular section of the interview (probably the whole thing but I haven't watched it all) was conducted entirely in English, and if you watch it he's quoted pretty much word for word by Sky.

The video of which you can find underneath (was quite simply to find, the top hit on Google after a 2 second search).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/s...raises-questions-Mesut-Özil-effort-level.html

I like Özil, but as I said, Wenger is a clever man and a diplomat.

He's dropped him in it.
Yeah I watched the sitdown this morning. He pointed out a few times not his place to talk about the Özil & Ramsey situations... think he was talking generally with the point.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah I watched the sitdown this morning. He pointed out a few times not his place to talk about the Özil & Ramsey situations... think he was talking generally with the point.

Yes agree he was asked basically what he thought of Özil not playing . He said he does not believe that the size of the contract should come into play in these decisions although there are sometimes exceptions and then he said it was not his place to comment.

He was more forthcoming and clear with Ramsey ... No financial problem and as far as he knew player wanted to stay and he repeated it as well .

Give it a few months and Wenger will fully open his mouth imo .

boyinneedofhumor

the saddest part is that we are probably losing Ramsey because of Mesut´s contract
Ramsey is 1 name in a squad, Özil is another. There are probably other names to follow later.

For me it's more worrying about letting players run down contracts on a free, that makes me wonder...

a. Is it because those in charge previously cannot decide if a player is worth or not extending, hence letting it stall?
b. And aren't confident of moving a player on if they're given a run but eventually deemed surplus?
c. Or thinks that saving on players' wages till final year of contract for renegotiation is a smarter move?
d. Or spun a lie about being able to buy anyone other than a Messi or Ronaldo, whilst deliberating if a cleaner's contract should be extended?

ChefMan21

Ramsey is 1 name in a squad, Özil is another. There are probably other names to follow later.

For me it's more worrying about letting players run down contracts on a free, that makes me wonder...

a. Is it because those in charge previously cannot decide if a player is worth or not extending, hence letting it stall?
b. And aren't confident of moving a player on if they're given a run but eventually deemed surplus?
c. Or thinks that saving on players' wages till final year of contract for renegotiation is a smarter move?
d. Or spun a lie about being able to buy anyone other than a Messi or Ronaldo, whilst deliberating if a cleaner's contract should be extended?
I find it to be our biggest and best players leaving, who are competitive by nature simply for the fact they are at or near the top of world football, which leads me to two conclusions:

1) There's not enough grassroots or top down competition to keep them honest.
2) we also aren't competing enough - and by competing I mean winning on occasion while getting within a few points or into the quarter finals every other year - for top trophies like the title and Champions League.

I don't think we can afford top down competition. Not without a massive stadium or an owner who is a bit looser with the purse strings. So for mine that leaves 1) purchasing youth players to develop them and to generate buy in toward the Arsenal culture, 2) making significant investments toward our youth infrastructure, and 3) growing the stadium when we can.

If that means shifting Özil to do that, then I'm all in.

ptrcopp

Nah I wouldn’t want him involved in the management side of things. You can’t expect someone who used to run the whole show to be happy suddenly being just a small cog in a broader operation. Even if he could contain himself, think his mere presence would end up undermining the manager; imagine the speculation everytime we hit some poor form. Not sure that negotiating / closing transfers is his greatest strength either!

Ferguson at United should be the model. A boardroom presence and club ambassador with some influence over club’s direction / major decisisons (e.g. new manager) but keeping well-away from interfering in the day-to-day administration. A clean break is important on so many levels.

And there’s even a danger with that. SAF has been a looming precence over all the managers.

GDeep™

League is very weak
This situation can be spun how you like. One can say Emery can’t seem to handle a player or character like Özil.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Interesting comparing the two managers styles here:

Wenger : "We think maybe Özil has a little problem with his immune system, and we are working on that"

Emery: "Tell this sick note motherf***er to get his weak ass down to the training ground ASAP"

You can expect the Özil PR machine fire back in a due course.
Really saddens me to see the state Arsenal FC is in TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom