• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I am all for fixing the defence here and now with real quality.

I don't think the importance of full backs can be overstated in modern football. We spend £60-70 on AWB and Tierney, add them to Kolasinac and Bellerin and we are arguably as strong as anyone in World football for some time to come.

Throw another £60-70 at Skriniar or someone of that ilk after we can get some money in from the likes of Chambers, Mustafi, Elneny, Monreal etc. to add to our budget. We would look incredibly solid at the back and would close the gap significantly on City and Liverpool.

I was all for getting a winger but with Mkhi looking much more like pre United Mkhi, Özil looking fitter and working harder and Nelson to come back I think we have enough offensive talent for now if it was ahead of a solid defence.
The problem we don't have 140M to get those guys. We definitely got alot of money but you have owner like ours the budget will be between 70-100M unless we got lucky and get 50M from Ospina mustafi elneny Chambers sales

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The problem we don't have 140M to get those guys. We definitely got alot of money but you have owner like ours the budget will be between 70-100M unless we got lucky and get 50M from Ospina mustafi elneny Chambers sales
But that is what he Said Yousif. "after we can get some money in from the likes of Chambers, Mustafi, Elneny, Monreal etc. to add to our budget."

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Yes, it will be. No way we offload so many. Can't see us offloading Nacho either.

Might not be up to us. He's been forthright about his desire to return to Spain. Its just a matter of us being able to get a decent fee for him from the likes of Sociedad/Bilbao.

Malky

Established Member
If Emery continues using this 3412 formation to incorporate both Lacazette and Aubameyang, then signing Wan-Bissaka will be essential for next season. AWB*, Bellerin, Kolasinac and Tierney** would be an incredible selection of attacking fullbacks to have.

TornadoTed

Established Member

It does sound somewhat unrealistic on the face of it but dive into the figures and it could be possible.

I think we could get £15-£20 each for Chambers and Mustafi. Surely Jenkinson, Monreal, Ospina & Elneny are worth a further £15-£20. That brings in between £45-£60m, that means we need between £80-95m to reach the £140m for AWB, Tierney and Skriniar.

Surely if we get Champions League we can stretch to that. Take the wages off the books of the likes of Ramsey, Welbeck and Cech and suddenly it sounds very achievable.

I honestly can't see it happening but my question then is why aren't we showing that level of ambition when it is achievable? I'm not talking about matching City, United spending, I'm not asking, God forbid for Stan to put in his own cash, just being ruthless and selling players who aren't good enough and investing that money in quality long term additions.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
It does sound somewhat unrealistic on the face of it but dive into the figures and it could be possible.

I think we could get £15-£20 each for Chambers and Mustafi. Surely Jenkinson, Monreal, Ospina & Elneny are worth a further £15-£20. That brings in between £45-£60m, that means we need between £80-95m to reach the £140m for AWB, Tierney and Skriniar.

Surely if we get Champions League we can stretch to that. Take the wages off the books of the likes of Ramsey, Welbeck and Cech and suddenly it sounds very achievable.

I honestly can't see it happening but my question then is why aren't we showing that level of ambition when it is achievable? I'm not talking about matching City, United spending, I'm not asking, God forbid for Stan to put in his own cash, just being ruthless and selling players who aren't good enough and investing that money in quality long term additions.

Fulham and Wolves have spent in excess of 60m (allegedly 100m for Fulham). We can afford to sort our defence out.

say yes

forum master baiter
It won’t happen but I reckon shipping Bellerin to Barça or Juve could account for about 75% of the cost of signing AWB.

Hector would clearly be game for that move and we’d be upgrading him with a generational talent. Win-win for everybody.

Jae

It won’t happen but I reckon shipping Bellerin to Barça or Juve could account for about 75% of the cost of signing AWB.

I don't think he's going anywhere to be honest mate. He's openly said he feels more English than Spanish at times. He loves it here.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

you make it sound like no one is doing any good job for us when it comes to selling and replacing.
do lets stick to this season...

Nacho wasn't a deadwood cause we wanted him to be one of our two LB's.

You cant sell Jenko who hasn't played in a while and is on a above average contract for anyone to take him.

Lich was signed to be our rb backup thos season.

Elneny didn't want to leave and you can't and shouldn't force a player out on a contract.
Chambers didnt have that much value in the summer so signing him and loaning was a great move.

We got Papa in, and whit a limited budget it was hard to sell Mustafi in the same window and get a proper replacement.

if anything, we actually showed ruthlessness. loaned players that needed it, got the players we need,and we havent settled for average.

so, I am sorry but we are more ruthless then before and if anything, our new start should be looked at optimistically.
if you wanna go back a few years, then yeah, we didnt show enough back then, but to mix that with a new
managment and their ''ruthlessness" is just wrong

TornadoTed

Established Member
you make it sound like no one is doing any good job for us when it comes to selling and replacing.
do lets stick to this season...

Nacho wasn't a deadwood cause we wanted him to be one of our two LB's.

You cant sell Jenko who hasn't played in a while and is on a above average contract for anyone to take him.

Lich was signed to be our rb backup thos season.

Elneny didn't want to leave and you can't and shouldn't force a player out on a contract.
Chambers didnt have that much value in the summer so signing him and loaning was a great move.

We got Papa in, and whit a limited budget it was hard to sell Mustafi in the same window and get a proper replacement.

if anything, we actually showed ruthlessness. loaned players that needed it, got the players we need,and we havent settled for average.

so, I am sorry but we are more ruthless then before and if anything, our new start should be looked at optimistically.
if you wanna go back a few years, then yeah, we didnt show enough back then, but to mix that with a new
managment and their ''ruthlessness" is just wrong

I didn't mean it to come over that way, I thought our business last summer was excellent for the position we were in, facing a second season in the Europa League. Apart from Lich every signing and decision was spot on including securing Chambers on a longer deal and loaning him out to put him in the shop window. You are absolutely correct on Mustafi and Elneny, they were required as cover this season. I also don't want to abandon shrewd and under the radar signings like Sokratis and Torreira who have both been excellent. I know we can't make every signing a £50m one, I am proud that our squad has guys like Holding who cost £1m and Elneny who cost £5m.

I was talking about what I would like to see this summer and going forwards if we secure Champions League qualification. If we are to close the gap on Liverpool and City and go beyond scrapping for 3rd and 4th we need to be even more ruthless and focus on quality over quantity. I actually think we have a pretty good team, much better than some people think, to the point where it is hard to upgrade on the players we have without bringing in some special level players.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think we should buy this guy.

Only at Arsenal do we hang on to players and refuse to buy potential improvements.

Look at Barcelona, Rakitic, Coutinho, Busquets and Arthur all capable of playing in midfield and they still go out and buy De Jong. City will probably get 95+ points and are looking at Saul. Liverpool have a great front three and are rumoured to want Dyabala

Forget about the prices involved, just the ambition to improve on what they have is something I wish we had.

Anywhere we can potentially improve the squad, do it. Its not like we're 1 point off the league and a force at Europe's top table. I know we all like our players but given where we've finished the past few years, we can improve on them.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think we should buy this guy.

Only at Arsenal do we hang on to players and refuse to buy potential improvements.

Look at Barcelona, Rakitic, Coutinho, Busquets and Arthur all capable of playing in midfield and they still go out and buy De Jong. City will probably get 95+ points and are looking at Saul. Liverpool have a great front three and are rumoured to want Dyabala

Forget about the prices involved, just the ambition to improve on what they have is something I wish we had.

Anywhere we can potentially improve the squad, do it. Its not like we're 1 point off the league and a force at Europe's top table. I know we all like our players but given where we've finished the past few years, we can improve on them.

It’s not that simple though, all those clubs have the means to buy those players.

If we’re hamstrung by FFP and an owner who won’t put his own money in then it’s a pipe dream.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
It’s not that simple though, all those clubs have the means to buy those players.

If we’re hamstrung by FFP and an owner who won’t put his own money in then it’s a pipe dream.

I said in my post its not about the money for me. I can't remember who it was but someone on here said that we would need to spend 70M pounds to improve on Mustafi. With the implication being that because we can't afford that sum, we should just stick with the German.

I don't expect us to go out and spend 70M on a CB or 90M on a 19 year old kid from the Dutch league.

I don't want us to do nothing either. There is a middle ground.

Just because those clubs are richer than us, doesn't mean we shouldn't TRY to improve the squad via youth signings and smart buys. If we took a punt on some Bundesliga defender from Stuttgart or Hoffenheim, I would be fine with it, even if he didn't work out. Because the intent to improve the squad was there.

Our problem is that we keep our bad buys too long and make them lose all their value. Chelsea saw Bakoyoko wasn't working out and loaned him out to Milan after 1 year. We almost never do that.

Throwing our hands up in the year and going well we can't afford to bring in someone who is absolute world-class in his position right now so might as well stick with what we have and do nothing, is what led to summer 2015. I'm sure no one needs a reminder on how that season went.

At least try to do something, even if it doesn't work out. I think I will tear my hair out if the club doesn't buy another CB this summer. We don't need De Ligt or Kouibailly. There is a reason we have a scouting system in place and pay our scouts. Find the next De Ligt before everyone else does.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I said in my post its not about the money for me. I can't remember who it was but someone on here said that we would need to spend 70M pounds to improve on Mustafi. With the implication being that because we can't afford that sum, we should just stick with the German.

I don't expect us to go out and spend 70M on a CB or 90M on a 19 year old kid from the Dutch league.

I don't want us to do nothing either. There is a middle ground.

Just because those clubs are richer than us, doesn't mean we shouldn't TRY to improve the squad via youth signings and smart buys. If we took a punt on some Bundesliga defender from Stuttgart or Hoffenheim, I would be fine with it, even if he didn't work out. Because the intent to improve the squad was there.

Our problem is that we keep our bad buys too long and make them lose all their value. Chelsea saw Bakoyoko wasn't working out and loaned him out to Milan after 1 year. We almost never do that.

Throwing our hands up in the year and going well we can't afford to bring in someone who is absolute world-class in his position right now so might as well stick with what we have and do nothing, is what led to summer 2015. I'm sure no one needs a reminder on how that season went.

At least try to do something, even if it doesn't work out. I think I will tear my hair out if the club doesn't buy another CB this summer. We don't need De Ligt or Kouibailly. There is a reason we have a scouting system in place and pay our scouts. Find the next De Ligt before everyone else does.

I mean you did say Barca are showing ambition by getting De Jong, Pool with Dybala and City with Saul.

Those three would all get huge transfer fees so ambition can only go so far with those?

I think the club has been buying smartly, our summer business was really good this year. It has shown ambition.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Wan-Bissaka is a promising young talent, but far from the finished product (he offers very little offensively beyond pace in transition). Unless Arsenal is concerned that Bellerin's injury is somehow career-threatening (which doesn't at all seem to be the case), I just don't see the point. They have other positions along the back line (i.e., all of them) that are more in need. So I suspect this is all just paper talk. But we'll see.

benjamin86

Established Member
Surprised he's not starting for England U21's tonight...

Maybe that means he's joining up with the seniors?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Wan-Bissaka is a promising young talent, but far from the finished product (he offers very little offensively beyond pace in transition).

Playing for a club bottom five in possession & passing though. I would expect him to develop / showcase the offensive qualities of his game at a bigger club... He moved back from a attacking position according to interviews.

If we dont go in this summer sure another top six club will. The guy is playing to his level just 30 odd games into his pro career.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Playing for a club bottom five in possession & passing though. I would expect him to develop / showcase the offensive qualities of his game at a bigger club... He moved back from a attacking position according to interviews.

If we dont go in this summer sure another top six club will. The guy is playing to his level just 30 odd games into his pro career.

Oh, absolutely. The potential is there, but as I said, he's not the finished product yet. He's not going to give Arsenal what Bellerin does going forward.

And I'm not sure Arsenal should be going after a player just to keep everyone else from getting him. He's just not a player Arsenal needs (or will need once Bellerin, who just seemed to be getting it all together before he was injured, is healthy). City might be able to buy £40 million players just to keep rivals from getting them, but Arsenal doesn't have that kind of money. They need to focus on a few other positions first. Not that I'd not welcome him, but I just can't see an expensive right-back as a priority for this team in 2019.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom