• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasBootist

Why would we replace a senior player with someone who isn't even making the bench for the first XI?
All I'm suggesting is saving money on a Ramsey replacement (so in a few months time) by promoting a player too good for reserve football.

Hardly rocket science

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I didn't think he was bad at all. I usually nail him on a bad performance too. Few times he released AMN on the wing. Kept the ball moving and involved Ramsey which was the key.
Those releases to the right wing were lovely, but he really was sloppy otherwise. I was at the stadium and paid a great deal of attention to him.

Sloppy passes in the centre of the pitch and his complete lack of a right foot really hinders our options.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
The way we won vs. Man. Utd reminded me a lot of the games during our autumn run, when we would usually win but win ugly and people (and... statistics :lol:) predicted that a turn in luck was around the corner for us. In fact it really wasn't, as that run lasted quite a while longer than it was expected to, and the losses that came after it were mainly caused by fatigue, odd tactical decisions (see: final paragraph) and injuries.

Now that Emery has been here for some time we can seen the improvement he's brought more clearly, but it is difficult to argue that the "slugfest" approach to games has been left behind. I had been insisting since day one that this is his favoured brand of football, inviting pressure high up the pitch by the opposition as well as applying it, keeping the middle third congested (and this is why he needs small players that are great in tight spaces) in order to encourage both teams to (by)pass the midfield quickly, taking the game to a seemingly chaotic contest of which team has better control of spaces, which set of attackers takes hasty/unexpected chances better, which defensive unit hounds & isolates the attackers running at it with the most efficiency, etc. And of course Unai also trains his players to be able to operate the best under these conditions, giving his team an advantage on this landscape. This is not the only type of football you will see from an Emery team, especially not at PSG. He can play in other ways, but back at Sevilla, and now at Arsenal too, this is how he got the best of results.

This approach is mainly based on the Basque school's philosophy of "crude," abrupt, zonal passing game & rough individual challenges (Bilbao and Sociedad still showcase what that is all about,) but with added influence by the La Masia revolution of tiki-taka and coordinated closing down making it a bit more refined and suited to the highest level.

The difference between now and September is the back 3 formation, which changes the dynamics. In my opinion, 3-4-1-2 is more suitable as long as the style clicks. The problems with that formation start when we apply it against weaker PL opposition and try to play around (instead of over or through) their midfield, like we tried in a few games right after that successful NLD showing at the Emirates. That game plan was great vs. Sp**s but should never be used against teams that don't have a similarly expansive mindset, as they will never allow the space in the final third for it to work.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The way we won vs. Man. Utd reminded me a lot of the games during our autumn run, when we would usually win but win ugly and people (and... statistics :lol:) predicted that a turn in luck was around the corner for us. In fact it really wasn't, as that run lasted quite a while longer than it was expected to, and the losses that came after it were mainly caused by fatigue, odd tactical decisions (see: final paragraph) and injuries.

Now that Emery has been here for some time we can seen the improvement he's brought more clearly, but it is difficult to argue that the "slugfest" approach to games has been left behind. I had been insisting since day one that this is his favoured brand of football, inviting pressure high up the pitch by the opposition as well as applying it, keeping the middle third congested (and this is why he needs small players that are great in tight spaces) in order to encourage both teams to (by)pass the midfield quickly, taking the game to a seemingly chaotic contest of which team has better control of spaces, which set of attackers takes hasty/unexpected chances better, which defensive unit hounds & isolates the attackers running at it with the most efficiency, etc. And of course Unai also trains his players to be able to operate the best under these conditions, giving his team an advantage on this landscape. This is not the only type of football you will see from an Emery team, especially not at PSG. He can play in other ways, but back at Sevilla, and now at Arsenal too, this is how he got the best of results.

This approach is mainly based on the Basque school's philosophy of "crude," abrupt, zonal passing game & rough individual challenges (Bilbao and Sociedad still showcase what that is all about,) but with added influence by the La Masia revolution of tiki-taka and coordinated closing down making it a bit more refined and suited to the highest level.

The difference between now and September is the back 3 formation, which changes the dynamics. In my opinion, 3-4-1-2 is more suitable as long as the style clicks. The problems with that formation start when we apply it against weaker PL opposition and try to play around (instead of over or through) their midfield, like we tried in a few games right after that successful NLD showing at the Emirates. That game plan was great vs. Sp**s but should never be used against teams that don't have a similarly expansive mindset, as they will never allow the space in the final third for it to work.
Holy moses, what a post!

DasBootist

Yup, which is also hardly rocket science.
Do these same posters who call for these ludicrous decisions moan when we're nowhere near the title? Bizarre. As if it was their money, LOL
Our academy has some highly talented players who have the ability to contribute to the first team. Joe Willock is one of them.

I shouldn't have to explain that to an Arsenal supporter.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Our academy has some highly talented players who have the ability to contribute to the first team. Joe Willock is one of them.

I shouldn't have to explain that to an Arsenal supporter.
Joe Willock is not on the same level as Aaron Ramsey. I shouldn't have to explain that to a football fan.
Please remind me how many premier league games Joe Willock has played.... Sounds like a bloody fantastic idea.... Replace last year's player of the season with a kid who has like ten minutes league experience. WTF!

DasBootist

Joe Willock is not on the same level as Aaron Ramsey. I shouldn't have to explain that to a football fan.
I didn't imply such a notion. Willock is a player with more upside than Ramsey due to his youth. Instead of spending a chunk of our budget on a midfielder I simply suggested trusting a reserve in red hot form atm.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I didn't imply such a notion. Willock is a player with more upside than Ramsey due to his youth. Instead of spending a chunk of our budget on a midfielder I simply suggested trusting a reserve in red hot form atm.
Regardless of whether you implied it or not. How the hell do you expect us to compete with a reserve player who has had zero PL experience thus far. Do you even realise what a huge step it is from the reserves to the PL... Clearly you do not.

We're in the midst of a massive transition and these types of stop gaps simply will not work. All of our rivals will upgrade and you want to go backwards to 'save a little cash'. It's madness.
We should be getting rid of players like Elneny to make room for Willock. Ramsey is and has been a vital player for years.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Regardless of whether you implied it or not. How the hell do you expect us to compete with a reserve player who has had zero PL experience thus far. Do you even realise what a huge step it is from the reserves to the PL... Clearly you do not.

We're in the midst of a massive transition and these types of stop gaps simply will not work. All of our rivals will upgrade and you want to go backwards to 'save a little cash'. It's madness.
We should be getting rid of players like Elneny to make room for Willock. Ramsey is and has been a vital player for years.
Isco, Luis Alberto, Verratti, Casemiro, Saul, Tonali, Weigl, Locatelli.

Would be nice if we can replace Ramsey and Elneny with two of the above.

Last edited:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Isco, Luis Alberto, Verratti, Casemiro, Saul, Tonali, Weigl, Locatelli.

Would be nice if we can replace Ramsey and Elneny with two of the above.

In what kind of world do you live? Isco, Verratti, Casemiro, Saul to Arsenal? :lol:

Weigl has dropped off seriously and has been mostly used by Favre as a CB this season.

Locatelli and Tonali will stay put or end up at one of the big Italian clubs.

Luis Alberto is the only reasonable name here.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
In what kind of world do you live? Isco, Verratti, Casemiro, Saul to Arsenal? :lol:

Weigl has dropped off seriously and has been mostly used by Favre as a CB this season.

Locatelli and Tonali will stay put or end up at one of the big Italian clubs.

Luis Alberto is the only reasonable name here.
We have been linked to some of them previously, so I wouldn’t say there’s no possibility signing them. The same thing could be said before Sanchez and Özil was joining.

And Weigl would suddenly forgets how to play as a midfielder just because he was played as a CB this season?

By the way, well done predicting the future on Locatelli and Tonali, you may attach a screenshot of your source here from your football manager save.

Last edited:
The only way to introduce any youth or reserve player, is to have them as a back up for an already establish player playing at that position. This itself is a very risky situation, but we are not Mancity, can't have 2 established players for every position. But , that's a gamble you take. Injury and you hope that your youth backup will step up. If not, then you look into the transfer market. The more positive scenario would be, he comes on in the 80th odd minute and play well and impress the boss. That's how it goes , cause the stakes are very high for a club like Arsenal.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The only way to introduce any youth or reserve player, is to have them as a back up for an already establish player playing at that position. This itself is a very risky situation, but we are not Mancity, can't have 2 established players for every position. But , that's a gamble you take. Injury and you hope that your youth backup will step up. If not, then you look into the transfer market. The more positive scenario would be, he comes on in the 80th odd minute and play well and impress the boss. That's how it goes , cause the stakes are very high for a club like Arsenal.
That's how it should go, but if we are 2-0 up at home vs Cardiff, Emery gives those last 10 minutes to Elneny or Lich making it impossible for youngsters to impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom