• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
Some people really love hyping up stuff.
I was at a friend's yesterday having BBQ and watching the EL games. Everyone was completely neutral towards Arsenal. They really don't care apart from general interest in football; like no one of them is a fan of another english club so there's no bias. Almost all of them watch a lot of football or play football.
Every single one of them said that Arsenal were playing ****, had a **** squad and a **** manager. And it's hit me a bit but it's mostly true. Couple of years ago Arsenal were at least playing great footy and then dying in beauty and there was respect, but the last two Wenger seasons were horrible and Emery honestly isn't making it any better. If you put down the tainted glasses for a sec, it's all basically just as **** as last season. We had nice games and wins in Wenger's last season, too, you know.

Let me get this straight, some randoms who have no interest in Arsenal, likely watch none or very few of our games, likely know very little about the club decided that we were playing **** (we weren't) and have a **** squad and a **** manager (we don't). You've got fans of Tottenham and Utd and plenty of other teams who are fully biased against Arsenal who have praised Arsenal and Emery this season and yet your friends based on feck knows what decided we were complete ****? What does that tell you about your friends? It tells me they are absolutely clueless and the fact that you not only took on board what they said but agree with it is genuinely laughable.
Couple of years ago Arsenal were at least playing great footy and then dying in beauty and there was respect, but the last two Wenger seasons were horrible and Emery honestly isn't making it any better. If you put down the tainted glasses for a sec, it's all basically just as **** as last season. We had nice games and wins in Wenger's last season, too, you know.

Where has this idea that all we've been doing this season is play bad football come from? We've had great games and bad games, the difference being that we actually win some of our bad ones this season. Couple of years ago we would play some good football, when teams would let us, and then some of the most horribly boring football in recent memory, every single big game consisted of me wondering how many we would get battered by this time. I barely remember all those games where we apparently played great football but i can remember all the games where teams destroyed us as we tried to play our brand of sterile football. I don't know what respect you're referring to because all i can remember is the embarrassment and other people ****ting on the club, we lost most of the respect we had a long time ago and all that was left was everyone agreeing that Arsenal needed to change and change the way it played or it would be left behind. And lo and behold we were left behind.

That you can say with a straight face this season is no better makes it painfully obvious that you are the one with rose tinted* glasses, or whatever the opposite would be. It's crazy to me that despite the fact that we are better in almost every aspect you can genuinely say we are the same. There are literal facts to show that we obviously are not, or just use your eyes? We don't just have nice games and wins, don't try and downplay our vastly improved performances against our direct rivals for top four. I mean ffs we should have taken 6 point of all three of the other teams competing for third/fourth and were the better team in almost every game against them, having lost only one game, which we should have won. This despite the fact that for a majority of the season we have missed half of our starting defence. We've already improved our points total and are likely to finish with one of our higher points totals in the last decade. But nah no improvement whatsoever, exactly the same as last season.
Saying this is progress is like saying Stuttgart are doing great staying in the relegation spot while failing to address the -34 goal difference and 21 points, this being probably the worst Bundesliga season ever and VfB only not being last because there's two teams who are even more ****ed up.
Make no mistake, if United and Chelsea weren't such ****shows of clubs this season, Arsenal would definitely miss the CL. **** me, progress. Guys cling to every straw to make this seem some grand achievement of Emery and like this is a super exciting project. Well, it just isn't right now. For example Ajax is. This isn't.

Your Stuttgart example is just stupid and isn't even worth going over, the two situations aren't even comparable and whatever point you were trying to make fails badly.
The average points total for 4th place in the PL era is around 69 points, all four teams are likely to finish with a a fair bit more points than that, there is a good chance that whoever finishes 4th does so with one of the highest ever points tallies for 4th place so the suggestion that if Arsenal were to get 4th, or even higher, is all down to other teams being **** is just wrong. Your unwillingness to give any credit to our team and our manager is inane.
And I know there will be a ton of people now having a go at me looking at the smallest and most insignificant things saying I have an agenda or don't like Emery for whatever reasons - a man I couldn't be more indifferent toward - saying what the man's doing is like winning the World Cup and he's omg the best ever and like such a great manager and you know he's got such a nice name with a deep meaning....I mean, come on guys. And you know I'm not making this up, there have seriously and ridiculously been people who were arguing for the guy with the translated meaning of his middle or second last name or whatever. I've more than ever come to face it after watching an Arsenal match with neutral fans that right now this isn't going anywhere really. Hope next season will be different, with or without Emery, couldn't care less if he gets to stay or has to go right now.
People aren't looking at the smallest and most insignificant things to show you have some sort of bizarre agenda, your entire fecking post screams of it. Literally no one is saying what he is doing is like winning the world cup, or that he is the best ever, stop making **** up. It's just people being happy with what they think is a competent manager, a manager who at the start of the season according to most 'experts' and fans of other teams was made in charge of comfortably the worst team of the top 6, something which even most Arsenal fans agreed with, that is how poor the perception of our team had become and to a lot of people still is. Expectations were at an all time low. So the fact then that this manager was able to have this team not only challenging for top 4 but looking likely to be in it, as well as likely to be in a European final whilst also improving almost every other area, all in his first season, is praiseworthy. And praising him is exactly what people are doing, something you very weirdly seem to have a problem with, to the point at which you would exaggerate about the praise he has been given and ignore the fact that he has had plenty of criticism as well.

Not everything has been great this season, obviously, but considering our budget/status and expectations at the start of the season it has been more than acceptable and i personally think it has been very good for a first season, at least so far. I was completely unaware that people expected us to be playing beautiful football and challenge for the title in our first season with a new manager after decades of having the same one. People forget what Klopps and Guardiolas first and even second seasons were like, they also forget just how badly an even bigger club than ours has fallen after their long term manager left, despite pumping hundreds of millions into their team.

So then for everything you have written to make it sound like we are languishing in 10th place playing like the stoke of old is just wrong. Your entire post is filled with exaggerations and falsities and frankly comes off as incredibly moronic, irrational and delusional. The strangest post i've seen on here in a long while, which is an achievement. Others have already replied making similar points but this post was so hilarious i couldn't help but waste my time replying as well.

Tom349

I was at a friend's yesterday having BBQ and watching the EL games. Everyone was completely neutral towards Arsenal. They really don't care apart from general interest in football; like no one of them is a fan of another english club so there's no bias. Almost all of them watch a lot of football or play football.

Every single one of them said that Arsenal were playing ****, had a **** squad and a **** manager. And it's hit me a bit but it's mostly true. Couple of years ago Arsenal were at least playing great footy and then dying in beauty and there was respect, but the last two Wenger seasons were horrible and Emery honestly isn't making it any better. If you put down the tainted glasses for a sec, it's all basically just as **** as last season. We had nice games and wins in Wenger's last season, too, you know.

Saying this is progress is like saying Stuttgart are doing great staying in the relegation spot while failing to address the -34 goal difference and 21 points, this being probably the worst Bundesliga season ever and VfB only not being last because there's two teams who are even more ****ed up.

Make no mistake, if United and Chelsea weren't such ****shows of clubs this season, Arsenal would definitely miss the CL. **** me, progress. Guys cling to every straw to make this seem some grand achievement of Emery and like this is a super exciting project. Well, it just isn't right now. For example Ajax is. This isn't. And I know there will be a ton of people now having a go at me looking at the smallest and most insignificant things saying I have an agenda or don't like Emery for whatever reasons - a man I couldn't be more indifferent toward - saying what the man's doing is like winning the World Cup and he's omg the best ever and like such a great manager and you know he's got such a nice name with a deep meaning....I mean, come on guys. And you know I'm not making this up, there have seriously and ridiculously been people who were arguing for the guy with the translated meaning of his middle or second last name or whatever. I've more than ever come to face it after watching an Arsenal match with neutral fans that right now this isn't going anywhere really. Hope next season will be different, with or without Emery, couldn't care less if he gets to stay or has to go right now.

Hilarious some of the abuse you're copping. One would think we have already sewn up a top four spot and won the Europa, which to be fair we very well positioned to do so and should be doing so given our position. But lets say we don't get either top 4 or win Europa league, or even just one of those. Is that enough to be considered a successful season? Is it enough to blindly back Emery going forward or if someone more recognised and better CV becomes available do we pounce on that opportunity. I would consider it a major disappointment should we fail to do both let alone getting one of top four or winning Europa and I don't think regardless of winning or losing Emery has done enough to warrant backing should a better option become available. In saying that he does deserve another season with potentially better wide options should no one better become available. I think one of the biggest issues on the site at the moment is the lack of expectation and the idea of Emery being better than Moyes is considered a success. So keep fighting the battle.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Let me get this straight, some randoms who have no interest in Arsenal, likely watch none or very few of our games, likely know very little about the club decided that we were playing **** (we weren't) and have a **** squad and a **** manager (we don't). You've got fans of Tottenham and Utd and plenty of other teams who are fully biased against Arsenal who have praised Arsenal and Emery this season and yet your friends based on feck knows what decided we were complete ****? What does that tell you about your friends? It tells me they are absolutely clueless and the fact that you not only took on board what they said but agree with it is genuinely laughable.

Where has this idea that all we've been doing this season is play bad football come from? We've had great games and bad games, the difference being that we actually win some of our bad ones this season. Couple of years ago we would play some good football, when teams would let us, and then some of the most horribly boring football in recent memory, every single big game consisted of me wondering how many we would get battered by this time. I barely remember all those games where we apparently played great football but i can remember all the games where teams destroyed us as we tried to play our brand of sterile football. I don't know what respect you're referring to because all i can remember is the embarrassment and other people ****ting on the club, we lost most of the respect we had a long time ago and all that was left was everyone agreeing that Arsenal needed to change and change the way it played or it would be left behind. And lo and behold we were left behind.

That you can say with a straight face this season is no better makes it painfully obvious that you are the one with rose tinted* glasses, or whatever the opposite would be. It's crazy to me that despite the fact that we are better in almost every aspect you can genuinely say we are the same. There are literal facts to show that we obviously are not, or just use your eyes? We don't just have nice games and wins, don't try and downplay our vastly improved performances against our direct rivals for top four. I mean ffs we should have taken 6 point of all three of the other teams competing for third/fourth and were the better team in almost every game against them, having lost only one game, which we should have won. This despite the fact that for a majority of the season we have missed half of our starting defence. We've already improved our points total and are likely to finish with one of our higher points totals in the last decade. But nah no improvement whatsoever, exactly the same as last season.

Your Stuttgart example is just stupid and isn't even worth going over, the two situations aren't even comparable and whatever point you were trying to make fails badly.
The average points total for 4th place in the PL era is around 69 points, all four teams are likely to finish with a a fair bit more points than that, there is a good chance that whoever finishes 4th does so with one of the highest ever points tallies for 4th place so the suggestion that if Arsenal were to get 4th, or even higher, is all down to other teams being **** is just wrong. Your unwillingness to give any credit to our team and our manager is inane.

People aren't looking at the smallest and most insignificant things to show you have some sort of bizarre agenda, your entire fecking post screams of it. Literally no one is saying what he is doing is like winning the world cup, or that he is the best ever, stop making **** up. It's just people being happy with what they think is a competent manager, a manager who at the start of the season according to most 'experts' and fans of other teams was made in charge of comfortably the worst team of the top 6, something which even most Arsenal fans agreed with, that is how poor the perception of our team had become and to a lot of people still is. Expectations were at an all time low. So the fact then that this manager was able to have this team not only challenging for top 4 but looking likely to be in it, as well as likely to be in a European final whilst also improving almost every other area, all in his first season, is praiseworthy. And praising him is exactly what people are doing, something you very weirdly seem to have a problem with, to the point at which you would exaggerate about the praise he has been given and ignore the fact that he has had plenty of criticism as well.

Not everything has been great this season, obviously, but considering our budget/status and expectations at the start of the season it has been more than acceptable and i personally think it has been very good for a first season, at least so far. I was completely unaware that people expected us to be playing beautiful football and challenge for the title in our first season with a new manager after decades of having the same one. People forget what Klopps and Guardiolas first and even second seasons were like, they also forget just how badly an even bigger club than ours has fallen after their long term manager left, despite pumping hundreds of millions into their team.

So then for everything you have written to make it sound like we are languishing in 10th place playing like the stoke of old is just wrong. Your entire post is filled with exaggerations and falsities and frankly comes off as incredibly moronic, irrational and delusional. The strangest post i've seen on here in a long while, which is an achievement. Others have already replied making similar points but this post was so hilarious i couldn't help but waste my time replying as well.
I’m afraid you are wasting your time by speaking sense to him.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
And if Emery had an Alexis and a Cazorla in prime form, I think we would have played a more attractive football too.

There is a lack of technical ability, of width in our team.
we lost Alexis and gained probably the best striker of Europe.

We also gained first choice gk and Torreira, who is quite similar to Caz per many of the A-Mers.

My point is that we are simply performing as expected from our expensive squad. Emery hasn't made any progress yet in terms of aesthetics or personality

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

A manager that can get the best out of a squad, not just his best 11. A bit more luck with injuries, a few additions in key areas, who would you back more to manage a squad? I want Mesut to play every game, but that way he won’t show his best for the whole season. You perform you’re in, you don’t you’re out. Every game you see him manage player’s time, thinking also about the next game, and I love it.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
we lost Alexis and gained probably the best striker of Europe.

We also gained first choice gk and Torreira, who is quite similar to Caz per many of the A-Mers.

My point is that we are simply performing as expected from our expensive squad. Emery hasn't made any progress yet in terms of aesthetics or personality

Alexis is a much more complete player than Aubameyang, without a doubt.

Aubameyang is a world class goal scorer but a very limited player. Alexis (when on form) still hasn't been replaced. He could beat a man on 1vs1, make a brillant assist, score a solo goal on his own, hold up the ball. All these things Auba can't do.

And while I love Torreira, he is a very different player from Santi. Cazorla was on another level in terms of technical ability whereas Torreira is much much better at defensive duties.
Lucas is much closer to Kanté than he is to Santi.

There is an obvious lack of technical abilities in the squad if you want to see our beautiful football back.
Aubameyang is very limited, Iwobi Mkhitaryan are too inconsistent, Xhaka isn't good enough under pressure and in small spaces, Ramsey's technique is very unreliable he can do great things but also misses a lot of basic things.

Imo only Lacazette (even though he is no RVP), Özil, and Torreira (if played as the more defensive minded CM) have the technical ability to play a sexy football in a consistent basis.

If we get a very good winger this summer and a gifted CM, things might improve dramatically.

This is still a process. You don't go from playing an awful football (last year) and getting mediocre results, and changing a culture that has been there for 22 years, in just a few players and a summer.

We've seen progress in terms of personality though. We've been competitive in every big game we've played this season, except at anfield but we've had so many injuries and so many stupid individual mistakes...

We're getting better and better by every metrics and some "fans" are still saying there is no progress.
Some fans tend to forget that this is still a transition year...

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Make no mistake, if United and Chelsea weren't such ****shows of clubs this season, Arsenal would definitely miss the CL. **** me, progress. Guys cling to every straw to make this seem some grand achievement of Emery and like this is a super exciting project. Well, it just isn't right now. For example Ajax is. This isn't. And I know there will be a ton of people now having a go at me looking at the smallest and most insignificant things saying I have an agenda or don't like Emery for whatever reasons - a man I couldn't be more indifferent toward - saying what the man's doing is like winning the World Cup and he's omg the best ever and like such a great manager and you know he's got such a nice name with a deep meaning....I mean, come on guys. And you know I'm not making this up, there have seriously and ridiculously been people who were arguing for the guy with the translated meaning of his middle or second last name or whatever. I've more than ever come to face it after watching an Arsenal match with neutral fans that right now this isn't going anywhere really. Hope next season will be different, with or without Emery, couldn't care less if he gets to stay or has to go right now.

• On Thurs we did what was needed, the performance was never going to be important, all we needed was to avoid a 3-0 defeat.
  • This season is all about getting top 4 or winning EL ie all about CL qualification.
  • Let Emery bring some players in this summer, and then by all means be critical, currently he does not deserve your level of criticism.
  • Tell your German friends to watch us more next season!

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I gotta praise this reply, very thorough and objective.

We got a great manager, who is here in his first season with wage / budget restrictions that will losen up this summer. I can't wait to see how we perform when Emery has earlier additions here for more than a season plus gets the wide and other players he needs. Defenders too.

As we have seen with Man United, this kind of manager switch can bring disaster. Personally I am surely pleased how Emery has performed this far with some injury crisis in addition.

Not perfect, no, but in my view only an idiot would demand perfection in these circumstances and want a new manager because of the over-the-top expectations.

In my view we were lucky in PSG wanting almost instant UCL win. Tuchel didn't give it either. Nice timing for us. What if we had got Allegri for example?

Last edited:

drippin

• On Thurs we did what was needed, the performance was never going to be important, all we needed was to avoid a 3-0 defeat.
  • This season is all about getting top 4 or winning EL ie all about CL qualification.
  • Let Emery bring some players in this summer, and then by all means be critical, currently he does not deserve your level of criticism.
  • Tell your German friends to watch us more next season!

Good points. And what a terrible performance, we were the 2nd team after Juventus to win at their stadium this season. Better be ashamed hey! They almost looked dangerous.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Alexis is a much more complete player than Aubameyang, without a doubt.

Aubameyang is a world class goal scorer but a very limited player. Alexis (when on form) still hasn't been replaced. He could beat a man on 1vs1, make a brillant assist, score a solo goal on his own, hold up the ball. All these things Auba can't do.

And while I love Torreira, he is a very different player from Santi. Cazorla was on another level in terms of technical ability whereas Torreira is much much better at defensive duties.
Lucas is much closer to Kanté than he is to Santi.

There is an obvious lack of technical abilities in the squad if you want to see our beautiful football back.
Aubameyang is very limited, Iwobi Mkhitaryan are too inconsistent, Xhaka isn't good enough under pressure and in small spaces, Ramsey's technique is very unreliable he can do great things but also misses a lot of basic things.

Imo only Lacazette (even though he is no RVP), Özil, and Torreira (if played as the more defensive minded CM) have the technical ability to play a sexy football in a consistent basis.

If we get a very good winger this summer and a gifted CM, things might improve dramatically.

This is still a process. You don't go from playing an awful football (last year) and getting mediocre results, and changing a culture that has been there for 22 years, in just a few players and a summer.

We've seen progress in terms of personality though. We've been competitive in every big game we've played this season, except at anfield but we've had so many injuries and so many stupid individual mistakes...

We're getting better and better by every metrics and some "fans" are still saying there is no progress.
Some fans tend to forget that this is still a transition year...
I accept this argument, but it is still worrying.

Here is what Ancelotti said, which reiterates what @Toby Andrl and some others are saying :

Layth[Football LDN] Carlo Ancelotti says: I think Arsenal is an intelligent team. They defend together they are really organised defensively and offensively. They don’t play fantastic football but they deserved their victory and I wish them all the best in the Europa League

drippin

I accept this argument, but it is still worrying.

Here is what Ancelotti said, which reiterates what @Toby Andrl and some others are saying :

Layth[Football LDN] Carlo Ancelotti says: I think Arsenal is an intelligent team. They defend together they are really organised defensively and offensively. They don’t play fantastic football but they deserved their victory and I wish them all the best in the Europa League

Didn't in this game or don't? I have seen some fantastic goals this season in combination play. One of them being Ramsey goal 1-0 vs Napoli at home. Is this some kind of selective memory from Ancelotti or what? Also we haven't got any technical and pacy wingers yet.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In comparison, let's see what people used to say about us:

Former Dutch international Johan Cruyff backed Arsenal to win the competition, saying "If Arsenal win it playing football the way only they know how then Europe would be proud to have such champions".

Marcello Lippi: "It would be good for football if Arsenal could win. They play on the ground, they manoeuvre the ball, very, very well. It's very fast and very technical."

I hope to God that Emery takes this legacy forward.

say yes

forum master baiter

There have been some great responses to big Toby’s meltdown already but this one is the winner. It’s long but every single sentence is on-point.

Someone make this guy a trusted member.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Didn't in this game or don't? I have seen some fantastic goals this season in combination play. One of them being Ramsey goal 1-0 vs Napoli at home. Is this some kind of selective memory from Ancelotti or what?
have a look at the quotes in the previous post. It's not just a matter of one manager saying, it's about the general feeling

drippin

have a look at the quotes in the previous post. It's not just a matter of one manager saying, it's about the general feeling

Okay, I prefer evidence more than some general feeling. :)

A person who lost and even conceded quite brilliant combination play goal, wouldn't be the person I trust for an objective view of Arsenal's game.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
We played much much better than Napoli. The 2 teams weren't even close.

We played a more conservative football when the job was done, Ramsey was lost to an injury and Emery took off some key players to rest them.

We played very well during the first leg and everybody was frustrated we didn't score 2 or 3 goals more.

blaise

For me Emery did good job first season with what he has. He is pragmatic manager before everything, he plays to win the game or throphy not for some show about the most beautiful football some fans are used to.

Of course we played a lot of **** matches this season especiallly on the road but we have the result so far. Also look at our team. Most people here would want big improvements for at least 4 spots in first 11. I mean the guy usually cant field his preffered formation because of our lack od quality at fullbacks and wingers. Not to mention he was forced to play Mustafi most od the matches. I mean look at Sp**s or United roster. And we still played some really sexy football against the big teams.

You cant really judge him before 2-3 years here, but top4 or Europa league or both would be great success this season. Reallistically our roster is 5/6 with Chelsea but they have Hazard who is a game changer, he brings lots of points himself. Hopefully we make a step in right direction this summer and Unai makes even more from this squad next year.

And for people bringing Ajax into this. It is one thing play 8-10 big games in the season without too much pressure and another playing a season in EPL with bih expectations. Here you can give a chance to maybe 2 youngsters which we usually do. Others dont do even that.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay, I prefer evidence more than some general feeling. :)
* we've scored only 22 goals in the Europa league, lower than sevilla

* We are taking fewer shots per game compared to the previous season.

* we play 5 defenders plus two DM every game

* inspite of all this we're going to almost guaranteed concede more goals than last season.

So far I am satisfied with the results but not the quality of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom