• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

• Total voters

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Bring in a manager who makes players give a ****.

The players are a bigger issue than the manager. Cast your mind back to the 3rd PL game onwards, we played good football and went unbeaten for ages. Then we had a defensive crisis and things went tits up. Now since Ramsey got injured we've been awful, it doesn't paint a picture of our whole season, and we have the EL semi this week. Give Emery a season with players he wants and then see how we are doing!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Liverpool had 75 points and 4th this year will likely have 72/73 points. I wouldn’t call a 3 point difference a doddle.
top 4 last time were incredibly competitive, and rarely lost.

Consider the incredible season the top 2 are having this season, it is still dogshit poor below them:

Top 4 losses last season: 18.
Top 4 losses this season: 24!

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
top 4 last time were incredibly competitive, and rarely lost.

Consider the incredible season the top 2 are having this season, it is still dogshit poor below them:

Top 4 losses last season: 18.
Top 4 losses this season: 24!

It was actually 21 losses last season, so a difference of 3 losses over the course of a season. I’m not sure you can draw any conclusions from that. This year the top 4 teams are on course for more wins than last years top 4 and fewer draws (almost half as many). The points finishes for 3rd and 4th will be within a few points of last years totals. The top two are having a more competitive season, the standard below is the same as most years.

If anything the standard was better. Were it not for the results in the last two weeks most people were saying we’d need 78 points for 4th. That would have been the second highest in Premier league history.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It was actually 21 losses last season, so a difference of 3 losses over the course of a season. I’m not sure you can draw any conclusions from that. This year the top 4 teams are on course for more wins than last years top 4 and fewer draws (almost half as many). The points finishes for 3rd and 4th will be within a few points of last years totals. The top two are having a more competitive season, the standard below is the same as most years.

If anything the standard was better. Were it not for the results in the last two weeks most people were saying we’d need 78 points for 4th. That would have been the second highest in Premier league history.
18 losses after week 35. difference of 6 with 12 games to go.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_full

No consistency this year...last year the number of losses were:

City: 2
Utd: 6
Liv: 4
Tott: 6
Chel: 9
Arsenal: 12 (meh)

This year:
City: 4 (+2)
Liv: 1 (-3)
Tot: 11 (+5)
Chel: 8 (-1)
Arsenal: 9 (-3) Should be -6 if not for our brain farts last few weeks.
Utd: 9 (+3)

Except Chelski, teams have been worse this season, imo. Liverpool have an insane amount of draws, which is why they are still 2nd.

We had an incredibly shambolic season, the last one. One of the reasons for that were that our direct rivals were pretty consistent throughout the season. We are getting handouts this season like never before.

If we had any sort of consistency like any of our seasons before last, we would have been 3rd.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If we had any sort of consistency like any of our seasons before last, we would have been 3rd.

But we’re as consistent as all the previous seasons. We finished on 79 points in 2013/14. Every other year it’s been somewhere between 70 and 75 points, which is where we’ll end up this year (probably). Some years that was good enough for 3rd, others 4th.

As I said, this year is no worse than other years. You can even argue it’s better if the top 4 teams are continuing to amass the same amount of points when clubs like Everton, West Ham, Wolves and Leicester are signing players for £30-£40m and improving their squads.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The players are a bigger issue than the manager. Cast your mind back to the 3rd PL game onwards, we played good football and went unbeaten for ages. Then we had a defensive crisis and things went tits up. Now since Ramsey got injured we've been awful, it doesn't paint a picture of our whole season, and we have the EL semi this week. Give Emery a season with players he wants and then see how we are doing!

The squad isn't up to it, but neither is Emery. The players have been ****, but so has he. Imo, he hasn't shown any justification of why exactly Arsenal should let him sign "his" players. Yes, there were a few good games in there, but nothing spectacular, and there were more horrible games with most games somewhere in a pragmatic, ugly hell even if the team won. There's absolutely nothing when looking at the season that makes me go: "That's it. Emery's got it. Just give him a couple of new players and he'll do great." There's nothing to suggest that for me. No justification for me to spend more money and time on him.

We get the same **** next season, but then this squad will be littered with "Emery players". No thank you. Get in someone else and give him a shot. Arsenal should be done with blind loyalty towards managers who don't cut it (anymore).

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Except Chelski, teams have been worse this season, imo.
Man City are on pace for 98 points, and both Liverpool + Sp**s made their best ever starts to a Premier League season. United only dropped off because the players downed tools on Mourinho, under OGS they're 3rd in the form table which is about where you'd expect them to be.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
But we’re as consistent as all the previous seasons. We finished on 79 points in 2013/14. Every other year it’s been somewhere between 70 and 75 points, which is where we’ll end up this year (probably). Some years that was good enough for 3rd, others 4th.

As I said, this year is no worse than other years. You can even argue it’s better if the top 4 teams are continuing to amass the same amount of points when clubs like Everton, West Ham, Wolves and Leicester are signing players for £30-£40m and improving their squads.
I meant that we consistently finish very strongly, plus our away form is generally among the best.

You could argue about whether the top 4 are better than last year, but for me, the stats and form shows that it's been either much harder to win against the weaker teams, or top 4 have been poorer.

Mind you, all this is after TottenSham, Chelski, Liverpool and City all threatening to go unbeaten.

Man City are on pace for 98 points, and both Liverpool + Sp**s made their best ever starts to a Premier League season. United only dropped off because the players downed tools on Mourinho, under OGS they're 3rd in the form table which is about where you'd expect them to be.
I'm specifically talking about number of losses this season. Whether it is due to better competition or not, I don't know.

Man City were imperious last season. They haven't convinced me at all this year.

Utd..they went on a honeymoon with OGS, as Wenger said.

As you say, the white hot starts for Chelsea, TottenSham and the other teams really skewed the numbers, otherwise this is a poor season by the top 6.

progman07

Established Member
We get the same **** next season, but then this squad will be littered with "Emery players". No thank you. Get in someone else and give him a shot. Arsenal should be done with blind loyalty towards managers who don't cut it (anymore).
This is something I'm also afraid of. Hopefully they have learnt from the Suarez incident and no lightweight/slow Barca rejects.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I'm specifically talking about number of losses this season. Whether it is due to better competition or not, I don't know.

Man City were imperious last season. They haven't convinced me at all this year.

Utd..they went on a honeymoon with OGS, as Wenger said.

As you say, the white hot starts for Chelsea, TottenSham and the other teams really skewed the numbers, otherwise this is a poor season by the top 6.
The top 6 have been beating each other this season, hence the higher loss totals:
Sp**s: 7 out of 12
Arsenal: 4 out of 10
Chelsea: 4 out of 8
Man United: 5 out 9

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Toby Andrl makes a good point about bringing in “Emery players”. He should have minimal input into our recruitment policy this summer.

There should be someone at the club who can find the right players to buy for our long term future.

We’re in need of a massive rebuild and there’s still doubts about whether Emery is the man for the job although I feel a lot more positively about him than others do.

Emery’s never stayed at a club longer than four years his entire career, it’s unlikely that’s going to change with us. Planning must be made for beyond his time here.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
@Toby Andrl makes a good point about bringing in “Emery players”. He should have minimal input into our recruitment policy this summer.

Exactly. The original plan on how to replace Wenger with the structure of CEO Gazidis, Sporting Director Sanllehi and Squadplanner Mislintat, those developing a core identity/values/brand of football and then recruiting not only players but managers accordingly is/was the way to go. Only then can you ensure you don't have to restructure the squad completely when changing managers. But unfortunately this fell through by Gazidis jumping ship and Sanllehi making a power grab pushing Mislintat out and now we're seemingly back to a manager singlehandedly deciding on who he wants and a suspect, fat greaser trying to give him that. Now if Emery stays but fails, this squad will be littered with players who might be useless to the next guy, and after that to the next guy. Who's to say Sanllehi will stick to any sort of core brand/identity when recruiting managers? This looks very much like Arsenal is going down the United route with one strong man behind the scenes and random managers thrown in.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The top 6 have been beating each other this season, hence the higher loss totals:
Sp**s: 7 out of 12
Arsenal: 4 out of 10
Chelsea: 4 out of 8
Man United: 5 out 9
Yeah that's a major contribution.

Also, the top 10 teams are all on 50 or more points, so they must be picking up wins too

Reactions: A_G

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

There should be someone at the club who can find the right players to buy for our long term future.

We’re in need of a massive rebuild and there’s still doubts about whether Emery is the man for the job although I feel a lot more positively about him than others do.

Emery’s never stayed at a club longer than four years his entire career, it’s unlikely that’s going to change with us. Planning must be made for beyond his time here.

Well, yeah. What about Sokratis, Torreira, Leno & Guendouzi? They were all signed with Emery's approval. Are they wasted if Emery gets fired at some point? No.

Arsenal needs to make wise signings, and support Emery even more than before because now its possible financially. Signing players with Emery as a manager clearly doesn't mean they will be bad for any other manager.

There are certain positions that need to be addressed in any case. Winger is one, and Fraser for example won't be too expensive or wasted if Emery gets the boot later.

drippin

It's a bit funny that people whine about Suarez (who has been injured a lot). We couldn't sign anyone as our backup, only loan, so seems again that people wanted rather no one, than him for loan. It's not easiest to find potentially good loanees in January window.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
ah well...we had a great run .... 22 yrs of fun football. I guess there will be 3-4 yrs atleast of pain. Its tough to get selfless dedicated servants these days, who will put the club above their personal agendas and aims. Already Sven and Gazidis are gone and its less than a year of the "New Arsenal" TM.

I dont rate Emery, simply because he played Xhaka at RB, Ramsey and Özil on the bench, and Kola & Doozi on the field. Tried to figure out any valid universe and reason where this might make sense, but couldnt, so sadly, the conclusion is that Emery is weird.

Buying ageing players has its downsides. Auba, Laca, Lichsteiner, Mkhi, Sokratis have been good buys on paper and reasonably effective, but we have lost zip and pace and sharpness, as well the capacity to surprise, since they are known quantities and playing at their ceiling.

The young players signed have been decent with Leno, Torreira showing promise, and doozi the only one looking ineffective totally.

The team on sunday played without Bellerin, Özil, Ramsey, Nacho, Welbeck, Holding, so there is no need to panic just yet. Thats a lot of missing firepower.

its not all doom and gloom, one day finally Emery will stumble on the AMN-Willock midfield base and then we will click and be unbeatable.

drippin

ah well...we had a great run .... 22 yrs of fun football. I guess there will be 3-4 yrs atleast of pain. Its tough to get selfless dedicated servants these days, who will put the club above their personal agendas and aims. Already Sven and Gazidis are gone and its less than a year of the "New Arsenal" TM.

I dont rate Emery, simply because he played Xhaka at RB, Ramsey and Özil on the bench, and Kola & Doozi on the field. Tried to figure out any valid universe and reason where this might make sense, but couldnt, so sadly, the conclusion is that Emery is weird.

Buying ageing players has its downsides. Auba, Laca, Lichsteiner, Mkhi, Sokratis have been good buys on paper and reasonably effective, but we have lost zip and pace and sharpness, as well the capacity to surprise, since they are known quantities and playing at their ceiling.

The young players signed have been decent with Leno, Torreira showing promise, and doozi the only one looking ineffective totally.

The team on sunday played without Bellerin, Özil, Ramsey, Nacho, Welbeck, Holding, so there is no need to panic just yet. Thats a lot of missing firepower.

its not all doom and gloom, one day finally Emery will stumble on the AMN-Willock midfield base and then we will click and be unbeatable.

Wasn't he playing Xhaka as LB or CB when injuries demanded so? If you cannot see the sense in things, its totally possible you don't know as much about the details as him which influence his decisions.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Well, yeah. What about Sokratis, Torreira, Leno & Guendouzi? They were all signed with Emery's approval. Are they wasted if Emery gets fired at some point? No.

Arsenal needs to make wise signings, and support Emery even more than before because now its possible financially. Signing players with Emery as a manager clearly doesn't mean they will be bad for any other manager.

There are certain positions that need to be addressed in any case. Winger is one, and Fraser for example won't be too expensive or wasted if Emery gets the boot later.

How do we know what the policy was when Sven was making signings. No one knows if Emery had final approval on those transfers.

In fact wasn’t Mavrapanos signed without Wenger’s approval? Also conflicting reports over who’s signing PEA was.

My fear is that with Sven being squeezed out we’re going to have Emery’s pals giving him Carte Blanche with our budget.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The squad isn't up to it, but neither is Emery. The players have been ****, but so has he. Imo, he hasn't shown any justification of why exactly Arsenal should let him sign "his" players. Yes, there were a few good games in there, but nothing spectacular, and there were more horrible games with most games somewhere in a pragmatic, ugly hell even if the team won. There's absolutely nothing when looking at the season that makes me go: "That's it. Emery's got it. Just give him a couple of new players and he'll do great." There's nothing to suggest that for me. No justification for me to spend more money and time on him.

When I say "His players" I mean players signed with him as coach, I don't care who targets them, agrees details and signs them, just players that he can work with from fresh. So far the ones that joined, since Wenger, apart from Suarez and Lichtsteiner, have been good. Emery had to make do with those he inherited ie Mustafi, Iwobi, Elneny, Mkhi and they're not good enough. We also had a defensive crisis losing Bellerin & Holding, add the Özil situation, which I feel was well managed by Emery, how can a coach be accurately judged in one season with all this to contend with!

Latest posts+

Top Bottom