• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Moving away from the legend conversation and his cup final goals what will be your best memories of him, and his best moments in the shirt?
My best memory of him was before he turned into a goal hanger.

He played some good attractive football when he first joined. I liked his performance and think he was capable to develop into something special.

He was a promising talent who should have polished his passing, touch, control, skill moves, football brain, tactical discipline, to become the next xavi or iniesta.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Not even about the legend thing with me. Some people don’t even want to give him his due respect on the way out, which I don’t get.
Probably because he went out as our most important and influential player. From a guy who apparently couldn't control a ball, to us going completely to sh!t and lacking any identity in his absence. Oh, he's also only going to Juventus, when Sunderland apparently beckoned.

Yeah, that must hurt :drool:

Probably because he went out as our most important and influential player. From a guy who apparently couldn't control a ball, to us going completely to sh!t and lacking any identity in his absence. Oh, he's also only going to Juventus, when Sunderland apparently beckoned.

Yeah, that must hurt :drool:

I remember when it was just you and me defending him. How the times has changed.

Escy

in my opinion showed very little respect to the club (with his contract situation) that made him and gave him so many chances

He'd already played in an FA Cup final before he even joined Arsenal. It could be argued Arsenal ruined him, not playing him where he is best, then all the plastic Arsenal fans getting on his back and booing him. There is a reason he performs with Wales, he's given the platform that gets the best out of him. I've no doubt Juventus will also get the best out of him.

jus2nang

Oh **** off. This is not whose **** is bigger. Of course Vieira is the allround bigger player but that's not what this is about. Quite telling those two muppets say_yes and Football Manager liked your post.

It's about the level. "Legend" isn't a term to throw around lightly. As I said in a previous post, legends are the likes of Adams, Wright, Bergkamp, Henry & Vieira.

That's the level of a legend. Ramsey as good as he was, came nowhere near to those on that list in terms of quality, influence and what they helped the club to achieve. There's a gulf between them, ergo he should not be considered a legend.

Vieira wasn't just the better player, he led the side to numerous trophies; he was an instrumental player in those league titles and FA Cup victories.

Do you honestly believe they were on a comparable level with regards to what they did for the club? If the answer is 'no' (which would be the correct answer), then it answers the question as to whether or not Ramsey is a legend.

jus2nang

Pantomime AM again. He’s a club legend . . Oh no he’s not . . Oh yes he is:lol: Who cares ffs?

Forget the soft tissue injuries and his wandering spirit, he should be honoured as an Arsenal great who gave us 10 years . . . an attacking midfielder with flare, heart and goals, often just when we needed him.

It's literally the question in the thread title....

jus2nang

Gutted but expected, if we make the final of the EL and Ramsey was there I would be pretty confident he scores the winner.

Would have been a nice end to his career here, will he be remembered as a club legend by all, I don't know, but what is a legend these days; Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp yes obviously, but what about Ray Parlour for example, not exactly the most gifted of players in our winning era but I think there is different ways to attain this 'Legend' status..

If you treat the club right and give your best I think you can be a club legend, its not always about being the top talent or even best performer.

This is actually a fair point....

Manberg

Predator
It's about the level. "Legend" isn't a term to throw around lightly. As I said in a previous post, legends are the likes of Adams, Wright, Bergkamp, Henry & Vieira.

That's the level of a legend. Ramsey as good as he was, came nowhere near to those on that list in terms of quality, influence and what they helped the club to achieve. There's a gulf between them, ergo he should not be considered a legend.

Vieira wasn't just the better player, he led the side to numerous trophies; he was an instrumental player in those league titles and FA Cup victories.

Do you honestly believe they were on a comparable level with regards to what they did for the club? If the answer is 'no' (which would be the correct answer), then it answers the question as to whether or not Ramsey is a legend.

How do you justify what 'better player' or 'quality' is? Ramsey for instance scored more goals than Vieira in a more competitive league. He walks into any midfield in the world, his quality is unquestionable.
He helped the club achieve trophies, ending a long trophy drought, as well as top 4 in a team of declining quality. You compare "in terms of quality, influence and what they helped the club to achieve" when it's clear Ramsey excels in all three.
So why is it you think there's a "gulf between them'"?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
There's no doubt Ramsey has many admirers and many who think he's over rated. As a player I think he's great and one of the biggest reasons is his passion and commitment. Ok he's had many bad games but generally he has that drive to be in the right place at the right time, that is why he has scored so many goals for us and he did it in key matches too. That is what we will struggle to replace and I wish him all the best.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I absolutely think so, yes. In the context of the vast differences between Arsenal during Wenger's first and second half, I think Ramsey is absolutely up there with what he did.

Ramsey as good as he was, came nowhere near to those on that list in terms of quality, influence and what they helped the club to achieve.

I'll give you quality. I'll maybe give you influence in terms of that he wasn't the team orchestrator or main source of goals. But what he helped the club achieve - I don't give you that. With his two Cup winning goals you could say he was the best/most influential of the Emirates era in that regard. E.g. Fabregas, van Persie - as much as they might tower over Ramsey in individual quality and on pitch influence (although the latter is even debatable if you look at current Arsenal without him) - have with all that won Arsenal exactly ****. And in my opinion, that elevates Ramsey above them and puts them up there with the legends. Legend is not always about quality and the mass of trophies or leading the line. Sometimes being a legend might only be about one legendary moment. Everytime in the future when people will talk about the 9 trophy less years and then Arsenal finally winnin the FA Cup again - they will be talking about Aaron Ramsey. And that's a legend. Everything else he did here just piles on top of that.

So yeah, he hasn't won the league multiple times or went a season unbeaten. But when was any iteration of Arsenal he featured in in a position to be actually close to challenging for something like that? In the context of what was possible to win, he helped the team a lot to do that.

Also, all this niggling just gets on my nerves. It's like the Ronaldo - Messi debate. Messi can dribble better - but Ronaldo scores more important goals. Bla bla. Can't people just accept it like it is? And that's your talk of "levels", like this is a computer game. Reminds me of boys bickering about Fifa ratings. Only players rated on Fifa higher than 85 can be legends. The others are a not on the same level. Sorry, but **** me with your levels. If you don't get that someone who's done for this club what Ramsey has done is a legend in his very own right, just because you think Thierry Henry was the better player and on another level of achievement because he won the league a few times in a time when Arsenal was competing with United for domination of the league, then I can't help you. Henry's, Vieira's, etc's achievements don't get smaller just 'cause someone rates Ramsey - and neither vice versa.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I can’t imagine Ronaldo having the patience for Ramsey, we saw how much RVP & Sanchez disliked him. Type of guy to shoot from 40 yards instead of passing to the more talented players who are free.

He lost us so many games because he had no positional discipline and wanted to be a striker, cost us way more games than he won. I’m glad he’s going tbh one of my least favourite Arsenal players to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom