• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He really REALLY is no good. I have no clue how he's got to where he has. The standard of scouting and analysis has truly gone to sh!t. We live in an age where computers make recommendations to sign players. He'd be playing in the third tier 20 years ago. He's nowhere near as good as a prime Charlie Adam ffs.

blaze_of_glory

I asked this question not long after he signed: Name me two things he's good at? Time has passed since....

Name me ONE thing he's good at?
He's very good and passing through the lines, and makes a lot of interceptions. Can also tackle very well when he's on his game. But he too often isn't on his game and loses focus way too much. So he mistakes in key areas and key times, and even as someone who appreciates his skill set I'm sick of it. The pk today was the last straw for me, absolutely unforgivable to do that at this point.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's very good and passing through the lines, and makes a lot of interceptions. Can also tackle very well when he's on his game. But he too often isn't on his game and loses focus way too much. So he mistakes in key areas and key times, and even as someone who appreciates his skill set I'm sick of it. The pk today was the last straw for me, absolutely unforgivable to do that at this point.
I think every aspect of his game is ridiculously overrated. He doesn't do whatever he's best at often enough, and when he does, it's not decisive.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
His passing skills have been overstated. Many times he passes straight to the other teams. Even when he makes the good passes, he takes so much of time that those passes don't mean anything when they actually reach the other players.

Just look at how he reacts on getting possession. He looks down, sees the ball, takes a couple of touches and then looks ahead to find some players. This is not the kind of football you expect from someone at premier league level.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It's just become clear to all us that he not suited for PL. He'll be suited for Italian German clubs.

Also I just forget he signed new contract last summer so we stuck with him

RacingPhoton

Established Member
It's just become clear to all us that he bit suited for PL. He'll be suited for Italian German clubs.

Also I just forget he signed new contract last summer so we stuck with him
Signing a new contract does not necessarily mean we are stuck with him. It is actually good. We can demand more money if a team comes for him and he has a lengthy contract here. If he has only one year left in his contract, other teams will ask him for peanuts as he will be available for free in one year anyway.

blaze_of_glory

I think every aspect of his game is ridiculously overrated. He doesn't do whatever he's best at often enough, and when he does, it's not decisive.

You look at his game just on Thursday and he played great, and in a big game too. Then today he does this. That's the problem. Agree he's not decisive enough though, there was a play today where he got himself into a good position in the box to shoot and then just passed it off lamely to the wing. Think even Özil would have had a pop from the position he was in.

His passing skills have been overstated. Many times he passes straight to the other teams. Even when he makes the good passes, he takes so much of time that those passes don't mean anything when they actually reach the other players.

Just look at how he reacts on getting possession. He looks down, sees the ball, takes a couple of touches and then looks ahead to find some players. This is not the kind of football you expect from someone at premier league level.

Yeah, he does too often seem to want more time that he has. Think @yousif_arsenal is right that his weaknesses would not be as apparent in some other leagues.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Signing a new contract does not necessarily mean we are stuck with him. It is actually good. We can demand more money if a team comes for him and he has a lengthy contract here. If he has only one year left in his contract, other teams will ask him for peanuts as he will be available for free in one year anyway.
There won't be top club come to him also he's wages probably about 80-90K after new contract similar to mustafi we'll need to find clubs that want them

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You look at his game just on Thursday and he played great, and in a big game too. Then today he does this. That's the problem. Agree he's not decisive enough though, there was a play today where he got himself into a good position in the box to shoot and then just passed it off lamely to the wing. Think even Özil would have had a pop from the position he was in.

Yeah, he does too often seem to want more time that he has. Think @yousif_arsenal is right that his weaknesses would not be as apparent in some other leagues.
Yup. He may indeed shine in Italian league. Over here, more and more teams are adapting pressing approach. Especially when we are playing away, some teams seem to have gotten the idea that if they target their pressing on Xhaka and Mustafi, they will definitely make mistakes. It won't be long before the word spreads.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
There won't be top club come to him also he's wages probably about 80-90K after new contract similar to mustafi we'll need to find clubs that want them
Yes. Top clubs who have seen him play will not want him. But there will be some mediocre clubs were he will be useful. His contract will give us an upper hand in negotiations. At least we will get back half the money spent on these players.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Just not enough strings to his bow for a player in the top tier. Forget signing this and that player to mask his weaknesses as well. I remember when that was an excuse being wheeled out.... 'Anyone would look bad next to Ramsey', they once said...

I don't believe Emery is a fan, and I stand by that. I hope I'm right, and I really hope he's a goner.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
99%
giphy.gif

1%
tenor.gif

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just not enough strings to his bow for a player in the top tier. Forget signing this and that player to mask his weaknesses as well. I remember when that was an excuse being wheeled out.... 'Anyone would look bad next to Ramsey', they once said...

I don't believe Emery is a fan, and I stand by that. I hope I'm right, and I really hope he's a goner.
You'd look at Guendouzi as his natural replacement internally. Similar ability to break lines with his passing, but better dribbler. Higher ceiling. Slightly more agile aswell which helps. Only issue is the same lack of speed that our entire midfield is suffering from. Really one-paced.

scytheavatar

Established Member
You'd look at Guendouzi as his natural replacement internally. Similar ability to break lines with his passing, but better dribbler. Higher ceiling. Slightly more agile aswell which helps. Only issue is the same lack of speed that our entire midfield is suffering from. Really one-paced.

Have you not seen what happened yesterday when Guendouzi came on for Xhaka? How the momentum we were building in the match came crashing down? Guendouzi is years away from reaching Xhaka level.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
But his long pass range, accuracy and timing are not nearly as good.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Been saying this for ages. We lack pace and athleticism in this team. We should have bedded in Willock, Osei-Tutu, Medley and Eddie by now. Instead we have given game time to Lichtsteiner, Elneny, Jenkinson, Suarez and overplayed Guendouzi. That would have allowed is to play AMN in midfield who would add the pace we need.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A player with the potential Douzi has to offer, for sure. That’s the type we should have always been aiming for back then, not these one-trick cigar and slippers dinosaurs who sh1t their pants whenever someone has the audacity to allow the opposition within ten yards of them. He’s just not assured enough stepping out of his comfort zone with the ball, which means he gets twitchy, ****s up and tries to make instant amends. We know the rest.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But his long pass range, accuracy and timing are not nearly as good.
I think he means the early mould of douzi. The player we hope or looks like turning out to be. Although, to be fair, it’s difficult to say Xhaka’s long range shooting is anything worth noting. He can strike a ball, but striking it on goal is another thing altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom