• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Embarrassing poll. Of course Emery deserves another year.

Worst possible thing we could do now is change the manager. The last month has been utterly dreadful but bigger picture there’s nothing disastrous about the 6th best squad finishing 5th in the league.

I’m as angry as anyone about the ****-show of the last month (as bad as any one month period from last season) but Emery should be judged on our progress at the end of next season. His job is too big to appraise him properly before then.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
It's was always going to be difficult after 14 years of steady decline. No one should have expected Emery to work his magic and so to see so many up and downs in his first season here are normal.

I would only start to worry if he failed to address out weakness during the summer transfer window and the same problems are still here next season.

MustOezil

Worst possible thing we could do now is change the manager. The last month has been utterly dreadful but bigger picture there’s nothing disastrous about the 6th best squad finishing 5th in the league.

I’m as angry as anyone about the ****-show of the last month (as bad as any one month period from last season) but Emery should be judged on our progress at the end of next season. His job is too big to appraise him properly before then.

Sorry but what the ****. Why should the entire ****show of last two months not be held to judgement? To me it was a catastrophic failure to secure top 4 when we were in a position to get 3rd.

Any other manager would have been sacked for that run. And here we are with Emery playing the most dire football, lacking in creativity football, makes Arsenal lose challenges against teams of a pedigree below ours.

Giving him another season sounds like footballing ****.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I've voted to give him another year, but if we fail miserably in the Europa - going out in Valencia for instance - I think I'll change my mind, because it looks as if he has favoured the EL over ensuring fourth position, and that is surely more about him and his ego than Arsenal

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

Worried about the type of player he will look to bring in now he'll have more influence on transfers.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

To me it just seems as though Emery has no set formation, game tactics, player roles during games he uses, we seem to have a different formation, set up & team every game. I think he has to have a set formation he uses & builds upon to start off with as with the same core group of starting players. Whether that be a 4231 or 3 at the back formation with 2 starting strikers (Laca & PEA) etc. Just about every game this year I'd been thinking, now what is he going to do today, 3 at the back, flat back 4 haha.

I'm happy for him to stay on & have another yr or 2 to rebuild & see out his contract, bring his own players in but I'd like to see a common formation & core group of players that he builds around.

say yes

forum master baiter
Sorry but what the ****. Why should the entire ****show of last two months not be held to judgement? To me it was a catastrophic failure to secure top 4 when we were in a position to get 3rd.

Any other manager would have been sacked for that run. And here we are with Emery playing the most dire football, lacking in creativity football, makes Arsenal lose challenges against teams of a pedigree below ours.

Giving him another season sounds like footballing ****.

You’re talking out of your arse, as per.

If any other manager would have been sacked for a run like this then we should try and hire Pochettino this summer. He’ll be free, along with Sarri and Solskjaer.

If you’re going to lose your mind everytime we hit a patch of bad form then maybe this isn’t the right sport for you.

The last month has been abysmal. We all know that. My faith that Emery is the right man for this club long term has been severely shaken. Doesn’t change the fact that I won’t judge him (barring some incredible results one way or the other) until the end of next season. I said that over January when we hit our last patch of bad form, I said it when we were great in February-March, and I’ll say it again now.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

To me it just seems as though Emery has no set formation, game tactics, player roles during games he uses, we seem to have a different formation, set up & team every game. I think he has to have a set formation he uses & builds upon to start off with as with the same core group of starting players. Whether that be a 4231 or 3 at the back formation with 2 starting strikers (Laca & PEA) etc. Just about every game this year I'd been thinking, now what is he going to do today, 3 at the back, flat back 4 haha.

I'm happy for him to stay on & have another yr or 2 to rebuild & see out his contract, bring his own players in but I'd like to see a common formation & core group of players that he builds around.
I’m happy to give him a chance and see where this goes but yeah, his line ups do leave me a bit miffed more often or not.
A bit of a tinkerer.
A season in and much like you I can’t predict the starting 11 or formation. We’ve gone from one extreme to the other.

MustOezil

You’re talking out of your arse, as per.

If any other manager would have been sacked for a run like this then we should try and hire Pochettino this summer. He’ll be free, along with Sarri and Solskjaer.

Bollocks.

If you’re going to lose your mind everytime we hit a patch of bad form then maybe this isn’t the right sport for you.

Bollocks again.

No one here is losing it when we get a bad patch of form. However, I and many others lose our minds when we can see repeatedly that there is a pattern of inability to beat teams that sit much below us in the table, especially when the season progresses.

The last month has been abysmal. We all know that. My faith that Emery is the right man for this club long term has been severely shaken. Doesn’t change the fact that I won’t judge him (barring some incredible results one way or the other) until the end of next season. I said that over January when we hit our last patch of bad form, I said it when we were great in February-March, and I’ll say it again now.

This kind of blind faith in Emery will drag our club to the grounds. I sincerely hope the club management isn't as naive.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Very surprised to see this poll. I know that the last few games have been extremely disappointing. The way we've collapsed against Crystal Palace, Brighton, etc., is unacceptable. And I've also had it with this season.

But we have to be patient. Emery is a very good coach. He did well at Sevilla, he did well at PSG, and I think he'll do well here. We went on a long unbeaten run and - at times - played some good football during this season. We've seen some interesting things and we've been able to understand where Emery is trying to take this club in terms of style. We also shouldn't forget that we are transitioning from a manager that was with us for 22 years. This is a tough, uncertain process and - on balance - Emery has been dealing with this relatively well.

It would be a massive mistake to let him go now. We'd be starting all over again. Guardiola objectively under-performed in his first season at City. Back in the days, Ferguson didn't do too well in his first seasons. It also took Klopp some time to get it right at Liverpool. Let's be patient with Emery. It's only been one season...

We're not Real Madrid or Barcelona. They can afford to sack their managers whenever they want because they've got amazing squads. We don't.

Which brings to what I think is the bigger issue: will we make the necessary investments over the summer? Because we can change coaches as much as we want, if we don't improve our squad, I don't think it'll make a big difference. I'm not very optimistic to be honest. I don't know what our financials are like but the signals we're getting are not reassuring. If January is anything to go by, it seems as if we'll be doing this on the cheap again. If that is the case, then I don't think we'll be in a strong position next season. I think we'll again compete for 4th - and we'll maybe succeed in getting that CL spot - but I don't think we'll be in a position to compete with the best teams in the country.

MustOezil

It would be a massive mistake to let him go now. We'd be starting all over again. Guardiola objectively under-performed in his first season at City. Back in the days, Ferguson didn't do too well in his first seasons. It also took Klopp some time to get it right at Liverpool. Let's be patient with Emery. It's only been one season...

I hate this argument, because it bears no merit whatsoever, but members of this forum keep on bringing it up when there is a need to defend Emery.

This argument that Klopp and Guardiola did not do well in their first seasons but eventually succeeded completely ignores the 95% of the other managers who did not do well in their first season and then continued to not do well for the rest of their time at a club. It is a numb narrative that somehow some of us here cannot see past.

If you want to give Emery another season, find a better and more accurate reason than "because Jurgen and Pep". Perhaps one that pertains to his football philosophy and most importantly, tangible results that drive us towards some sort of 3-5 year plan.

All I see is cutbacks each game, no creativity, and shambolic defense.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Very surprised to see this poll. I know that the last few games have been extremely disappointing. The way we've collapsed against Crystal Palace, Brighton, etc., is unacceptable. And I've also had it with this season.

But we have to be patient. Emery is a very good coach. He did well at Sevilla, he did well at PSG, and I think he'll do well here. We went on a long unbeaten run and - at times - played some good football during this season. We've seen some interesting things and we've been able to understand where Emery is trying to take this club in terms of style. We also shouldn't forget that we are transitioning from a manager that was with us for 22 years. This is a tough, uncertain process and - on balance - Emery has been dealing with this relatively well.

We're not Real Madrid or Barcelona. They can afford to sack their managers whenever they want because they've got amazing squads. We don't.

Which brings to what I think is the bigger issue: will we make the necessary investments over the summer? Because we can change coaches as much as we want, if we don't improve our squad, I don't think it'll make a big difference. I'm not very optimistic to be honest. I don't know what our financials are like but the signals we're getting are not reassuring. If January is anything to go by, it seems as if we'll be doing this on the cheap again. If that is the case, then I don't think we'll be in a strong position next season. I think we'll again compete for 4th - and we'll maybe succeed in getting that CL spot - but I don't think we'll be in a position to compete with the best teams in the country.

We need a complete restructure and different approach to compete with the top teams in this league.

That involves the owner digging deep, us attracting players to a long term project like Liverpool has done and saying this is the turning point for Arsenal. We are doing things differently and we mean business.

That won't happen we will continue to shop in the 15-35m price range and to do that and succeed you need luck.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I hate this argument, because it bears no merit whatsoever, but members of this forum keep on bringing it up when there is a need to defend Emery.

This argument that Klopp and Guardiola did not do well in their first seasons but eventually succeeded completely ignores the 95% of the other managers who did not do well in their first season and then continued to not do well for the rest of their time at a club. It is a numb narrative that somehow some of us here cannot see past.

If you want to give Emery another season, find a better and more accurate reason than "because Jurgen and Pep". Perhaps one that pertains to his football philosophy and most importantly, tangible results that drive us towards some sort of 3-5 year plan.

He has to be given 1 more year. He will have had a year to analyse the squad and see who's worth what.

If you sack him and bring in another they will have to do the same.

The facts are that our squad player for player is worse than the other teams above us.

And in the likes of Wolves and Leicester there are easily 3-4 of their team that would start for us. That wasn't the case 15-20 years ago.

Wolves and Leicester are signing young hungry players who use them as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Hence they have talent and hunger and work ethic. The players we have know arsenal is the best club they will ever play for hence no drive.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Sorry but what the ****. Why should the entire ****show of last two months not be held to judgement?

Because, fortunately, there are people with a lot more sense than you who know judgments are not based on hyperbole.

Emery is clearly on a 2 year plan, evident by his 2+1 contract. I don't see the need for final judgement after one season. On the contrary the board should fully support him this Summer with his plans to reshape the team to the playstyle he wants.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
People forfeiting the right to mock other clubs hiring and firing policies. Instead of wetting our knickers about the PL, why don't we wait for the season to ****ing end before judging him? Emery could literally be on the brink of doing something Wenger never did and win a European trophy. That makes a difference, doesn't it?

Think the mod who came up with that poll is a **** stirrer of the highest order, tbh.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I picked the 4th option cause tbh not only is the club ops very suspect, but who’s even out there really.
I don’t feel like he’s been given the trust or the funds to get his own players.
I also think most managers would need about 2 seasons minimum.
Apart from our defending and our standing in the league- I’ve kinda liked what he has done so far.
I think our issues are bigger than whatever manager/coach we can realistically pull - there is something off key with Arsenal.

stiiphunn

Established Member

I already did. But you've chosen not to quote the rest of my post. Looking at what Emery has done over the years, I think he's a very good coach. I also think that we've been able to witness throughout the season where he wants to take this club in terms of style/philosophy. Yes, he made mistakes - of course, he did. And we haven't been consistent enough. But we've seen some good stuff as well. And, as I said, I think right now the bigger issue is whether we'll make the necessary investments over the summer to improve our squad.

As for the Klopp/Guardiola examples, it's just commons sense. I've taken these two - but also Ferguson - as examples because history shows that it takes time to build a team. It's not hard to understand why stability/time are required to build something successful. I know that there is a lot of pressure these days and people want results immediately. But it doesn't work like that. Even with all the money in the world (PSG, City, etc.), these things take time.

But I think you probably know all of this. I take it that you're just not a fan of Emery and that you don't think he's a good coach? If so, I'd be interested to hear what your plan would be for the next season or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom