• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loan players

Mark

Established Member
I'm sure you all saw and most probably all laughed when LuaLua, on loan from Newcastle scored against them in the 89th minute for his loan club Portsmouth to deny Newcastle 2 points which, who knows, may end up costing them 4th place in the league.

There have been lots of arguments about whether players on loan from clubs can play against the clubs who they are being loaned from for the club they are currently playing for. Obviously the club loaning the player decides. We let Pennant and Volz play against us for Leeds and Fulham respectively.

The point is, should the club loaning them be allowed to say the player can't play against them? LuaLua for example, is now playing for Portsmouth, he is there to help Portsmouth fight against relegation, why shouldn't he play against Newcastle? Of course you could argue that the club loaning the player should be allowed to say they can't play against them, because they have ambitions of their own. Newcastle really need to get 4th place for example, and since they've been nice enough to let LuaLua play for Portsmouth in every other game, perhaps asking them not to play for one game isn't so much to ask?

I personally don't know. If Pennant scores a last minute equaliser or last minute winner for Leeds against us at Highbury later in the season which could ultimately cost us the title, I certainly would be annoyed, especially since we had the option to not let him play, but it's a real tough one. I thought this could make some good discussion, so what does everyone else think about this?

Mark

Established Member
I forgot about Jeffers. That c*nt! :x

But we have won every game since then so I don't think it will effect us, if it does it will effect us as much as draws with bolton, leicester, etc.

kNiteMare

I think you sort the issue out when you sign the loan contract. There are clauses regarding whether you allow a player to play or not. Take Pennant for example, he is allowed to play in the league but not the cups. Whether there will be recuppcation (sp.) afterwards is another matter and it is down to the club's fault for letting the player played.

Gunner4life09

its a though one, but it's ultimately up to the club if they feel the player should be able to play angainst the club, why not. and if they don't feel the player should, its there right if they want it that way.

sean

from an arsenal view only, no our loan players should not be allowed to play against us.

other teams , thats there choice.

laolu

I don't they should because it could create a conflict of interest. Where does your allegiance lie? the club who "owns" you or the club whose jersey you are currently wearing?

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom