• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,468,138

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefMan21

Instead of Tesco we should be shopping in Aldi and Harrods. Best way to do it. Can't afford Harrods at the moment though.
We should be shopping at the farmer's market. You know that they don't have a pretty exterior, but when it gets down to it, it's going to be the best orange you ever ate.

(I'd also make the observation that chefs with 3 Michelin Stars shop at farmers markets, and they turn those ugly oranges into some pretty amazing - and expensive - stuff that sees people come from far and wide to eat)

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
We should be shopping at the farmer's market. You know that they don't have a pretty exterior, but when it gets down to it, it's going to be the best orange you ever ate.

(I'd also make the observation that chefs with 3 Michelin Stars shop at farmers markets, and they turn those ugly oranges into some pretty amazing - and expensive - stuff that sees people come from far and wide to eat)

Yep, money isn't the only answer. Two of this years Champions League semi finalists, Ajax and them lot next door haven't spent huge amounts on their squads. They certainly haven't overpaid for the 'talked about' players. Last summer showed that we added some really good players for pretty low fees. We found good value in the market with Leno, Sokratis, Torreira and Guendouzi, repeat that and we will look much stronger next year.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't believe this club is in a position where signing a big name is almost impossible. We have the budget of a relegation team. Hate football.

Forget the big names. Remember the club. We rarely sign big names. We need to go back to making them.

There is no need to sign names we all know. They just need to have the right physical profile and the right mentality. Mahrez scored 6 goals in 60 appearances for Le Havre. It isn't about simply spending massive amounts of money on big names to guarantee output. We are not that club.

We need to spend wisely on LB, RB, CB, DM, CM, RW and CF. The talent needs to be right. It needs to be of a young age and have a high ceiling for a low price.

Jae

Auba: 60m
Laca: 50m
Xhaka: 40m
Mustafi: 36m
Özil: 42m
Sanchez: 38m
Sokratis: 14m
Torreira: 27m
Leno: 22m
Perez: 18m
Elneny: 11m
Chambers: 18m
Welbeck: 18m
Gabriel: 13m
Debuchy: 13m

Absolutely shocking that list. Don't know what Wenger was thinking at times.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Forget the big names. Remember the club. We rarely sign big names. We need to go back to making them.

There is no need to sign names we all know. They just need to have the right physical profile and the right mentality. Mahrez scored 6 goals in 60 appearances for Le Havre. It isn't about simply spending massive amounts of money on big names to guarantee output. We are not that club.

We need to spend wisely on LB, RB, CB, DM, CM, RW and CF. The talent needs to be right. It needs to be of a young age and have a high ceiling for a low price.

I do agree but it's getting a lot harder, back when we were good at that we were a head of the game but now we have the likes of Wolves spotting talent / deals before we do.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Can't believe this club is in a position where signing a big name is almost impossible. We have the budget of a relegation team. Hate football.

I think it’s probably not that surprising, three key reasons why we’re not in a position to do so.

1) We’re the only club to be fully self sustainable. That means when the incomes are affected by lack of CL everything has to be scaled down.

2) We’ve had a lot of sh*t windows in recent memory that we’re still recovering from.
13/14: Only one starting quality player brought in with a net spend of 34M
14/15: Arguably two starting quality players brought in with a net spend of 72M
15/16: No outfield players brought in, net spend of 20M
16/17: Arguably every player was a flop, net spend of 90M.

That’s unsustainable for clubs outside of City and maybe Utd and it will take a lot of time to recover from. The fact we’ve either bought complete flops or too few players has hurt us.

Also we’ve completely failed until recently to recoup any good fees, in the five year stretch between RVP leaving and Ox leaving our highest transfer fee received was 17M for Vermaelen.

We turned down good offers for Alexis, Wilshere, Mustafi and Chambers only for all their values to tank and in some cases leave on frees.

3) Players are probably wary of us right now, we’ve been in decline for a while and Wenger commanded a lot of respect within the football world if not among the fans. Emery and the club will have to prove themselves over the coming years to get the recruiting power we had at our peak.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Auba: 60m
Laca: 50m
Xhaka: 40m
Mustafi: 36m
Özil: 42m
Sanchez: 38m
Sokratis: 14m
Torreira: 27m
Leno: 22m
Perez: 18m
Elneny: 11m
Chambers: 18m
Welbeck: 18m
Gabriel: 13m
Debuchy: 13m

Absolutely shocking that list. Don't know what Wenger was thinking at times.

Perez, Elneny, Xhaka and Mustafi were a disgusting use of money.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I do agree but it's getting a lot harder, back when we were good at that we were a head of the game but now we have the likes of Wolves spotting talent / deals before we do.

I don't think its even about spotting talent. The talent is there in plain sight nowadays. We all know about the best players in Europe. It's about pulling the trigger and buying the players. Eeveryone knew about Diop before West Ham bought him. Why did we not go for him? Instead of buying a young up and coming striker, we bought Perez?

Everyone knew about Torreira before we got him. We just did the deal fast. We need to do the same with others if we actually want to be successful and bridge the gap. Forget spending a summer being run around by Pepes agent, or Barella. Spend the money on Fornals and get it in.

The talent is there for everyone to see. Sangare, Thuram, Nkunku and Tierney. They are all players we could tie up in the space of two weeks. Yet we will probably spend time haggling after a big name or getting some kind of cast off.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't think its even about spotting talent. The talent is there in plain sight nowadays. We all know about the best players in Europe. It's about pulling the trigger and buying the players. Eeveryone knew about Diop before West Ham bought him. Why did we not go for him? Instead of buying a young up and coming striker, we bought Perez?

Everyone knew about Torreira before we got him. We just did the deal fast. We need to do the same with others if we actually want to be successful and bridge the gap. Forget spending a summer being run around by Pepes agent, or Barella. Spend the money on Fornals and get it in.

The talent is there for everyone to see. Sangare, Thuram, Nkunku and Tierney. They are all players we could tie up in the space of two weeks. Yet we will probably spend time haggling after a big name or getting some kind of cast off.

You are talking about Issa Diop? Because I have seen West Ham fans who think he is their Mustafi and wants him sold. He's a Jeryl and Hyde who's either amazing or a complete joke.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I'm feeling pretty confident that we will sign this Djené Dakonam from Getafe. Will watch him closely under AFCON.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

This is obviously where all those reporting a £40 million budget got that figure because this was released just about the time we started seeing it. However, everyone neglected this little tidbit:

There are new commercial deals starting to come on stream that will give a boost in 2019 but these figures demonstrate why Arsenal really do need to secure a Champions league position at the end of the season.

AST acknowledged new commercial revenue (which will be available July 1), but did not include it in their calculations. If we add the £40 million boost in commercial revenue to their £40 million estimate, that would bring us potentially to £80 million. Champions League would, of course, add a nice chunk on top of that.

Of course the thing is that since Arsenal is now private and doesn't publish its books, AST is just giving it their best guess. That's all anyone can do. None of us know. AST doesn't know. David Ornstein and Jeremy Wilson don't know. I certainly don't know.

And that's why I'm not going to get caught up in all the doom and gloom over these reports about the alleged budget. We'll know by the end of the day on Aug. 8 about how much Arsenal was willing to spend.

Sanis

Don‘t expect much from the sales of players, most of our deadwood are ***** players on high wages, would be extremely difficult to sell them.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
What’s Marks and Spencer food like these days? Whenever I talk to my mum she says she goes and gets some shopping there so that must mean it’s come down to Tesco levels. My mum was too tight to go in there when it was competing with Waitrose. These are the only reason I used to go in M&S, ****ing lovely.

D3S_7961-copy-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom