• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
No reason to believe whatsoever that Cech would 'throw' a game, however if he is too make a costly mistake we all know what will be said.

I wanted Leno as GK since we got out the group stages, I hate this cup competition keeper thing that has somehow become popular.

Personally I think going with Leno for the final just makes sense all round, this revelation plays a small small part in it but just play Leno as it makes the most footballing sense.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Cech is a top professional (dying breed perhaps). He made mistakes but they were all honest mistakes. He wouldn't jeopardize winning a trophy to end his career just to appease to his old/new club.

If anything he'd be determined to prove he is still a top level goalkeeper and cement his place in Arsenal history by achieving European success.

Only thing that worries me is that every little mistake he makes will be held under a microscope in light of his Chelsea connection and reacted to by the crowd. The news regarding his move is really poor timing. I do however think he's been through enough to maintain his focus during this big moment.

Whatever Emery chooses to do I have faith in Petr giving his all for this club.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
When we first found out the final would be Arsenal vs Chelsea I didnt mind Cech playing because he's a professional.

However as time has gone on Cech has continued to be in the spotlight going into this game, and the basically impending DoF role he will take up at Chelsea is the final straw for me.

Even if he acts like a top professional which I'm sure anyone would, I feel like there will be something playing on his mind. Not to help Chelsea, but just how much the occasion has been hyped up for him personally. (will his previous mistakes vs chelsea be playing on his mind? he might be worried everyone will be talking of that going into the game for example)

Cech hasn't even been that good in an Arsenal shirt anyway, to give us reason to take a risk here. If he was an outfield player there wouldnt be an issue but one mental slip from a keeper and you can lose your side a game, we need to reduce any poetential of this happening.

Play Leno

GDeep™

League is very weak
No one has said Cech will “throw the game” or will not do his best. Don’t know why people keep repeating that.

What’s being said is that he’s a terrible keeper who has consistently cost us big games and made mistakes until Leno stepped in, is poor at penalties and now is talking to and agreed a deal to coach his former club despite still being contracted here, with his former club most likely being the leak for these details - this is enough to rule him out.

GDeep™

League is very weak
People sucking him off and calling him a model pro, **** off already, this scumbag lying **** is in contact with Chelsea over his new job next season.

Then he quickly drops a tweet to try and save any criticism and damage ahead of the EL final, doesn’t want it to jeopardise his place.

Guys a ****. **** off back to Chelsea.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why did he get a guard of honour in the last game of the season? This club is sickening at times.

Let Ramsey who has given blood, sweat and tears for this club, helped us win trophies etc, get his guard of honour. Keep the Chelsea **** out the way, or tell him to **** off to Stamford Bridge where those fans can honour him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think some pundits were pointing out that City had a cup GK but Ederson played in the final when it really mattered. Play Leno. We've honoured Cech and his personal feelings are irrelevant especially as he's not staying with us.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
No one has said Cech will “throw the game” or will not do his best. Don’t know why people keep repeating that.

What’s being said is that he’s a terrible keeper who has consistently cost us big games and made mistakes until Leno stepped in, is poor at penalties and now is talking to and agreed a deal to coach his former club despite still being contracted here, with his former club most likely being the leak for these details - this is enough to rule him out.

You've just contradicted yourself. You say nobody is saying that Cech wouldn't do his best, then you turn around and say his (apparently) agreeing to take a job as Chelsea's director of football while still under contract at Arsenal should rule him out. Well which is it?

The guy is retiring as a player and exploring job opportunities for after his career. What's wrong with that? And what difference does it make what club he will be joining? Would you feel better if it were Crystal Palace or West Ham? If you truly don't question whether or not he will do his best in the Europa League final, then what do new job opportunities have to do with anything?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I've no doubts that Cech is a model pro and would only do his best for us in the final. My issue is why play our No2? And why play him when he's leaving the club after the game? I don't get the loyalty thing, loyalty for what? For being an Arsenal player for 3 years at the end of his career? Or because he's been the EL keeper this season? Wenger started that bollocks and we need to stop it. Leno is No1, he will be here next season and hopefully well beyond, surely its far better to have him win a trophy with his team mates for the boost it would give to team spirit moving onwards!

Ok, I know Cech will play. Unless he somehow gets injured in training!

GDeep™

League is very weak
You've just contradicted yourself. You say nobody is saying that Cech wouldn't do his best, then you turn around and say his (apparently) agreeing to take a job as Chelsea's director of football while still under contract at Arsenal should rule him out. Well which is it?

Not contradicted myself at all. He’ll try his best, but everything taken into consideration raises too many doubts over his position.

Many didn’t want him anyway given his record in big games, his penalty record and Leno simply being better, now add the recent updates and you feel his position is very questionable going into the biggest game for Arsenal in over 10 years.

GDeep™

League is very weak
On the day of game, and the build up, so much is going to be centred around Cech. This being his last game, him playing for the reds against his blues etc. He’ll be doing so many interviews on this.

I can’t have it. Leno is our boy, and he’s better,

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Not contradicted myself at all. He’ll try his best, but everything taken into consideration raises too many doubts over his position.

Many didn’t want him anyway given his record in big games, his penalty record and Leno simply being better, now add the recent updates and you feel his position is very questionable going into the biggest game for Arsenal in over 10 years.

As I said before, there's a case to be made for starting Leno over Cech in the final. That case does not include anything surrounding his supposed move back to Chelsea's front office. When you bring that up as part of your argument for benching him in favor of Leno, you are questioning whether or not he will do his best.

An argument for Leno over Cech based on their current form as players could be as simple as "Leno is better than Cech so he should start."

GDeep™

League is very weak
As I said before, there's a case to be made for starting Leno over Cech in the final. That case does not include anything surrounding his supposed move back to Chelsea's front office. When you bring that up as part of your argument for benching him in favor of Leno, you are questioning whether or not he will do his best.

No you’re not. You’re just saying there are too many distractions surrounding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom