• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
"At one point we were 3rd in the league!!"

"Sustained top 4 push"

:lol: FFS
Especially when you consider Sp**s, Chelsea and Utd were trash this season.

“Conceded same as last season”, but we spent nearly 70M improving the spine from last season ffs.

say yes

forum master baiter
You think anyone would be complaining had we finished top 4 or won the EL and got CL football?

Most of this forum has turned on Emery, social media too from what I can see, yet here you are still crying about the “same old posters”.

You must be kidding? :lol:

You lot have been complaining all season, even when everything was going well.

You’ve never given Emery a fair crack of the whip which is why nobody takes your criticism seriously now even though it’s probably actually justified. The boys who cried Bunmery.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You must be kidding? :lol:

You’ve never given Emery a fair crack of the whip which is why nobody takes your criticism seriously now even though it’s probably actually justified. The boys who cried Bunmery.
Until this week I have been saying that Emery must be backed for next season no matter what happens this season. Not sure how much more fair you can be than that.

say yes

forum master baiter
Until this week I have been saying that Emery must be backed for next season no matter what happens this season. Not more how much more fair you can be than that.

Losing a cup final against decent opposition shouldn’t change that then.

“no matter what happens”

GDeep™

League is very weak
Losing a cup final against decent opposition shouldn’t change that then.

“no matter what happens”
We got battered though and looked totally clueless. What was the plan? Kolasinac? Embarrassing night.

This on top the total collapse in the league. Even you have to admit it’s been dreadful from Emery.

Obviously you have to vent, and I have, but I know Emery is here for another season.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
The main thing that graph shows is that we had a terrible end to the season.

When you look at it we were actually improving offensively and defensively until around GW31 and then our form just fell off a cliff.

Because we had played 17/19 home games, and only 14/19 away games, with some tough places still to go.

Although, it would've still been achievable had Emery decided to take the last two home games seriously.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

And you've been typing stuff like "wHeRe'S tHe iMpRoVeMeNt?" "#EmeryOut" all season.(though you were spot on with you hashtag)

And what do we have to show for? A great capitulation and an embarrassing defeat in the final. Awesome.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I'm really getting annoyed at some of the stupidity and short mindedness on this forum.

We were very good up until we suffered some serious injuries to key players. Bellerin in particular, but also Holding who was excellent, was looking like the real deal, was crucial in our ability to play out of the back and Welbeck who provided so much versility. Also I can't reiterate enough our improvement in results against the top 6.

We had the January window, but unfortunately due to FFP rules we couldnt get adequate replacements in. Can't blame emery for that. Suarez was worth a punt on a loan, probably the best quality we were going to get.

Truth is we should be in the top 4. However Crystal Palace was Unai's biggest mistake, bu then again if Mustafi didn't f**k up we'd probably gone on to win the game. We can say the same about Auba bottling the pen against Sp**s. Unfortunately it's sometimes it's the way it goes, the finest of margins. Just like Martin Fullop gifting us a goal at West Brom on the final day of the season to get top 4.

This was always going to be a transistional season. Now that Emery knows exactly what he's got he's going to have the opportunity to get the right players in and get rid of the dross.

Emery has built many successful teams with limited resources, He's a proven winner (4 Europa leagues isn't an easy feat, how many european trophies did Wenger manage to win?).

Last thing we need to be doing is chopping and changing managers. Look at the mess Utd are in....their club is in shambles right now. then look at Liverpool and Sp**s, both stuck by their managers and they've continued to progress.

Klopp went from 8th to 4th to 4th to 2nd. I don't buy this he didn't have a preseason nonesense. Having a new manager come in midseason automatically boosts performance it's a statistical fact. Look at Ole at Utd. Secondly Klopp finished 8th, but had the opportunity to have a good look at all the players who he wanted in and who he wanted out. Emery has finally had that same opportunity (it's not something you can't do over a preseason as you would need more time to asess as well as sell at the right price) I'm sure now, we already have all the players he want's out ready to be sold. ALso we have a list of players we need to buy.

Next season is the time we'll get to see a real Unai Emery team. Might be difficult for our instagram generation to understand, but to build anything takes time.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Emery hasn't developed any sort of visible playing philosophy that resulted in a recognisable style

He hasn't utilised the squad in the best way possible

He signed Suarez when it really wasn't what we needed

He neglected the youth. If I was Nketiah is be leaving tbh.

What has he done well?

No recognisable style? For our general shape, we play as compact as possible vertically, so the distance between our line of defence and our line of attack is short. For horizontal width, we want to use the width as much as possible in attack, but can operate in a more narrow width when defending.

When defending, we try to press the opponent’s buildup, but if it’s not successful, we will retreat instead of sending more players up to press aggressively. Because our wingers and wing backs are pushed so high up the pitch, our defenders are exposed to counter attack. To prevent that, we need both central midfielders to stay in position in order to protect the central area when the opponent starts a counter attack.

In attacking phase, we try to play from the back with a sweeper keeper. Central defenders are positioned wide to receive the ball, deep playmaker will drop deep to provide passing options and distribute the ball to more advanced areas. Wing backs are there to provide width, to put in low crosses. They will be pushed high up the pitch occupying the wingers position.
Wingers who operate behind the striker(s) are suppose to shift inside, to dribble past defenders, play short combinations, and to help overloading the opponent box alongside the striker(s), to score/assist. When they shift inside they take the responsibility of an attacking midfielder/second striker.

Unlike Wenger, Emery would make tactical adjustments in match, normally changing the formation or the positioning of a player, without changing the philosophy, shape and other tactical aspects. He will try to overload specific area of the opponent team, and avoid the vice versa. To avoid being outnumbered when we build up from the back, and try to outnumber the opponent when they try to build up from the back. He also makes decisive early substitutions.

Tactically we have improved a lot. It’s not Emery’s fault that our players individual quality are not good enough.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Especially when you consider Sp**s, Chelsea and Utd were trash this season.

“Conceded same as last season”, but we spent nearly 70M improving the spine from last season ffs.

You say that as if building a spine automatically = top 4. We had an ageing goalkeeper so had to upgrade for the longer term, We needed another CB from last season as I don't think Kos will be here next season, and remember, he was injured at the end of last year so we didn't know how ready he will be when he returned. We had no CDM so brought in Torreira who was great in the first half of the season but then tired out in the second half. All this rebuilding is part of the process. I say again, we were 12 points off 4th last season and only 1 point away this season.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Debate what? We look rubbish when we play football and we failed to do well in any of the competitions
That’s because of some players lacking individual quality rather than a tactical issue.
Neymar and Mbappe played attacking and attractive football under Emery.

say yes

forum master baiter
And you've been typing stuff like "wHeRe'S tHe iMpRoVeMeNt?" "#EmeryOut" all season.(though you were spot on with you hashtag)

And what do we have to show for? A great capitulation and an embarrassing defeat in the final. Awesome.

My problem is with hysterical, over the top, reactions. We had a horrendous end to the season which nobody really saw coming and I’m as disappointed as anyone about that but, equally, I’m not going to lose my mind over it. Football sucks sometimes.

I never wanted Emery to be our next manager (unlike you) but now that he’s here I’m going to give him a fair crack of the whip. That means not rushing to judgment until he’s had enough time at the club for us to fairly appraise him.

Whether he’s the right man to take us forward or not is still unclear. If he is: great. If not, at least he will have taken the sting out of replacing Wenger for the next manager we try. Either way, I’m genuinely excited about watching us next season and genuinely have hope for the future of this club again. Things are (finally) changing at a club which has stood still for far too long.

MustOezil

Emery has built many successful teams with limited resources, He's a proven winner (4 Europa leagues isn't an easy feat, how many european trophies did Wenger manage to win?).

idiotic comment.

Wenger delivered 20+ years of Champions League. He didn't have to play in Europa League because he was a level above it.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
idiotic comment.

Wenger delivered 20+ years of Champions League. He didn't have to play in Europa League because he was a level above it.
In wenger’s later years he bought average players to downgrade our squad.
He didn’t improved tactically when tactics has evolved from general concepts to something like a chess game which every small movements counts.
When the rest of the world was improving, but wenger still believes in his old values, he turned our team into a Europa League level team.

say yes

forum master baiter
idiotic comment.

Wenger managed 4 campaigns for us in the UEFA Cup / Europa League tbf.

Knocked out by Monchengladbach, PAOK, Galatasaray and Atletico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom