• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Which will be the next team to overtake Arsenal in domestic football?

Which will be the next team to overtake Arsenal in domestic football?

• 1. Wolverhampton Wanderers

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • 2. Everton

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 3. Newcastle United

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • 4, Accrington Stanley

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheEconomist

Established Member
I'm not too worried. We had a complete meltdown this season and we only just missed out on third place and fourth place. We might have been ****, but apart from city and Liveepool, so is everyone else

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
This thread :lol:

It will take a long long time until we are consistently worse than them 3, Everton can't and won't attract big names or a decent striker. Newcastle will take years and years of money. Wolves are somewhat of an unknown right now but unless we continue to do nothing we will remain ahead, we were 1pt of CL and 2pts off of 3rd ffs.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
This thread :lol:

It will take a long long time until we are consistently worse than them 3, Everton can't and won't attract big names or a decent striker. Newcastle will take years and years of money. Wolves are somewhat of an unknown right now but unless we continue to do nothing we will remain ahead, we were 1pt of CL and 2pts off of 3rd ffs.

I think the decision to let Ramsey leave, to preserve the wage structure, is an ominous sign. Özil probably is out and if Bellerin gets a big offer, he will be sold.

The team for next season will probably have Holding / Chambers / Sokratis at CB, bellerin, amn at fullback, torreira, guendouzi, willock, xhaka in midfield and Laca , Auba, mkhi, iwobi in attack.

CB, Midfield and fullback is really not top 6 level and if we dont buy 2-3 solid players, Everton is not much behind us in terms of squad quality.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Accrington Stanley have us in their sights. A few more abject summers & they'll overtake us alphabetically.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Troll thread.

Liverpool and Spuds have given us a template on how to build a team that can challenge without oil money. We should follow.
Good idea but the fact is, they have copied us as,we were about ten years ago. Both clubs have good owners, chairmen and managers. We don't. Our penny pinching and consequent desperation to kick on made us move away from what made us most successful. We destroyed all the good stuff and tried to write a new book just to show that we were changing for the better. Lol.

ptrcopp

Thing is while Everton, Wolves and maybe Newcastle have rich owners they can hardly just go to town and start splashing out.

Financial fair play etc. Obviously there's smart ways of adding money to match day revenue and things but if this new guy comes in at Newcastle he can't just start handing Benitez 200m this summer.

Well from what I understand he can't from the whole financial fair play point of view.

How Everton managed to spend so much was getting 80m for Lukaku or thereabouts meaning the likes of Keane and Richarlson were free.

John Stones 50m sale covered Siggurdson.

So they have generated a lot of that money invested themselves. Their other buys like Mina and Digne were 20-30m nothing out of the ordinary.

We do need investment but I think it's more of the fact the investment in the past has been poor.

I'm not entirely happy with last summer's buys but I do feel I have seen more from them albiet not much than a lot of others.

Imagine if Everton spent as well as their neighbours...

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Imagine if Everton spent as well as their neighbours...
Don't think Everton have 75m for a centre back or 65m for a keeper. They would need to be dealing some amount of drugs round brookside to get that.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You all know owners can't just put theit own money into clubs anymore? It'll not be like City or Chelsea rising to the top in the matter of few seasons. It'll take longer.

Direct invesment has, iirc, to end up in infrastructure or academy projects. Thing is though, it's still all dodgy as hell. If you research e.g. Wolves shirt sponsor, you won't find anything of substance. W88 is a dodgy betting company apparently from the Philippines. Wouldn't bet on Fosun - Wolves' onwners - not being involved in that. And even if they weren't, it's still dodgy af.

City can spend and operate the way the do because the club is owned by the same people as their main sponsors, overblowing sponsorship deals. One of the things they are being investigated for is exactly this kind of relationship. Now, while I don't think this will have big repercussions for City, UEFA will surely have a more close look at newly bought clubs.

They have enough bullshit to hide with the Spanish clubs, PSG and City. They surely don't want to raise more criticism by adding more clubs outright cheating on FFP. Their focus anyway lies on stripping top clubs of their inflluence and directing money their own way.

ptrcopp

Don't think Everton have 75m for a centre back or 65m for a keeper. They would need to be dealing some amount of drugs round brookside to get that.

I think the net spend over the last few seasons has been similar between Everton and Liverpool. Obviously the starting place was higher, but their investment has been poor in comparison.

Example forwards: In the same time frame, Liverpool have bought Mane, Shaquiri and Salah, (total £88) while Everton have bought Bolasie, Walcott, Tosun, Richardson and Bernard (Free) ( total £100m)

Example cb: excluding departures, Liverpool have spent a total of £80m on centre backs: Matip (free) Klavan, Van Dijk. Everton have spent £72m on Mina, Zouma (£7m loan fee), Keane, Williams.

If Everton continue selling well, but start buying well too and we continue to stagnate, they’ll shoot ahead

ptrcopp

You all know owners can't just put theit own money into clubs anymore? It'll not be like City or Chelsea rising to the top in the matter of few seasons. It'll take longer.

Direct invesment has, iirc, to end up in infrastructure or academy projects. Thing is though, it's still all dodgy as hell. If you research e.g. Wolves shirt sponsor, you won't find anything of substance. W88 is a dodgy betting company apparently from the Philippines. Wouldn't bet on Fosun - Wolves' onwners - not being involved in that. And even if they weren't, it's still dodgy af.

City can spend and operate the way the do because the club is owned by the same people as their main sponsors, overblowing sponsorship deals. One of the things they are being investigated for is exactly this kind of relationship. Now, while I don't think this will have big repercussions for City, UEFA will surely have a more close look at newly bought clubs.

They have enough bullshit to hide with the Spanish clubs, PSG and City. They surely don't want to raise more criticism by adding more clubs outright cheating on FFP. Their focus anyway lies on stripping top clubs of their inflluence and directing money their own way.

I’m pretty sure the amount this season is still €30m allowed to be covered by investments. However, this is subject to change.

But it would appear that any investments into any other part of the club could he swapped out of the budget in return for transfers. Owners can invest in anything except for player recruitment. There is also the ‘sale’ of tangible assets...

There are so many ways to get around it. But for a team like Wolves or Newcastle, that €30m they get, and any further little bits they can wrangle, is massive. If spent well, it may mean more two competitive players.

The problem with the whole FFP is that it was done in the aftermath of City’s takeover, or does seem as if it was made for them. Yet, the stadium sponsorship was the most dodgy of all, hidden behind a mask of it also being used to improve the stadium and creating a complex of facilities. But this freed up money that would have been spent on it previously as the land was purchased before the takeover.

There are ways around it. And I doubt they would do much more than investigate or issue a slap on the wrist fine like they did before -£49m fine , £32m of which was suspended. And that’s for City, a club UEFA obviously don’t get on with. Almost every club that has broken the rules has been allowed to form an agreement with UEFA., with fines of €13m for Monaco, of which €10 suspended, and €6m for Roma.

The whole thing is a joke.

Top Bottom